Overwatch (the thread of the game)

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
marurun

Re: Overwatch (the thread of the game)

Post by marurun »

Even ancient Blizzard stuff like the Diablo box rarely if ever goes on discount. You'll probably pay sticker price.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I don't think Blizzard has ever released their digital stuff to key resellers; it's all account bound at the time of purchase. So the only discounts that could exist would be on boxed copies, and there's no incentive for third party sellers to do so.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

MrPopo wrote:So the only discounts that could exist would be on boxed copies, and there's no incentive for third party sellers to do so.

I think a minor exception (unless it was an official price cut) is the Collector's Edition, which Gamestop (at least) now sells for $79.99 instead of the $129.99 it was at launch.

Since Blizzard's CEs tend to make X-Boxes look svelte, it's a pretty nice deal if you actually want the contents. Certainly worth the extra $20 over the Origins edition if you're buying a boxed copy.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

isiolia wrote:
MrPopo wrote:So the only discounts that could exist would be on boxed copies, and there's no incentive for third party sellers to do so.

I think a minor exception (unless it was an official price cut) is the Collector's Edition, which Gamestop (at least) now sells for $79.99 instead of the $129.99 it was at launch.

Since Blizzard's CEs tend to make X-Boxes look svelte, it's a pretty nice deal if you actually want the contents. Certainly worth the extra $20 over the Origins edition if you're buying a boxed copy.

So what do I get for the $80 (CE) or the $60 (OE) that I don't get for the basic ($40)?
Ack

Post by Ack »

The mental image of Bobby Kotick personally using your extra money to fill his bank vault so he can swim through it like Scrooge McDuck?
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Ack wrote:The mental image of Bobby Kotick personally using your extra money to fill his bank vault so he can swim through it like Scrooge McDuck?

:lol:

I think that what is weird to me is how obsessed Overwatch players seem to be with skins. I can't see paying more for skins for characters that, from my "haven't yet played" perspective, all seem annoying AF.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I've put a good ~60 hrs into Overwatch. I don't give an F about skins.

I'm on Paladins now, though. Overwatch is so 2015. And I'm only half-kidding. Overwatch is still great. But I haven't played it in months. I was really into Overwatch for months, but nobody was around to play w/ me and I got burnt out.

If you're wondering - Popo is too busy w/ his single player backlog. :wink:
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Relative to the digital versions, the Origins Edition is almost the same as the Game of the Year Edition. Both have five unique skins, plus bonus items for other Blizzard games. The GoTY one has the 10 loot crates. The boxed one might have postcards and a sticker or something too, not sure, I was gifted the CE and they were included in that.

The CE has a fairly large Soldier 76 statue, visual sourcebook (175 pages, actually nice), soundtrack CD, and possibly additional skin (it was a pre-purchase bonus, but I think mine had it anyway). Not sure if the standard disc case is the steelbook either, but the CE's is.

More or less, the CE is the one with actual physical extras if you care about them.

Looks like Amazon sells it for $80ish too.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

I played an hour or so last night with noise.

It's....ok? I remember this and Battleborn coming out around the same time...that game was a lot more fun, at least based on my early Overwatch impressions. I'll keep at it though...
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I was afraid that would be your reaction. The couple rounds we played last night were a VERY poor representation of Overwatch. We got stuck on teams that seemed to have no idea how to push, or even be aware of the objectives. Even when there were bottlenecks they just kept flocking to the same choke point. It was bad. Please don't let that 30-60 mins paint a picture of what the game is actually like.