Randomly recommend an unknown or underrated game.

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
touchofkiel
32-bit

Re: Randomly recommend an unknown or underrated game.

Post by touchofkiel »

I'll second that Red Star recommendation. Though I definitely don't recommend the lousy comic on which it's based. The game also has a quality PSP port.
I review (mostly old) games at: The Annals of Retrodom.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

The Red Star - Yes! A great game! It got too tough for my friend and I fairly rapidly because we were drunk and didn't care to read anything. I bet with successive tries it would've evened off when we got the rhythm of blocking and combos (or bothered to read the moves they fed us). Still, it was clear that they got a really good formula for fun that isn't quite like other games.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
corn619
Next-Gen

Post by corn619 »

I'm very surprised The Red Star never had a remake or sequel. It's so much fun to play, especially with a friend. I think it would do well as a downloadable release on Steam or elsewhere.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

The Red Star is boss. I love that game.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I will admit to playing that game many many times.

The fact that it received no console ports is downright criminal.

I figured you'd already played Night Slave. You've probably also played through Rusty by now. For those that don't know what Rusty is:

Rusty / PC-98, EPSON PC286/386, MS-DOS 3.3 / 1993

Side-scrolling action game developed by C-Lab in 1993 for the PC-9800. You play as the titular character, Rusty, in her efforts to rescue a variety of girls who have been kidnapped or transformed in to monsters by the evil vampiress Bloody Mary in her efforts to restore count Monte Carlo. It's a total Castlevania ripoff but in a good way.

Screenshots:

Giant Bomb and HG101 have nice articles on the game:

http://www.giantbomb.com/rusty/3030-28250/

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/rusty/rusty.htm

----------

The Red Star is a good beat 'em up with shooter elements, very nice co-op game. However it's obviously not unknown or underrated.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Exhuminator wrote:The Red Star is a good beat 'em up with shooter elements, very nice co-op game. However it's obviously not unknown or underrated.

Speak for yourself, I've literally never heard of it before now.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

I was speaking for myself and my own opinion.

Also, I'm done with this thread. It's clearly not worth my time or effort.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Exhuminator wrote:I was speaking for myself and my own opinion.

Also, I'm done with this thread. It's clearly not worth my time or effort.

Whoa whoa whoa, I wasn't trying to attack you here. I was just trying to point out that maybe it was fairly unknown! I like to think I'm pretty knowledgeable on games but it was a new one to me!

I should have added more smily faces :?
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

I will explain my thoughts on The Red Star. The Red Star was released on PS2, PSP, iOS, and had an Xbox demo. It was reviewed by at least 43 publications including the big dogs like GameSpot and IGN. It has a Metacritic average of 70 across three platforms, which I think is a fair rating. Based on that criteria, The Red Star is not unknown or underrated. But that is my personal opinion, of course. And the game is certainly worth playing by all means.

The reason I'm quitting this thread is not because of what you said. Rather I think that my taste for weirdo games isn't shared by the majority of the board. Therefore the idiosyncratic suggestions I'm making in this thread are largely ignored. They are too left field for most to be interested in trying. In that regard, it's a silly waste of my time to continue putting the effort into posting them. That doesn't mean the thread can't live on without me. I hope it does.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Exhuminator wrote:I will explain my thoughts on The Red Star. The Red Star was released on PS2, PSP, iOS, and had an Xbox demo. It was reviewed by at least 43 publications including the big dogs like GameSpot and IGN. It has a Metacritic average of 70 across three platforms, which I think is a fair rating. Based on that criteria, The Red Star is not unknown or underrated. But that is my personal opinion, of course. And the game is certainly worth playing by all means.

The reason I'm quitting this thread is not because of what you said. Rather I think that my taste for weirdo games isn't shared by the majority of the board. Therefore the idiosyncratic suggestions I'm making in this thread are largely ignored. They are too left field for most to be interested in trying. In that regard, it's a silly waste of my time to continue putting the effort into posting them. That doesn't mean the thread can't live on without me. I hope it does.

I enjoyed reading about your suggestions, but as they were often import games for systems I didn't have I couldn't really offer many opinions on them :lol:

This thread has been pretty useful I think. I've definitely noted down more than a few games on my watch list from it, thats for sure.