How is your PSOne/PS1 gaming going?

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
eggman
24-bit

Re: How is your psone/ps1 gaming going on

Post by eggman »

CFFJR wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:It's hard to articulate why, but I've always been kind of ambivalent towards the PlayStation. It has a massive library of high-quality titles, but most seem to lack that idiosyncratic "hook" that so many Saturn and N64 games have.

You know I've always kinda felt the same way, and I don't really know why.

Objectively the library is outstanding (and I love the games I have) but overall I just don't really care. :?

My collection is also pretty damn small compared to other systems, and I bought mine shortly after the release of the PSOne.

I feel the same way. Here is my reasoning: Playstation has been so successful over the years, that there is literally thousands of titles for each system. This means that instead of seeing a small amount of key titles over and over again in the stores, you are bombarded with walls of stuff. Some filler, some mediocre and some amazing.

I guess I just have this mental image of bargain titles everywhere that hide the gems. If you collect just well known titles and recommended stuff, its amazing how many incredible games each PS generation has. Even though they are great, you can find most of them quite easily, so that may be part of the lack of mystique?
Need Hexyz Force and Class of Heroes 2 for a complete PSP RPG Set.....let me know your price!!!!
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

I kinda love the Playstation. So much charming jank in these early 3D games, from the controls to the polygons to the textures.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

CFFJR wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:It's hard to articulate why, but I've always been kind of ambivalent towards the PlayStation. It has a massive library of high-quality titles, but most seem to lack that idiosyncratic "hook" that so many Saturn and N64 games have.

You know I've always kinda felt the same way, and I don't really know why.

Objectively the library is outstanding (and I love the games I have) but overall I just don't really care. :?

My collection is also pretty damn small compared to other systems, and I bought mine shortly after the release of the PSOne.

I'm the same way, and I know it's not really fair because I've quite enjoyed the few PS1 titles I have picked up. I'm the same way with the PS2. I have about 10 games for each system, compared with 30 or so for both the Saturn and N64 and nearly 50 for Gamecube.

I only own 2 XBox games though, so at least the PS2 is beating that?

For me, there is a bunch of stuff on PS1 that interests me, it just doesn't interest me as much as stuff for a lot of other systems I collect games for so it very rarely actually gets purchased.
mas
Next-Gen

Post by mas »

See I was the same way on the ps1 at one time. But what got me back into the ps1 was castlevania chronicles and sympathy of the night. Since then I traded to get tomba, thunder force 5, einhander, and some other gems. Then going to the thrift store to find a ton of ps1 games for 99 cents really brought me back and a guy from work who loves ps1.
It's really the only system I actually spend money on these days. Like I mentioned to another member, I'm trying not to spend any money on my other systems. Would rather wait for the everdrives to come in than spend 40.00 on snes cart like tmnt if I'm lucky.
The only things I do intend to get is another lcd screen for the psone and its official memory card and psone controllers. Also wouldn't mind to pick up the charger also. I love the way and everything about the psone
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Oh man I love the PS1, but admittedly I only finished one PS1 game this year. Well, I plan to at least finish King's Field III: Pilot Style and King's Field III next year. And maybe just maybe Shadow Tower.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Czernobog
Next-Gen

Post by Czernobog »

I absolutely adore the PS1 and have a modded one to play imports on as well. There's so many games I have fond memories of playing. The RPGs such as the FF games, Wild Arms games, Lunar special editions, etc. The introduction of Silent Hill, the games where Squaresoft was branching out like Einhander, Ergheiz, and Parasite Eve, being THE LORD OF TEKKEN, transforming at just the right moment in a Bloody Roar match, becoming entranced by Resident Evil, playing through the platformers like Gex: Enter the Gecko, Crash, Spryo, etc, going through every CD in my house for Monster Rancher, and the ridiculous Eiffel 65 song.

I still play the thing all the time. Hell, I just picked up Saga Frontier a couple weeks ago and can't wait to delve in.
mas
Next-Gen

Post by mas »

So my retro store just gave me some games that have too many scratches but I own copies so I got now complete copies of doom, big race USA, pong and rally cross 2. Sweet
NathanDunsmore

Post by NathanDunsmore »

Just finished 007: Tomorrow Never Dies. One of main criticisms at the time this game came out was that it wasn't a FPS like Goldeneye. That criticism is irrelevant now because A) This is 1999 and Goldeneye isn't the only Bond game on the market and B) There have been a few 3rd person Bond games (Everything or Nothing) since. So it's easy to view the game on its own terms. That being said, it has a great soundtrack and some nice level designs, but the controls can be stingy at times. It's not uncommon to clip the edge of a wall when turning a corner, for instance. I wouldn't recommend playing it with the analog control as it's virtually unplayable. Otherwise, it's a decent action title that's a little better than the reviews of the time suggest.
mas
Next-Gen

Post by mas »

Went and played 5 min of doom for a test run before I left the house for the day. What a staple of a game for fps. I have watched my son play blacks ops 3 and its so surreal compared to doom. Just night and day. But doom is such a good game. Will be playing that on my day off tomorrow.
MrEco
Next-Gen

Post by MrEco »

I'm trying to focus real hard on getting more PS1 games. Recently I've had this weird feeling, like if I wait too long then it's gonna be impossible to find the rest of the games I want for the system. It's a console that I absolutely adore, even though I've only played a small handful of games for it. In my mind I always associate the PS1 with pre-rendered backgrounds and fixed camera angles. Those are two things that I wish would make a come back big time.
I feel old when talking to anyone my age yet too inexperienced to effectively talk to anyone older. Life is grand that way.

My twitter handle is @EckoExplores