The best controllers thread

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: The best controllers thread

Post by RCBH928 »

Currently I have 0 knowledge about Saturn JP exclusives but I should double check on that. I am a huge fan of the Saturn's marketing though. The looks, the game box, the cd's, the controller. gives so much nostalgia and very reminiscent of the time. I just looked it up on ebay and prices seem to have gone much down along with the games.
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

RCBH, I think you should give the Saturn a try. Even though the library has some good RPGs and adventure games, there are a lot of great pick up and play action games on the system. There are also various ODEs for the console now, so you don't have to invest in physical games if you don't want to take on that cost.

Regarding the original topic of the thread, controllers, I really like the look and feel of 8bitdo's offerings. I have 2.4g SNES and Genesis controllers and they're great. They pair instantly and I can't feel any noticeable lag. The Genesis one is especially impressive as it's their own design and very comfortable. It's slightly bigger than the original 6-button controller, which is great, as that controller felt slightly too small for my hands.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

If emulating on a PC is something you do, check out Nintendo's Pokken Tournament controllers. They've got your traditional D pad, four face buttons, and two shoulder buttons, so they're perfect for emulation up through SNES. I emulate VERY rarely, but on the rare occasions I do, that's always the controller I use since it uses a regular USB port.
Patron Saint of Bitch Mode
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Thanks for the suggestions!

Note wrote:RCBH, I think you should give the Saturn a try. Even though the library has some good RPGs and adventure games, there are a lot of great pick up and play action games on the system. There are also various ODEs for the console now, so you don't have to invest in physical games if you don't want to take on that cost.

Regarding the original topic of the thread, controllers, I really like the look and feel of 8bitdo's offerings. I have 2.4g SNES and Genesis controllers and they're great. They pair instantly and I can't feel any noticeable lag. The Genesis one is especially impressive as it's their own design and very comfortable. It's slightly bigger than the original 6-button controller, which is great, as that controller felt slightly too small for my hands.

I stayed clear from the Saturn do to rarity, price, and no emulation. I will give it a shot I have a huge backlog though.

I bought 8bitdo dongle to make a ps3 controller work on mac/windows and I had to fight with it. I hope the 2.4g are more seamless?! Aren't bluetooth controllers even better since you do not have to stick anything in the computer? Or are the bluetooth more troublesome? 8bitdo do have a very nice collection of retro controller replacements.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

2.4ghz are mostly always better for computer. Bluetooth receivers and their stacks are a mixed bag. Various revisions and each manufacturer has their own software and stack. Old chips can be a struggle.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

There's some fun games on the Saturn. Elevator Action Returns (though I think that got a re-release not long ago on modern consoles), Astal (still only available on the Saturn), and Three Dirty Dwarves and Shinrei Jusatsushi Tarōmaru (both also Saturn only titles). A run n gun (sort of), a platformer, a beat 'em up and a Ninja Gaiden/Strider/Shinobi style game

Dynamite Deka was pretty sweet too aside from the difficulty being a bit unfair at times like a lot of arcade ports. I got fairly good at it though. That game was a fun 3d beat'em up.

And arguably the best versions of Mega Man 8 and Mega Man X 4 too. Plus, Shinobi Legions. Lots of fun 2d platformers on the Saturn.

So there were some good action oriented games on there. What's interesting about the Saturn to me is that a lot of the games that get the most attention didn't really grab me (Nights into Dreams, Guardian Heroes, etc.), but the above games and some others certainly did.

It also has the best 2d fighters along with the Neo Geo and the Dreamcast (Dreamcast has some sweet 3d ones too). Back then, 2d fighters were fun and accessible unlike the overly technical, tournament crowd focused ones we get today.

Marvel Super Heroes
Vampire Savior: The Lord of Vampire (a.k.a. the third Darkstalkers game)
X-Men vs Streetfighter
Astra Superstars

All awesome.

I didn't actually play any rpgs on the Saturn other than messing around with Dragon Force a bit. I WANTED to play Grandia, but it was never localized so i ended up playing the inferior but still great Playstation version
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

great suggestions will be adding them to my backlog. As for the fighters, shouldn't I totally skip them as the Dreamcast selection is better?