Randomly recommend an unknown or underrated game.

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Re: Randomly recommend an unknown or underrated game.

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Exhuminator wrote:
Xeogred wrote:But everyone swears by 2, so I might check it out sometime myself.

If you can deal with stuff like this:

https://youtu.be/4C9hhFIFHFQ?t=183

You oughta have a good time.

I think that just single handedly killed my desire to play that game.
Patron Saint of Bitch Mode
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Kingdom Hearts is like terrible fanfiction that somehow became greenlit.
touchofkiel
32-bit

Post by touchofkiel »

The sad thing is that Square's HD re-masters are really fantastic... not half-assed like some other PS2-on-PS3 remasters we've seen (cough Silent Hill). Between KH and FFX, those are the best re-masters on PS3.

I say it's sad because Kingdom Hearts aged worse than the others. I love the way they used the Disney worlds... but man, wonky camera, terrible platforming, and repetitive combat... no thanks.
I review (mostly old) games at: The Annals of Retrodom.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

I've read a few times that this is the best KH and is worth playing:

I have no idea if that is true though. I own a few KH games because hoarding, but I haven't been able to tuck my nuts deep inside myself enough to play them yet.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

One thing I will say for the first KH game is that there were some legitimately great boss battles, but the last boss was just obnoxious, and the game was overall too Disney and not enough Final Fantasy for my taste.
Ack

Post by Ack »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Kingdom Hearts is like terrible fanfiction that somehow became greenlit.

It literally got its start by two executives standing in an elevator.

Also, I played through the first one and thought it was an enjoyable game, but I stopped there. One was enough, and once I'd had my fill, I didn't need to ever go back.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Ack wrote:Also, I played through the first one and thought it was an enjoyable game, but I stopped there. One was enough, and once I'd had my fill, I didn't need to ever go back.

Ditto. I beat the first one. It was OK. I don't have a burning desire to revisit the other games in the series. (My children, however, really, really want me to play them.)
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I really enjoy the mainline entries in the series. It's hit-or-miss, because they like recycling content for the spinoffs. I thought the first game was awesome back in the day, and even though the second one removed some of the elements I liked (it's not quite as exploratory as the first), the improved combat really pushes it over the top as my favorite. I'll agree with Exhuminator's post of Birth By Sleep as well, it's a splendid game, and much better than the other spinoffs.

I'm looking forward to KH3. We've already gotten another KH game, at least in style, in Crisis Core, and what I see of FFXV almost looks KH-ish as well. But looks can be deceiving. We shall see!

(And yes, I really enjoyed the Disney elements. I think it's actually at its best when it leans more heavily on Disney than on Square. Donald Duck's reactions to things are absolutely priceless.)
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:One thing I will say for the first KH game is that there were some legitimately great boss battles, but the last boss was just obnoxious, and the game was overall too Disney and not enough Final Fantasy for my taste.

Man I tried a ton but I couldn't beat the last boss. Had sunk a ton of hours into the game and really enjoyed it back in 2005.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

retrosportsgamer wrote:
ElkinFencer10 wrote:One thing I will say for the first KH game is that there were some legitimately great boss battles, but the last boss was just obnoxious, and the game was overall too Disney and not enough Final Fantasy for my taste.

Man I tried a ton but I couldn't beat the last boss. Had sunk a ton of hours into the game and really enjoyed it back in 2005.

It probably took me a good 4 or 5 hours to beat it. The only reason I didn't give up out of frustration is because my friend was with me (the one who convinced me to play the game in the first place), and she kept giving me shit when I tried to bitch out.