Best Way to Take Emulation in Your Pocket

Emu Talk Goes Here
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

JF wrote:Hi,

I have tried with PSP and NDS, but you cannot carry them in your pocket... too bulky for me.

Now I use a GBA Micro with NES, SMS, ZX Spectrum emulators and a couple of retro GBA games: Outrun, SF2, etc. It is small enough to have it in my pocket.

I just bought a GP2X... but it is in customs now...I hope to have it tomorrow.

Regards,

JF

Well the GP2X won't be any smaller than the PSP or DS.
But the Micro is a compelling device -- just not doesn't offer as many options.
JF
8-bit

Post by JF »

racketboy wrote:Well the GP2X won't be any smaller than the PSP or DS.
But the Micro is a compelling device -- just not doesn't offer as many options.

Hi racketboy,

Yes, you are right.. I received mine today... I don't know why but I thought it was smaller than the DS Lite :( It is not.

Regards

JF
montoyafan

Post by montoyafan »

I love using my DS Lite for emulation, NES and SNES emulation is still buggy and not perfect, but I have had no problems using Lameboy to emulate Gameboy games. I also have a GBA flash cart that allows me to play all of my GBA roms.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

I have a GP32 and Tapwave Zodiac (128 Meg), but have used PSP and GP2X. I still think the best overall is the Tapwave. 90% of the NES, SNES, Genesis, and TG16 hucard library all work very well. Playing Recca 92, Dragon Spirit, Chrono Trigger, and Phantasy Star IV at work was just awesome. Then my battery died and I just ordered a replacement. On the upside you have two spots for SD cards (2 gigs by default - can be software modded to accept up to 4 gig) so you can store all your games on one 2 gig, and a wikipedia dump on the other. Mobile Hitchhickers Guide to the Galaxy...
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

I'm working on an article about emulation on the DS at the moment (slowly - sorry Racket :) ).

I can tell you SNES and Genesis on the DS is very primitive (anyone disagrees with that?) - I personally wouldn't bother with SNES at all (your mileage may vary). I have to give props to Montoya for putting up with the crappy SNES emulation on the DS ;) If you want to emulate that, probably GP2X or PSP is the way.

I can put the list of the emulators I will cover on the article here (arguably the best ones for each system). I don't have it on me at the moment (I don't think Racket will mind me advancing it).

8-bit stuff is emulated rather well on the DS, some of the emus have touch screen support for the options stuff.
If you're into emulating home computers (Spectrum, C64) the touch screen keyboards make the DS a superior option to PSP and GP2X (although I wasn't going to cover them on the article, as the crowd here doesn't typically care for those systems - they are bigger in Europe).

The form factor of the DS is (arguably) the best one out there - I love the clamshell design for carrying it around without worrying so much about screen scratches... I think the DS lite isn't that hard to carry in your pocket, either (and although I typically get jackets with large pockets, it fits in the front pocket of most of my shirts)

Ivo.
Dave Auto
16-bit

Post by Dave Auto »

Ivo wrote:I can tell you SNES and Genesis on the DS is very primitive (anyone disagrees with that?)
Ivo.

I'll take a stab at it ;)
SNEmulDS v.0.6 alpha runs a large number of games very well (which I take to mean running at or just slightly below fullspeed, with sound and a minimum of graphical glitches). It obviously runs better with games that are less graphically demanding, like platformers, beat-em-ups, fighting games or shmups. While this leaves out some significant titles (any game that had an extra chip, like Mario Kart or Mario RPG, and I'm led to understand that a few big-name RPGs like Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy III/VI manifest some graphical bugs that make them unplayable at some point), it includes a great deal of SNES classics. It plays Super Mario World, Link to the Past, Street Fighter II, R-Type III and Contra III very well, but those games you can already play on GBA. Some never-ported gems that play very well include:
-Super Punch-Out!!
-Super Metroid
-Super Mario All-Stars
-Super Castlevania IV
-TMNT: Turtles in Time
-Mega Man X
-Legend of the Mystical Ninja
-Gradius III
-Super R-Type
-Final Fight 3
SNEmulDS has a very functional touchscreen interface that is loaded with options to tweak games that don't run as well as those mentioned above. It's not perfect, but hopefully it will continue to improve.

jEnesisDS 0.7 might even be a stronger performer. Many games run pretty much perfectly, at full speed with adequate sound. There are occasional graphics glitches in some games, and possibly the biggest problem is that the DS can't duplicate the Genesis' resolution in the emu's hardware renderer, so there is some screen spillover on the sides. Still, important titles like Sonic 2 and Gunstar Heroes run great, and jEnesisDS sports a very nice touchscreen UI.

I don't know that I would characterize either of these as "primitive," for a handheld. Then again, it's been a very long time since I sampled emulation on a PSP, for the sake of comparison. At that time I saw Mega Man X running on a PSP with the frameskip so high it made my eyes hurt. I expect the GP2X to work great, as it's built for emulation and such, but if the PSP is now on par with what a PC emulator can do, then I can see how DS would look primitive by comparison. Does PSP totally leave DS in the dust these days when it comes to compatibility and speed for 16-bit emulators?
"Oh, no, not in Utica, no. It's an Albany expression."
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

Dave Auto wrote:I'll take a stab at it ;)

I was incorrect in particular with jEnesis, it's not as bad as I thought (and the "very" shouldn't be there at all - I should have just said "primitive", which is true compared with what you get in PCs).

I think the SNES is still bad with all the fiddling to get things to run and the low compatibility %, although, as you say, if you intend to play a small number of classics that happen to work well, excellent :)

Thanks for the input, I actually haven't dabbled that much in the SNES one so that helps (I've been wasting the time in configuring all the emus for other systems...). It's clear that you know more about those than I do.

Ivo.
moses155

Post by moses155 »

theres a neo geo emulator that recently came out for the ds called neods it can play most neo geo games
at almost fullspeed
4ppleseed
64-bit

Post by 4ppleseed »

PSP slim wins hands down for me. Main reason is the actually emulators are still very much alive. I currently have PSPectrum (ZX Spectrum), GPSP (GBA), NesterJ (NES), SNES 9X TYL, and DGEN (Genesis) on my slim with a handful of roms in each and it runs all of them perfectly. Not to mention the PSX support (Harmful Park, I looove you... :oops:)

I'm sure there's some games they won't run - I just haven't found them yet :D

ANNNNNDD... it of course plays PSP games on top. Which is an added bonus ;)
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

moses155 wrote:theres a neo geo emulator that recently came out for the ds called neods it can play most neo geo games
at almost fullspeed

Yeah, I'm looking forward to giving that one a try!