Together Retro: Dark Forces

Join in on our classic gaming club!
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Dark Forces

Post by Xeogred »

The Jedi Knight series is absolutely awesome (not sure about Jedi Academy though... didn't get too into it, but you don't even play as Kyle Katarn so does it really count!?)

The first Dark Forces is really good. I'm a hardcore Doom/DN3D fan all the way, but I have to say Dark Forces has some very impressive level design. I've been messing with dosbox a lot myself lately playing Ultima Underworld (which is amazing!), maybe I'll try getting back into Dark Forces with you lot here!

As for DFII: Jedi Knight, it's easily been one of my top favorite FPS's for years. It was practically the only decent game I had growing up on our crappy family computer. The level design is so crazy in that game, I love how it's almost a platformer in a way too. The game can be quite long on a first run or two, but I was surprised I think I beat it in like 5 hours when I ran through it again last year. Guess that goes to show how much I played it back in the day. :lol: With all the force powers and level secrets too I'd say it's got great replay value. The atmosphere is really good too, I love how huge most of the levels feel.

I also beat Jedi Outcast last year and while it's not as good as the first two (stripped away the platforming and had some annoying level design), it was still great stuff for the most part. Kyle is just an awesome character all around, almost like if Han Solo had the force. Story wise it was very good.

So anyways yeah, for those of you who haven't touched much of this series, definitely check out the first three games for sure.
NebachadnezzaR
64-bit

Post by NebachadnezzaR »

Ryvius wrote:(not sure about Jedi Academy though... didn't get too into it, but you don't even play as Kyle Katarn so does it really count!?)

Of course it does, it's freaking awesome! I at least liked it a lot. It probably had few innovations for a sequel, but was definitely an improvement on the JKII formula.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

NebachadnezzaR wrote:
Ryvius wrote:(not sure about Jedi Academy though... didn't get too into it, but you don't even play as Kyle Katarn so does it really count!?)

Of course it does, it's freaking awesome! I at least liked it a lot. It probably had few innovations for a sequel, but was definitely an improvement on the JKII formula.

I disliked almost everything about Academy, the story was multiple times weaker than Outcast, the level system was again not as good as the traditional one found in Outcast, the light saber system took over the game, while it was great in Outcast, it was still a FPS.

Academy feels like a low rated third person action game due to how much is put into the light saber system.

Academy = weakest in the series (I hardly consider it part of the DF series).
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I skimmed through the thread and didn't really see anyone mention this, but what's your guy's config in dosbox for this game? I remember messing with it a ton back when I got it off Steam when they had DF collection sale, but yeah. For some reason I just could not get it running really well now that I think about it.

Totally in an old school FPS mood lately so if I can figure this out I'm definitely hitting it up again.
Hatta
Next-Gen

Post by Hatta »

All I do is turn on fulldouble (double buffering) in dosbox.conf. And I replace DOS4GW with DOS32A. Use the latest version of dosbox of course.
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
Redline9
24-bit

Post by Redline9 »

Sweet, Dark Forces. I just noticed this thread. This and TIE Fighter made for some great 90s Star Wars PC gaming.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I'm having a tough time getting into this lately. I get WHY people like it. But I don't know. I'm thinking I'm too consumed with other stuff lately which makes it hard for me to get into Dark Forces. I guess I'm just not in the mood to do so much exploring right now. I guess other FPS games that I'm used to require way less. They're a lot more just-kill-shit games. So while I get that this is way better, it's not really clicking with me right now. Unfortunately.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

noiseredux wrote:I'm having a tough time getting into this lately. I get WHY people like it. But I don't know. I'm thinking I'm too consumed with other stuff lately which makes it hard for me to get into Dark Forces. I guess I'm just not in the mood to do so much exploring right now. I guess other FPS games that I'm used to require way less. They're a lot more just-kill-shit games. So while I get that this is way better, it's not really clicking with me right now. Unfortunately.

Better get in the mood on time for next months game - I just bought the GBC deja vu 1 & 2 port ready, I assume thats the version you''ll be playing too? I'm skeptical, so I hope it was worth it :D
SwooshBear
Next-Gen

Post by SwooshBear »

noiseredux wrote:I'm having a tough time getting into this lately. I get WHY people like it. But I don't know. I'm thinking I'm too consumed with other stuff lately which makes it hard for me to get into Dark Forces. I guess I'm just not in the mood to do so much exploring right now. I guess other FPS games that I'm used to require way less. They're a lot more just-kill-shit games. So while I get that this is way better, it's not really clicking with me right now. Unfortunately.

I feel the same. Too much school and pokemon keep distracting me.
Incognito D wrote:Mere months after buying my original GBA, Nintendo trolled me hard by releasing the SP.

Check me out on twitter: SwooshBear742
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

alienjesus wrote:
Better get in the mood on time for next months game - I just bought the GBC deja vu 1 & 2 port ready, I assume thats the version you''ll be playing too? I'm skeptical, so I hope it was worth it :D

Deja Vu was my pick. Don't worry. I'll be playing. It's a great game.