Games Beaten 2016

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2016

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Sarge wrote:
Exhuminator wrote:
ElkinFencer10 wrote:I've actually never played Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (believe it or not)

Dude. Tonight. Play it.

I will second this. Seriously, it's the absolute best SNES platformer in existence, in my opinion.

Once I eventually get a copy of it, I'm going to. I HATE Baby Mario, though (as I mentioned in my review of Yoshi's New Island), so I've always been a bit hesitant. :?
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:I HATE Baby Mario

That's why the real punishment in Yoshi's Island is not death, but hearing Baby Mario's wailing. The trick is to play well enough that you don't hear him.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Exhuminator wrote:
ElkinFencer10 wrote:I HATE Baby Mario

That's why the real punishment in Yoshi's Island is not death, but hearing Baby Mario's wailing. The trick is to play well enough that you don't hear him.

True. I gotta get gud.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

Sarge wrote:
Exhuminator wrote:
ElkinFencer10 wrote:I've actually never played Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (believe it or not)

Dude. Tonight. Play it.

I will second this. Seriously, it's the absolute best SNES platformer in existence, in my opinion.

I'm going to counterpoint this and to tell you that I find Yoshi's Island to be a rather boring game. I'll fire it up every so often and get a few worlds in and just lose steam, cause to me it feels like a game that chose style over substance.

Count it an unpopular opinion though, because I'm obviously in the minority here. But that's my thoughts on SMW2 and why I rate it so low.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

No I agree. It's an experimental game that never clicked with me. It lacks that Mario speed and "flow" that I love.
Ack

Post by Ack »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:No I agree. It's an experimental game that never clicked with me. It lacks that Mario speed and "flow" that I love.

I also am not a fan...but then I'm not a fan of platformers in general.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I'm in the camp that thinks Yoshi's Island is meh.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

What is wrong with you people?!

Ahem. Nah, different strokes. At least give it a go, Elkin. It's a much better game than New Island, in my opinion. I still need to get back to Woolly World, it's the only one that seems to have captured the magic of the SNES game.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Definitely some interesting lists here. I'm happy to see SMB2 (US) getting some love. It's insanely different... but honestly some of the levels are a bit more complex and bigger than some in SMB3. It definitely has some cryptic design at times though with the doors, keys, and pot/pipe locations haha, or having to jump on enemies to fly over things. But damn I just love it. Plus it brought us the Shy Guys! Coolest enemies in the series. I'm a big fan, but still probably like SMB3 over it.

Yoshi's Island is freaking massive, which can be hit or miss depending on the mood. I finally finished the whole thing again after replaying it on the Wii U. It's definitely fantastic. I think over the years when I tried replaying it, I just lose some steam in the monkey world area... has all this sludge, those tripping acid cloud things, and really annoying levels. But the last worlds are amazing, so I'm glad I finally beat it again after all these years. The final boss theme is amazing. And the caves theme is one of my all time favorites, it's funny how much atmosphere it invokes for a Mario game. You'd think you're going to walk by Samus at some point.

All that said I'm not sure if it fits in with the main series, with the egg throwing gimmick and some other weirder ideas. But by far, one of the best platformers out there.

I haven't really played Lost Levels much in probably over a decade, since I played the All Stars version a lot. I could beat everything on it, including the secret world 9, and A-D. There is no denying the impact the original SMB1 had on me, but it's insane how much it improved and changed with the first two sequels.

New Super Mario Bros has been very hit or miss for me, but the Wii U one is really good and one I finally beat. The Luigi expansion was cool too.

In the end it's comparing a lot of gold to more gold. These games age really well to me, I had a blast marathoning most of them again a year or two ago, probably around the time I got 3D World and also finally got to Galaxy 2. It was a chain reaction of amazingness. Mama Mia.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Xeogred wrote:finally got to Galaxy 2

I keep forgetting to play that. I'll have to make it my next Wii game.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.