PSA: Small batches of physical copies of digital-only games

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Re: PSA: Small batches of physical copies of digital-only ga

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

touchofkiel wrote:This is a little unrelated, but... Seeing how the Vita is region free, I thought I'd recommend a couple of digital games that saw physical copies exclusive in Japan...

Umihara Kawase +
DariusBurst Chronicle Saviours
Dokuro
Hotline Miami

Also "normal" editions of the Senran Kagura stuff.

Hotline Miami got a physical PS4 release in Japan, too.
Patron Saint of Bitch Mode
wclem
Next-Gen

Post by wclem »

I just learned of this happening. I am calling bullshit on it. Selling a game on a pre-order only basis is one thing but selling like this is stupid. Things like this have killed other hobbies and will kill this one. I am sorry to see how much of this is happening now.

At least with a pre order window anyone who wants in can get in. This kind of selling and collecting is horrible. I have been collecting long enough to see this whole cycle. It is sad, but heck I have a pallet of baseball cards worth nothing if you want em LOL!

Thanks for informing us of this and hopefully they at least make a limited run that fulfills at least the original demand and not a scalpers paradise.

Thankfully Sony and others are releasing physical versions of many of the indie developed games. They are also mostly 20-30 dollar games. I buy everyone I know of when it comes out because I want it to continue. :D
dsheinem wrote:In any case, sorry that my avatar makes you cringe these days, but I haven't really changed my posing habits at all.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

No, it is a scalper's paradise. They sell the games for $25; they're up on eBay for $100 within minutes.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Yeah, I went to buy Saturday Morning RPG for the Vita yesterday and then decided against it. I can't be arsed with the bullshit.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:No, it is a scalper's paradise. They sell the games for $25; they're up on eBay for $100 within minutes.

I usually hate resellers, but in this scenario it might just help that small company into producing more physical copies. There are some Wii games I would love to have a physical copy such as World Of Goo and Fluidity. No not for collecting, but a permanent copy that will always run on ANY Wii console when the download support goes away.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

MrEco
Next-Gen

Post by MrEco »

It might not be a perfect solution, but ultimately this seems like a consumer friendly service to me. 1,000 people getting physical copies of an otherwise digital game while 500 are being re-sold on Ebay is still better than 0 people having those physical copies.
I feel old when talking to anyone my age yet too inexperienced to effectively talk to anyone older. Life is grand that way.

My twitter handle is @EckoExplores
wclem
Next-Gen

Post by wclem »

MrEco wrote:It might not be a perfect solution, but ultimately this seems like a consumer friendly service to me. 1,000 people getting physical copies of an otherwise digital game while 500 are being re-sold on Ebay is still better than 0 people having those physical copies.

Yeah but why not fulfill the entire market demand. Why shut me out when I am standing there with my 25 dollars in hand?
dsheinem wrote:In any case, sorry that my avatar makes you cringe these days, but I haven't really changed my posing habits at all.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

wclem wrote:
MrEco wrote:It might not be a perfect solution, but ultimately this seems like a consumer friendly service to me. 1,000 people getting physical copies of an otherwise digital game while 500 are being re-sold on Ebay is still better than 0 people having those physical copies.

Yeah but why not fulfill the entire market demand. Why shut me out when I am standing there with my 25 dollars in hand?

Indeed. The first batch sold out within, what? 15 minutes? 30 minutes? There's obviously a higher demand than they're catering for.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
touchofkiel
32-bit

Post by touchofkiel »

Who knows, maybe they don't have the infrastructure/production capabilities to do them in such large quantities. But a guess a second print run is totally possible. What do I know?

I've never actually heard of this Saturday Morning RPG. That's weird, I'm usually pretty on top of these things. The only other game I see (sold out) is Breach & Clear, which is just an iOS port.

I like this idea in concept, but yeah... needs more Spelunky.
I review (mostly old) games at: The Annals of Retrodom.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

My guess would be that they're going to do it like fast food chains do certain products - do limited runs that they bring back every now and again. That's what would make the most business sense, anyway. Release small amounts in occasional bursts ensures that it keeps feeling rare even if there's a fairly regular influx of copies. I hope that's what they'll do, at any rate.