The 2016 October Horror Marathon

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Re: The 2016 October Horror Marathon

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

I'm interested in getting into some horror gaming this month, but I've realized that I don't have any, at least not with me at college. :lol: I'll have to see what's available for PS3.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Hilarious image.

I've been meaning to ask if any of you guys are over on Letterboxd?
http://letterboxd.com/Ryvius/

I guess if anyone wants to look at my planned watchlist for anything that sticks out, let me know:
http://letterboxd.com/ryvius/watchlist/

I have been thinking about hitting up some more of David Cronenberg's stuff. The Fly was amazing. Videodrome sounds awesome.

I finally watched Night of the Living Dead for the first time last year and it was great. Definitely need to hit up Dawn of the Dead next!
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

VIDEODROME is badass. LONG LIVE THE NEW FLESH

If you haven't gone down the Romero zombie hole, you're missing out. Although really, you can stop after DAY OF THE DEAD. Though LAND OF THE DEAD is somewhat entertaining. The last two, DIARY and SURVIVAL, are mehhhhhhhhhhh city.

I'll be watching HALLOWEEN on Halloween per usual, but there's gonna be some other scary stuff going on this month for sure.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

yeah Videodrome is my favorite Cronenberg. Rabid is up there as well.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Videodrome is excellent, and you should follow it with eXistenZ, though I also really love The Brood.

Who am I kidding? I haven't seen a Cronenberg movie I disliked.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, while I have already begun watching horror movies, none of these count towards my goal of 31 in October. This year I'll be watching movies with monsters in them. Ghosts, goblins, vampires, werewolves, zombies, killer robots, aliens, these are all fine.

The one big rule is that it can't be a human killer, so most slasher movies are out...though after some debate with my girlfriend(she chose the monsters idea since she knows I love special effects), she'll allow Nightmare on Elm Street movies to count due to Freddy's dream powers, though not Friday the 13th since Jason doesn't actually become undead until part 6. This also means she is fine with Freddy vs. Jason, so I think I'll watch that at some point since it will wrap up both of the main lines for the NoES and Ft13 series.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

MOVIE #1 FOR THE MONTH:
Okay, my first entry is bit unorthodox. I'm going to be watching Backcountry.

Via Rotten Tomatoes:
Rating:R (for language and some gruesome creature violence)
Genre: Drama , Horror , Mystery & Suspense

TOMATOMETER
Average Rating: 6.7/10
Reviews Counted: 42
Fresh: 37
Rotten: 5

Audience
Average Rating: 3.3/5
User Ratings: 2,175

.. might count under Ack's "no humans" category as well. Love that idea btw.

I heard it mentioned on YouTube back when it came out and the reviewer was very surprised at how much he liked it. I've had this on my DVR for probably a year. Not sure why but I know it will scare me. The idea of being trapped and lost in the woods with a killer bear stalking you is freaking terrifying to me :shock: . I've been saving it for October! A killer bear movie is not a traditional horror movie, but I'm looking forward to it almost more because of that.

More to come on my thoughts/a small review. Probably not going to watch it until Sunday night.

Alternate movie poster. Large photo, netscape users beware.

My Retro Achievements | Games Beaten 2023 & 2024 |
xJAGOx = Xbox Gamertag | Console Mods
Ack

Post by Ack »

Hey Jag, if you end up liking Backcountry, there are actually a handful of other killer bear movies worth checking out:

Grizzly is basically Jaws, only instead of a shark, it's about an enormous bear in Yosemite.

In The Night of the Grizzly, Clint Walker is a cowboy-turned-rancher who must contend with crappy neighbors, ex-cons, and a killer bear nicknamed 'Satan'.

Anthony Hopkins and Alec Baldwin face off against Bart the Bear and each other in the Alaskan wilderness.

And finally...

Mutant bears! This is worth watching for the sleeping bag explosion kill alone.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Ack wrote:Hey Jag, if you end up liking Backcountry, there are actually a handful of other killer bear movies worth checking out:

I actually remember renting The Edge on VHS when it came out :). I liked it. The general idea absolutely did freak me out but it was mostly suspense. Seems like Backcountry will have a bit darker tone. Have you seen it?

Will look up those others!

Ack

Post by Ack »

Unfortunately I have not, but Backcountry seems to be part of a slate of killer bear movies in the last few years. It along with Grizzly Rage, Bear, Unnatural, Into the Grizzly Maze, and Grizzly Park have all come out in the last decade.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Ack wrote:Unfortunately I have not, but Backcountry seems to be part of a slate of killer bear movies in the last few years. It along with Grizzly Rage, Bear, Unnatural, Into the Grizzly Maze, and Grizzly Park have all come out in the last decade.

Okay cool. I look forward to seeing if it lives up to my expectations & sharing here.

I think it may "stick" with me a bit more than some because I grew up hunting & fishing. I've spent some significant time outdoors. My house now backs up to a 12,000 acre nature reserve. Even that close to civilizatin, I realize how quick you can get very lost. Add in crazy bear stalking you, as if the elements aren't enough ... NO SIR.