26%
In Defense Of LJN
24%
Ready To Launch
29%

Total votes: 34

pierrot
Next-Gen

Re: Vote for September's Together Retro!

Post by pierrot »

If launch titles won, I’d be making it 9/9/99 again, at my place.

Also just realized it’s going to be the twentieth anniversary of the US launch, in September.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Just to be clear bout LJN...it wasn’t a developer; it was a publisher. Many of its best games, like the aforementioned Friday the 13th and A Nightmare on Elm Street, were developed by great companies like Atlus and Rare. Other games were developed by Beam Software and Software Creations...and...uh...Probe... I think the variety of developers associated with LJN contributed to the fact that games published by LJN varied wildly in quality, and I think the volume and wild variety of games published by LJN would make for a really interesting TR.

Also, Alien 3 for The SNES is awesome.
opa
Next-Gen

Post by opa »

noiseredux wrote:
opa wrote:I voted LJN cause I've always wanted to check those out. From what little I've played I liked Friday the 13th. Wouldn't mind an excuse to grab a copy.

Friday The 13th is a solid game - once you understand what the heck you're supposed to be doing. It doesn't explain itself well enough, but you wrap your head around it, it's a lot of fun. I have tons of love for that game.

That said, Nightmare On Elm Street is even better. You've got different 'dream masters' that you can switch into after unlocking them. So you start as just a kid, but you can be an athlete who throws a javelin and jumps way higher; a ninja with throwing stars and a jumpkick; a wizard who can hover. It's awesome. Also, each level has daytime and "nightmare" versions. Oh, and it's a rare NES game that supports 4-player co-op. I think the only NES game I ever played this way. And the icing on the cake: the music is phenomenal.

Well dang, I may have to play these regardless of TR.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Just to be clear bout LJN...it wasn’t a developer; it was a publisher. Many of its best games, like the aforementioned Friday the 13th and A Nightmare on Elm Street, were developed by great companies like Atlus and Rare. Other games were developed by Beam Software and Software Creations...and...uh...Probe... I think the variety of developers associated with LJN contributed to the fact that games published by LJN varied wildly in quality, and I think the volume and wild variety of games published by LJN would make for a really interesting TR.

This is a great point that I wish I had made in the initial post. Rare and LJN go hand-in-hand. There's tons of gamers who adore Rare and have probably overlooked LJN published games.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

noiseredux wrote:This is a great point that I wish I had made in the initial post. Rare and LJN go hand-in-hand. There's tons of gamers who adore Rare and have probably overlooked LJN published games.

+1. I love Rare and didn't realize until just now that they made Nightmare on Elm Street. Music by David Wise, too!
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

I locked in my votes, for the two least popular options so far. Ready to Launch would really be so apropos for the 20th anniversary of the Dreamcast's North American launch. I don't know if you planned that or not, Noise.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

pierrot wrote:I locked in my votes, for the two least popular options so far. Ready to Launch would really be so apropos for the 20th anniversary of the Dreamcast's North American launch. I don't know if you planned that or not, Noise.

Actually had Game Boy 30th in my head. But yeah, appropriate either way.
opa
Next-Gen

Post by opa »

Launch games is winning?? Why play Basic Math on Atari when we could be hunting Jaws!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

opa wrote:Launch games is winning?? Why play Basic Math on Atari when we could be hunting Jaws!

you make a strong point!
marurun

Post by marurun »

What if you love math but are afraid of sharks? What then, eh?!?!
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.