SNES Emulation

Emu Talk Goes Here
peace4myheart
128-bit

Post by peace4myheart »

I have SNES and Genesis emulation on PS2. Just burn them on CD-R and use it with swap trick or mod PS2. Works pretty well and looks great with component.
Dave Auto
16-bit

Post by Dave Auto »

I have never found SNES emulation on Dreamcast satisfactory. I've tried several builds of two of the (supposedly) most advanced emulators for Dreamcast, and both topped out at around 90% speed. Which is acceptable for RPGs, I suppose, but if you don't already own a Dreamcast, I wouldn't bother seeking one out for this purpose.

I did, however, recently soft-modify my XBox, and I've been ecstatic with the quality of emulation for SNES. It was super easy and inexpensive. Assuming you already own an XBox memory card, all you need to do is drop $12 at Gamestop on:
-a used copy of Splinter Cell (the very first one): $2
-a memory card-to-usb adapter (look for a 360 adapter by Datel; the original XBox adapter is included, unseen, inside the package): $10

You'd be well-advised to do as much research as you can before performing the modification, but all you really need to know can be found at this great tutorial:
http://lifehacker.com/software/geek-to- ... 299809.php
(the memory card adapter you bought replaces the Action Replay for the purpose of this tutorial)

All the steps in the tutorial sound a little intimidating -they were for me, at least!- but when it came time to actually perform the mod, I was surprised at how quick and easy it really was. I have heard of things going wrong, though, so do as much research as you can and feel confident that you know what you're doing before you perform the mod.

Playing SNES games on my XBox, as opposed to on real hardware, is better for me in my current situation: currently, my only t.v. is a 32" LCD HDTV, and the XBox makes the SNES games look great at 480p, something the real hardware couldn't do. I also really like the standard XBox S-Type controller, and find it a pretty good substitute for a SNES pad: the D-Pad is nice and the button layout is similar. If you absolutely need an original pad, however, you're in luck: because the XBox controller ports are actually standard USB 1.1, it's easy enough to find a USB-to-XBox adapter (or hack your own) and use a SNES Smartjoy adapter.

Since you don't already own a Dreamcast, I would definitely pursue softmodding your XBox instead: I think you'll be much, much happier with the results.
"Oh, no, not in Utica, no. It's an Albany expression."
crackoaf
16-bit

Post by crackoaf »

Ok softmodding my xbox doesn't sound totally intimidating and I never play on xbox live so thats not going to be an issue. I will just have to figure out how to use IRC/FTP.
crackoaf
16-bit

Post by crackoaf »

What is the best snes emulator for xbox?
crackoaf
16-bit

Post by crackoaf »

Dave Auto wrote:I have never found SNES emulation on Dreamcast satisfactory. I've tried several builds of two of the (supposedly) most advanced emulators for Dreamcast, and both topped out at around 90% speed. Which is acceptable for RPGs, I suppose, but if you don't already own a Dreamcast, I wouldn't bother seeking one out for this purpose.

I did, however, recently soft-modify my XBox, and I've been ecstatic with the quality of emulation for SNES. It was super easy and inexpensive. Assuming you already own an XBox memory card, all you need to do is drop $12 at Gamestop on:
-a used copy of Splinter Cell (the very first one): $2
-a memory card-to-usb adapter (look for a 360 adapter by Datel; the original XBox adapter is included, unseen, inside the package): $10

You'd be well-advised to do as much research as you can before performing the modification, but all you really need to know can be found at this great tutorial:
http://lifehacker.com/software/geek-to- ... 299809.php
(the memory card adapter you bought replaces the Action Replay for the purpose of this tutorial)

All the steps in the tutorial sound a little intimidating -they were for me, at least!- but when it came time to actually perform the mod, I was surprised at how quick and easy it really was. I have heard of things going wrong, though, so do as much research as you can and feel confident that you know what you're doing before you perform the mod.

Playing SNES games on my XBox, as opposed to on real hardware, is better for me in my current situation: currently, my only t.v. is a 32" LCD HDTV, and the XBox makes the SNES games look great at 480p, something the real hardware couldn't do. I also really like the standard XBox S-Type controller, and find it a pretty good substitute for a SNES pad: the D-Pad is nice and the button layout is similar. If you absolutely need an original pad, however, you're in luck: because the XBox controller ports are actually standard USB 1.1, it's easy enough to find a USB-to-XBox adapter (or hack your own) and use a SNES Smartjoy adapter.

Since you don't already own a Dreamcast, I would definitely pursue softmodding your XBox instead: I think you'll be much, much happier with the results.

I should be able to buy the memory card, and the memory card to usb at my local gamestop?
Dave Auto
16-bit

Post by Dave Auto »

crackoaf wrote:I will just have to figure out how to use IRC/FTP.

I had never used IRC or FTP before I performed this mod, either :) It's easier than it looks.

crackoaf wrote:What is the best snes emulator for xbox?

Here's your one-stop shop:
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=386399

crackoaf wrote:I should be able to buy the memory card, and the memory card to usb at my local gamestop?

I found both at my local Gamestop two months ago when I did the mod. A used, third-party card cost me $5. There might be more/less XBox stuff at your local store, of course, depending on traffic.
That's a picture of the Datel Transfer Kit for XBox 360. The package states that a second dongle for original XBox cards is included inside; trust that statement, 'cause you can't see it from the outside of the package. It looked like there were a few price stickers behind the one that said "9.99," and I've found that accessories that get their prices slashed are not the most popular items in the world, and might be hard to find, so keep your eyes peeled.

Again, do as much research as you can, and good luck. As a huge fan of Dreamcast homebrew/emulation, my only regret is not having modded my XBox sooner :) Enjoy!
"Oh, no, not in Utica, no. It's an Albany expression."
crackoaf
16-bit

Post by crackoaf »

When you are on irc, what is a typical amount of time to wait for xbins to give you ftp login information? I have been waiting 20 min with no response
crackoaf
16-bit

Post by crackoaf »

So still no luck trying to get the files on IRC. What about this?

http://www.xbox-hq.com/html/postt23400.html

Sounds like I just use a bittorrent to download this, burn it to a cd. Similar procedure, easier to acquire files. Any risks?
Jared
8-bit

Post by Jared »

crackoaf wrote:Ok softmodding my xbox doesn't sound totally intimidating and I never play on xbox live so thats not going to be an issue. I will just have to figure out how to use IRC/FTP.

You don't even need to get the stuff required on that form of a soft mod. You can do this yourself with some research and by opening your Xbox up. It will involve you doing things to the hard drive by connecting it via IDE to your PC. You could also do a hard drive swap, if you desired a larger hard drive.
IMJ
24-bit

Post by IMJ »

Potential silly comment here, but why dont you just run them on PC and buy a USB controller from Best Buy? They sell them dirt cheap and they might as well be PS1 controllers, which have the same basic layout as older NES anyway, but also have analogue sticks if you need them.