Games Beaten 2012

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2012

Post by BoringSupreez »

And now Portal has been felled yet again.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
Goregasm
16-bit

Post by Goregasm »

XIII

picked this bad boy up for 4 dollars. I hadn't heard of it before but it looked cool so I took a chance. turned out to be really fun. I loved the comic book style. well worth 4 dollars. I find it a bit strange that no one really talks about this game, it was amazing!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Goregasm wrote:XIII

picked this bad boy up for 4 dollars. I hadn't heard of it before but it looked cool so I took a chance. turned out to be really fun. I loved the comic book style. well worth 4 dollars. I find it a bit strange that no one really talks about this game, it was amazing!

I've only played it a bit, but found it enjoyable. How long did it take you to beat it?
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Super Mario 3D Land 3DS
Professor Layton & The Spectre's Call DS
Trip World 3DS VC
Streetpass Quest II 3DS
Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse - Episode 301: The Penal Zone PC
Kirby's Fun Pak VC
Golden Axe Warrior SMS
Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse - Episode 302: The Tomb of Sammun-Mak PC
Ax Battler: The Legend of Golden Axe Game Gear
Gitaroo Man Lives! PSP
Panzer Dragoon Saga Demo Saturn
Asterix SMS
Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse - Episode 303: They Stole Max's Brain! PC *NEW*
Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure DS *NEW*
Total: 16

There may be a lot of shorter games in here, but I still feel like I'm on a roll this year. 16 games in one month is pretty good going :D. I'm planning on starting up xenoblade soon though, so things might change...

Anyhow, They Stole Max's Brain was another solid entry in the Devil's Playhouse series of Sam and Max games. It was perhaps a bit worse than The Tomb of Sammun-Mak, but it was on par with The Penal Zone, if not better. It started out with a cool genre change where Sam, in angry film noir detective mode, questions people for info about who stole max's brain. It has a neat system where you interrupt their babblign with different statements to provoke new responses. In the end, it mostly came down to trying all of them to see what happened, but it was nice to get something fresh and new for a change. After that, we were back into the standard gameplay, and by the end of this section, we [not really spoilers] get max's brain back. Interestingly enough, theres still a good chunk of the episode after this point, which is nice, but again, more of the same. That's never a bad thing, but I was hoping for the full episode to be kinda film noir-esque like the start, even if the gameplay was the usual, but unfortunately no such luck. Still, Devil's Playhouse is 3 for 3 now, consistently good. That already makes it better than Season Two!

Henry Hatsworth was a fun little game. It shocked me that it was developed by EA, because it's surprisingly niche, quite original and really fun. The gameplay is pretty simple - there's the platform mode, in which you run through the level whacking enemies with your cane or sword and jumping over pits, and the puzzle mode which plays a lot like puzzle league. Both sections are perfectly adequate, but on their own might have seemed a bit simplistic. Combined together though, they make for an interesting and quirky game. Killing enemies on the top screen turns them into blocks on the bottom screen, where they must be matched to stop them attacking you (which happens if they scroll from the bottom puzzle screen to the top action screen. Matching enemies and blocks in turn on the puzzle screen lets you get items to use to attack enemies, restore your health or power up your projectiles. Filling a puzzle bar by matching blocks will also power you up into young hatsworth, giving you more health and refilling your life. This is helpful, because this game is pretty tricky, I definitely died a few times, and there were some definite sticking points in some levels that made me fume. The game can also get quite repetitive sometimes. However, the platforming controls wonderfully (especially the wall jumping), the puzzle mode is fun enough, and the game is quirky, creative and funny, so I'd definitely recommend it.
Flake

Post by Flake »

1/2 Cannon Spike (DC)
1/9 Mega Man X4 (GCN)
1/22 Warhammer 40,000: Dark Crusade (PC)
1/28 Police 911 2 (Arcade)
1/29 SNK Gals' Fighters (NGPC)

Oh man, I freaking love Gals' Fighters. Even as an 8-bit, handheld fighter, this game is more fun, consistent, balanced, and polished than a lot of games coming out on consoles today. If SNK ever got the band back together, I would hope that Gals' Fighters might get re-visited with a modern iteration.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

The pc version had starforce - a very bad form of DRM that claimed one of my harddrives. And the console ports suffered from a bad port. I love the game, great voice work and simply a lot of fun. I own the PC and Xbox versions and have the soundtrack.
sabrage
Next-Gen

Post by sabrage »

-Serious Sam 3
-Super Mario World
-Donkey Kong Country
-Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge

GOD those last two bosses in Castlevania were hard, especially Dracula. Those two alone added a good two hours to my playtime. I'm so glad it's over...
Goregasm
16-bit

Post by Goregasm »

noiseredux wrote:

I've only played it a bit, but found it enjoyable. How long did it take you to beat it?

It took me around ten hours I think
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

sabrage wrote:-Serious Sam 3
-Super Mario World
-Donkey Kong Country
-Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge

GOD those last two bosses in Castlevania were hard, especially Dracula. Those two alone added a good two hours to my playtime. I'm so glad it's over...

DUDE! Already beat a game I sold ya? Nice.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Goregasm wrote:
noiseredux wrote:

It took me around ten hours I think

Only 10 hours? I'm going to have to finish that game then. I really liked the first 20-30 minutes I played of it.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry