Together RPG - Persona 3 - 2/1 - 4/1

Level up here
MrPopo

Re: Together RPG - Persona 3 - 2/1 - 4/1

Post by MrPopo »

I'd recommend starting with Persona 3 Portable if you can. It carries over the improvements made in Persona 4, so you won't feel like it's harder to go back to from Persona 4.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

MrPopo wrote:I'd recommend starting with Persona 3 Portable if you can. It carries over the improvements made in Persona 4, so you won't feel like it's harder to go back to from Persona 4.

The catch there is, in order to enjoy FES, I'd have to go back and beat P3 on PS2 all over again. Or is FES not worth the effort?
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

That's the thing about P4 too. I always hear Golden or whatever adds a ton of stuff or something. But that was PSP (or Vita?) only I think.

But who am I kidding, not too interested I guess... maybe I should just give 3 a shot! I'm a bit tired of hearing about P4 from some friends. lol

The first two look like a different series.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Exhuminator wrote:
MrPopo wrote:I'd recommend starting with Persona 3 Portable if you can. It carries over the improvements made in Persona 4, so you won't feel like it's harder to go back to from Persona 4.

The catch there is, in order to enjoy FES, I'd have to go back and beat P3 on PS2 all over again. Or is FES not worth the effort?

I assume you're talking about The Answer storyline in FES. That doesn't require an existing save file; you start with reset levels and you have no access to the Demonic Compendium ever. So you have to get by with what you can capture and what you can fuse from what's currently in your party. So it's basically a hard mode, as your ability to craft tailor made personas for bosses is severely reduced. It also cuts out the social aspects, so your enjoyment of FES will come down to how much you enjoyed Tartarus.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

MrPopo wrote:I assume you're talking about The Answer storyline in FES.

Sorry, yes, The Answer is what I'm talking about.
MrPopo wrote:That doesn't require an existing save file; you start with reset levels and you have no access to the Demonic Compendium ever.

That sounds like you can select The Answer from the main menu and just start from there? I was under the (admittedly assumed) impression The Answer only opened up after you had beaten the primary game first.

If I can play P3P on PSP, and then pickup The Answer on PS2 with my copy of FES, that sounds ideal. Ideal enough that I'll make P3P my next JRPG actually.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Yup, that's exactly correct. I played Persona 3 first, then FES came out, picked that up and started with The Answer.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Fantastic.

Loading P3P on my PSP now. 8)
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

My take is play FES first (P3P misses all the cutscenes), YouTube the story parts of The Answer, then play P4G. Seems the best investment of time for story purposes.

Or do whatever, idk.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

TSTR wrote:(P3P misses all the cutscenes), YouTube the story parts of The Answer, then play P4G. Seems the best investment of time for story purposes.

I figure I'll just Youtube the anime cutscenes, because after more research I've seen that P3P has a faster pace given its location menu-navigation, and dialogue-box driven cutscenes.

--

So I started P3P tonight, put nearly two hours into it. I'm starting to see why people like this series, pretty intriguing little formula it's got going on. The writing thus far has been above average, and the mysterious atmosphere is inviting. Granted I'd like to know more about the main character, he's basically a blank slate right now (outside a hint to his parents' apparent demise). I went with the male protagonist as he's canon and referenced in other offshoot Persona games. One thing I'm not 100% on is how often I'm supposed to be exploring Tartarus. You can easily derp around every night just doing whatever, and at the moment the game doesn't make exploring Tartarus a necessity, or even suggest a routine for doing so.

Fun little game so far at any rate, hope to see more members jump on this Together RPG.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

You should consider Tartarus to be your main leveling area. At regular points in the story you will have to face bosses outside Tartarus; while there are enemies on the short path to the boss it isn't really the best place to grind. Tartarus is quite huge; you'll find that you can only explore so high until the next story boss, so that ends up being a good barometer. You will have to get to the top at the end of the game if you don't do the bad ending (the incredibly obvious dialog choice that asks "do you want the bad ending or do you want to keep playing the game?").