Silent Hill HD Collection Thread

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
AppleQueso

Re: Silent Hill HD Collection Thread

Post by AppleQueso »

TEKTORO wrote:I've caved in and took your word for it and tossed this sucker.I didnt know you guys could have any influence but in all fairness I started to see the problems (I was in denial at first).The textures did end up bothering me and not the fact that is a bad game per say just the princible I like a little love in my games sorry Konami.ouch :|

Of course it's not a bad game, it is Silent Hill 2 and 3 after all.

It is a bad port though.
GigaPepsiMan
64-bit

Post by GigaPepsiMan »

Destrucroid gave this a 3/10, IGN gave it a 9/10.

You can tell who is sucking up to who.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

TEKTORO wrote:I've caved in and took your word for it and tossed this sucker.

what do you mean "tossed" it? I still want/need a copy!
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

Why not just pick up the ps2 games noise?

Even in nice shape, they shouldn't cost any more than this set. A bit less even.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

GigaPepsiMan wrote:Destrucroid gave this a 3/10, IGN gave it a 9/10.

You can tell who is sucking up to who.

uh well the Destructoid review is written about the PS3 port which has all the flaws you guys are talking about. The IGN review is about the 360 version. So...
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

AFAIK the 360 version is just a little less buggy. It's still got screwy lighting and missing effects.
brunoafh
Next-Gen

Post by brunoafh »

AppleQueso wrote:Why not just pick up the ps2 games noise?

Even in nice shape, they shouldn't cost any more than this set. A bit less even.

I'm wondering the same thing? I mean I like these HD collections and PS3 ports just as much as you, but this one is just blatantly inferior to the PS2 games and less expensive at the same time.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

AppleQueso wrote:Why not just pick up the ps2 games noise?

Since I've never played either, I'm not sure how bothered I'll be by changes/bugs/voices if I can't compare to the original. I don't necessarily have a preference of PS2 or PS3 versions, but here's some random thoughts as to why I'm still interested in the PS3 version at all...

SH2 is $18 at GS and SH3 is $20. But tracking down both of them complete and in good condition is going to be a much more time-consuming task than just buying the PS3 game sealed for $2 more.

And space. I know it seems minor, but both games together will save a tiny bit of shelf space ( :lol: ).

And one thing that I slightly hate to admit... I really love that little chime that goes off when you earn a trophy in a PS3 game. Believe it or not, there was a time not too long ago that it was rare for me to beat most of the games I played. I find that sometimes just looking through my trophy collection motivates me to finish a game that I haven't yet.

At any rate the trophy thing is minor in this case. But I should say that if I went PS2 route, I'd probably just buy SH2 as that's the one I'm really interested in. Better chance of my playing 3 on PS3 since it would just be tagging along with the game I'd be buying the release for.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

I just feel like if you're going to play these games, might as well play them the right way. All that fog/those effects etc really help with the overall mood. For games that rely as heavily on atmosphere as these, that's really important.
brunoafh
Next-Gen

Post by brunoafh »

That makes sense, the whole experience of having a collection kind of deal on PS3 is definitely a unique selling point. I hear you on the space thing too, the MGS collection allowed me to clear some space from my PS2 shelf, and the DMC collection is going to clear even more (unless it's botched too...). But, the price points on both Amazon and GS are very close to the price point of this collection, and from what I've seen, this port looks visually terrible. I mean you saw the screen comparisons, it's not like it's just little nitpicks here. It's inferior, and there are a lot of glitch complaints too. It's pretty much guaranteed you'll have a better experience with the PS2 or PC versions. This isn't even a full collection either, another thing that bothers me.

I'm loving these HD collections, but if the collection is half-assed and significantly worse than the games were in their original format, count me out. Having said all that, it's not like I'm trying to change your mind or anything, and truth be told you'll probably love the games no matter how you play them.