A Podcast Thread

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Re: A Podcast Thread

Post by casterofdreams »

J T thanks for the Podcast Addict app recommendation. I was using sound cloud for awhile but the subscribe feature never worked. This is so much better!
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Mysterious University is a great one if you're into odd... well mysterious things... everything from artificial intelligence to medicine men to Bigfoot to time travel. I'm not a plus member, stick with the free content personally.

I use Stitcher but I believe podcasters have to submit directly to Stitcher. It's a proprietary RSS feed of sorts. Very nice set up with most of the major podcast but not a universal RSS app... will check out recommendation on pg 1.

Enjoy We're Alive! Still need to dig into all the recommendations on that thread as well.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Think you mean Mysterious Universe. :P

Yeah that's a good one too, guess I forget about it a little since it's only weekly or bi-weekly. Wish they put out more. I guess they do for plus members, but yeah.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Xeogred wrote:Think you mean Mysterious Universe. :P

Yeah that's a good one too, guess I forget about it a little since it's only weekly or bi-weekly. Wish they put out more. I guess they do for plus members, but yeah.

Ha! yes, auto correct fail there.

Although Monsters University is a funny movie in its own right ;)
marurun

Post by marurun »

Match 3, 8-4 Play, Retronauts, and Die Cast are my gaming podcasts lately, all for different reasons. I get irritated with the Retronauts folks a lot, though, since the two main hosts who are experienced game journos do a lot of talking out of their ass, which bothers me, since when they do they get details wrong. Seriously, I know it's a casual podcast, but fact check your damn selves.

For non-gaming podcasts, I enjoy Imaginary Worlds (fantasy and sci fi podcast), 99% Invisible (design podcast), Radiolab, and Radiolab's More Perfect (about the Supreme Court). If I've missed the week's Wait Wait Don't Tell Me or Ask Me Another on the radio I'll often download those as well.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Alan Watts died before the podcast was invented, but his recorded teachings are now available in podcast form. He was one of the foremost experts on Eastern philosophy and religion (in the West anyways) and a major influence on my thinking and personal spirituality (for lack of a better term).

http://www.alanwattspodcast.com/
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

Post by Key-Glyph »

Aw, thanks for the VGM Jukebox mentions, you guys! It's not for everyone, but Josh and I have the best time making it. Of all the creative collaborations I've been a part of, it's been my favorite.

I honestly don't listen to a ton of podcasts, but ones I'd like to mention are:

The Legacy Music Hour: Brought up already by Xeogred, but these guys are the real deal. Brent Weinbach and Rob F. Switch are two comedians -- who aren't doing comedy here, but have the best kind of bromance chemistry -- who play self-selected tunes from the 3rd and 4th generations of video gaming. They've been releasing music-only versions of their episodes too in what are being called the "LMH mixtapes." I actually compile and master those, because I am in love with these men and their mission. You will love them too. Join the cult.

Pixeltunes Radio: Another VGM podcast hosted by two dudes who were strangers when they started. These guys maintain a great balance between a comfortable, casual vibe and good research, which is often a relatively rare achievement in the podcasting world. They talk about themselves and their own experiences sometimes, but it doesn't overwhelm the material, and as a bonus they pepper in topic-appropriate fake commercials for fake gaming products which I find pretty hilarious. One of my favorite things that they do when they focus on one particular game for an episode is walk you through the game's soundtrack chronologically while outlining the story. It's like the VGM version of a Let's Play, which is pretty amazing.

Teenagers with Attitude: A group of grown men are rewatching their way through Power Rangers, and every week they groupchat and recap the last show they've seen. If listening to a bunch of internet nerds discuss Power Rangers episode by episode for two hours at a time sounds boring or awkward, then you haven't experienced the hilarious and insightful mesh that these regulars weave amongst themselves. They tackle really deep and important issues, and they're not here to just fawn over a favorite piece of culture -- they dissect it and scrutinize it, all while bringing the laughs and still appreciating what it meant to them as kids. Highly recommended.

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

I've been listening to some of the recommendations in this thread, and liking what I have heard so far.

Legacy Music Hour:
This show is great fun. I've listened to the first 3 episodes now. I am so much more of a Brent than a Rob. By the first episode, when they were competing with each other for a theme song, I could already tell. After that, I've been able to guess several of the tracks Brent will pick for the show topics because I can just tell that we think alike. It's funny how in these first episodes they are so excited to present their track selections, and they really seem to think the other host is going to be blown away by the music, but they are usually received with a "meh". :lol: They are both kind of dismissive of the other. It's a weird dynamic, but I like the tunes they come up with. It's a good mix of songs I love and songs I have never heard.

Idle Thumbs
I listened to the first episode so far. I like their repartee. They are enjoyable hosts. It's sort of a time warp to listen to people talk about Fallout 3 as it came out, but since I'm usually a few years behind, it works well to hear people talk about games while they are still hyped. They have some interesting discussion. In this episode I liked that they wondered how many fanboy types haven't actually played more than a few hours of the game they espouse to love. Like was there someone who played Fallout for a few hours, absolutely loved the concept, but ended up quitting before even getting halfway through the game, never played Fallout 2, but then was on messageboards saying "You better not mess up the Fallout series Behesda!" just before part 3 was released?

Thanks for the recommends everybody. I'm hoping to keep checking out more.
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

Post by Key-Glyph »

J T wrote:Legacy Music Hour:
This show is great fun. I've listened to the first 3 episodes now. I am so much more of a Brent than a Rob. By the first episode, when they were competing with each other for a theme song, I could already tell.
:lol: That's amazing. I was so much more a Rob than a Brent when I first started listening -- he had me at the "sad elephant" description -- and Rob and I still have a stronger musical connection of sorts.

One thing that's great about their podcast, though, is how Brent and Rob are two necessary parts to the whole who balance each other so well -- both musically and disposition-wise. You'll get more of that as they start hitting their stride. Another thing that's fun is how much they grow over time. Brent starts getting into super obscure stuff, Rob starts representing the TG-16, and after a while they both admit that even the old Genesis v. Super Nintendo rivalry doesn't mean much to them anymore because they've discovered such awesome stuff from both systems that their expectations and biases have changed.

It even happened to me! I started this podcast feeling like the Super Nintendo always sounded out-of-tune and cottony. I needed these boizz to open my eyes and bring me out of my shell.

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Key-Glyph wrote:
J T wrote:Legacy Music Hour:
This show is great fun. I've listened to the first 3 episodes now. I am so much more of a Brent than a Rob. By the first episode, when they were competing with each other for a theme song, I could already tell.
:lol: That's amazing. I was so much more a Rob than a Brent when I first started listening -- he had me at the "sad elephant" description -- and Rob and I still have a stronger musical connection of sorts.

That's funny. Yeah, my first blush impression is that Rob cares more about songs that sound cool, and Brent cares more about songs that sound unique or have impressive musicianship and composition. I think both sides are important, and I like Rob F, but I immediately gravitated to Brent. We'll see if my views change upon further listening. I did really like the TurboGrafx16 stuff that Rob brought to the table on the experimental episode.

Key-Glyph wrote:It even happened to me! I started this podcast feeling like the Super Nintendo always sounded out-of-tune and cottony. I needed these boizz to open my eyes and bring me out of my shell.

Hahhaha. I love the SNES sound and always thought that the Genesis sounded too tinny and abrasive. I can certainly find music I like for either system, but I have a bias for the SNES. Full disclosure: I was a SNES kid.