Games Beaten 2015

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Post by dsheinem »

If I lock my carts together and play "Sonic 3 and Knuckles" is there anything that would be excised from either game? Could I reasonably count it as two games (S3 and S&K) in my list?
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

Post by Key-Glyph »

dsheinem wrote:If I lock my carts together and play "Sonic 3 and Knuckles" is there anything that would be excised from either game? Could I reasonably count it as two games (S3 and S&K) in my list?
I know the games were originally developed to be one title and all, and it's true that I've played them less as stand-alones than in combination, but I do consider them separate titles. I think of the combined play as more of a "mode" for enjoying both games than a completely unique experience.

That said, the final boss from Sonic 3 is dropped when it's connected to Sonic & Knuckles, which might make you feel as though you haven't truly "beaten" the game. A few of the tunes from Sonic & Knuckles override the ones in Sonic 3 as well (Knuckles' theme, and I believe the miniboss theme), but that's just a detail.

You do lose content by not taking advantage of the Lock-On Technology™©®, though, since Knuckles isn't a playable character in S3 unless the game is connected with S&K, Tails isn't playable in S&K without S3 attached (I think), S&K doesn't have a save feature on its own, and there's also some chaos emerald stuff that might get changed up if the two games aren't linked. The ending you get is dependent on the number of emeralds you've collected, so it's an important factor.

If you're really concerned, you could beat S3 solo, then connect it to S&K and start playing them together from there. S&K will recognize the save files in S3 and let you continue on from where you left off.

Looks like this Sonic Wiki has a decent list of the changes if you scroll down a bit.

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

dsheinem wrote:If I lock my carts together and play "Sonic 3 and Knuckles" is there anything that would be excised from either game? Could I reasonably count it as two games (S3 and S&K) in my list?

Only if you let noise consider Elevator Action beat.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Finished Link's Awakening last night by staying up far later than I should have. Still a masterful game, but the item swapping really started to wear on me, especially on the 3DS where the Start button is further down the console. Let me map it to the X button! Please! I mean, you've already got Select on the Y button!

Anyway, if you haven't played this particular Zelda, you're missing out. It's a deft mix of both A Link to the Past and the original game's structure, and is far better than one should have ever expected from such an underpowered device. I still think it's probably the best 2D Zelda game, although it's so close to LttP that I don't quibble with those that put that game first.

I should also mention that I ripped through the final dungeons far quicker than I expected, and I also went through the Color Dungeon, which is actually kinda short. The reward for that is Red or Blue Clothes, which increase attack or defense, just like the Piece of Power or Guardian Acorns. It's probably game-breaking, but whatevs. I'm also frustrated that I died a singular time early on, because my save file will forever be blighted by that '001'. I'm not losing sleep over it, though, I went through the game many times in the past without dying, and would even try to no-hit run the final boss.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Updating my list of beaten games, starting to get out of hand...

January:
1) Rollergames
2) Bayou Billy
3) Whomp 'Em
4) Love+ (repeat, B-)
5) Love+ (repeat, B)
6) Zen: Intergalactic Ninja
7) Battletoads & Double Dragon
8 ) Battletoads (repeat, first time with Game Genie, this time using save states, nowhere near legit win... but it was "beaten")
9) Battletoads (repeat, legit, no Game Genie, no continues, no save states!)
10) Rockin' Kats
11) The Little Mermaid
12) Tiny Toons Adventures
13) Tiny Toons Adventures 2
14) Code Name: Viper
15) Bayou Billy (completely legit!)
16) King of Dragons (on Capcom Classics Collection Reloaded)
17) Ninja Gaiden III: The Ancient Ship of Doom
18) Ninja Gaiden II: The Dark Sword of Chaos
19) Ninja Ryuukenden III
20) Treasure of the Rudras
21) TMNT: Tournament Fighters (SNES) (repeat)
21) Ninja Gaiden III (SNES)
22) Ninja Gaiden (SNES)
23) Wrath of the Black Manta
24) TMNT (NES) (save states)
25) TMNT (NES) (legit)
26) Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (SNES)

February:
27) Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (repeat)
28) The Krion Conquest
29) Jackie Chan's Action Kung-Fu
30) Yume Penguin Monogatari
31) Street Fighter 2010 (save states / rewind)
32) Street Fighter 2010 (repeat, legit run)
33) Conquest of the Crystal Palace
34) Aladdin
35) Trojan (save states)
36) Trojan (legit run)
37) The Last Remnant
38) Remember Me
39) Bloodrayne Betrayal
40) Rex Rocket

March:
41) Fester's Quest (non-legit)
42) Fester's Quest (legit)
43) Justice League Task Force
44) Monument Valley: The Forgotten Shores
45) Gunman Clive 2
46) Freedom Planet (Lilac, 84 lives lost)
47) Freedom Planet (Carol, 43 lives lost)
48) Link's Awakening DX
Last edited by Sarge on Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Did you ever use the rocket launcher?
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

1. Grandia (PlayStation)
2. Jungle Hunt (Xbox - Taito Legends)
3. Jungle Hunt (Atari 2600)
4. Jungle Hunt (Plug & Play - ColecoVision Flashback)
5. Donkey Kong (Atari 2600)
6. Donkey Kong (Intellivision)
7. Donkey Kong (ColecoVision)
8. Bubble Bobble (NES)
9. Side Arms: Hyper Dyne (PSP - Capcom Classics Collection Remixed)
10. 1941: Counter Attack (PSP - Capcom Classics Collection Remixed)
11. Ys: The Ark of Napishtim (PSP)
12. The Ninja Kids (Xbox - Taito Legends)
13. Neutopia (TurboGrafx-16)
14. Golden Axe Warrior (Xbox 360 - Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection)
15. Phantasy Star Online Ver. 2 (Dreamcast)
16. Growl (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
17. Arabian Magic (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
18. Dungeon Magic (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
19. Gekirindan (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
20. Ys II (Saturn - Falcom Classics II)
21. Darius Gaiden (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
22. G Darius (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
23. Giana Sisters DS (DS)
24. RayStorm (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
25. Mr. Do! (ColecoVision)
26. Beauty & the Beast (Intellivision)
27. Boxing (PlayStation 2 - Activision Anthology)
28. Crystalis (NES)
29. Dragon Warrior (NES)
30. Faxanadu (NES)
31. Tombs & Treasure (NES)
32. Kirby's Dream Land (Game Boy)
33. Kirby's Adventure (NES)
34. Kirby Super Star (SNES)
35. Hoshi no Kirby 64 (Nintendo 64)
36. Kirby: Triple Deluxe (3DS)
37. Dig Dug (Wii - Namco Museum Megamix)
38. Phoenix (Xbox - Taito Legends)
39. Phoenix (Atari 2600)
40. Pleiads (Xbox - Tecmo Classic Arcade)
41. Kangaroo (Atari 2600)
42. Final Fantasy Adventure (Game Boy)
43. Gorf (Atari 2600)
44. Richard Scarry's Huckle and Lowly's Busiest Day Ever (Pico)

Gorf
Gorf is a great game, but this is a questionable port. The biggest issue has to do with the shooting mechanics.

Due to hardware limitations it's not unusual for many of these old games to "allow" only one of the player's bullets on the screen at a time. Gorf 2600 takes it a step further; once a bullet has been fired you can shoot another one but it causes the previously fired one to disappear.

This takes some getting used to and it really skews the game's difficulty in the wrong direction. For instance, the first level is now the most difficult as meticulous timing and aiming is required to complete it without dying.

On the flipside, due to some other programming alterations - such as enemies, projectiles, and shields being removed - the final two levels are shockingly easy.

If the 2600 is your only second gen console this is still a worthy game. Otherwise, I recommend checking out another console or computer port. I still can't get over the fact that the arcade original hasn't been included on any Midway compilations.

Richard Scarry's Huckle and Lowly's Busiest Day Ever
The flower shop is on fire. A pig is lost and needs directions to Main Street. The bakers are baking pies and cupcakes. Park benches and wastebaskets require painting. A hide and seek game commences near the sandbox. There are pictures to be drawn and fun to be had.

This was a busy day indeed. Perhaps the busiest day ever.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Richard Scarry's Huckle and Lowly's Busiest Day Ever
The flower shop is on fire. A pig is lost and needs directions to Main Street. The bakers are baking pies and cupcakes. Park benches and wastebaskets require painting. A hide and seek game commences near the sandbox. There are pictures to be drawn and fun to be had.

This was a busy day indeed. Perhaps the busiest day ever.

:lol:

I am also shocked that there has never been a good home console port of Gorf. According to Wikipedia, however, there are some copyright issues associated with it; so that may be the reason it is not included in any recent Midway collections.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

MrPopo wrote:Did you ever use the rocket launcher?

Is that question for me? Rocket launcher?
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I am also shocked that there has never been a good home console port of Gorf. According to Wikipedia, however, there are some copyright issues associated with it; so that may be the reason it is not included in any recent Midway collections.

Good point.

Yeah, one level is a Space Invaders rip-off and another is a Galaxian rip-off. The Galaxian level isn't in the ports. Maybe Namco had an issue but Taito didn't care?

Midway produced the Galaxian cabs in the US which is kind of humorous.