Which Saturn 2D fighter to buy?

Brawlers and Beatemups
ott0bot
Next-Gen

Post by ott0bot »

Get the Japanese versions of Samurai Showdown. They call it Samurai Spirits over there, and I'm pretty sure the Best Collection is both 1 and 2 plus 3 and 4 are available on the Saturn. Just make sure you have a RAM cart. Also, Night Warriors: Darkstalkers Revenge is great.
marurun

Post by marurun »

The Samurai Spirits Best Collection (aka Fencing Pack) is only available on PS1, not Saturn. Alas. The Saturn only has SS3 and SS4.

I also recommend KOF 95 if you can find it (comes with the ROM cartridge). The backgrounds are quite nice, as is the music, and it's just fun. I also second Marvel Superheroes. X-Men COTA is really hard but is also really fun. Night Warriors/Darkstalkers 2 is excellent as well.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Curlypaul
Next-Gen

Post by Curlypaul »

Hmmm King of Fighters ay... I seem to remember the box art, not sure if I've played it though. Is the cart a standard 1/4 mb cart? meaning could I use an AR if I got one at a later date?
I dont want to wreck the cartridge slot by constantly inserting and removing 3rd party cartridges
ott0bot
Next-Gen

Post by ott0bot »

Yeah just use an action replay 4 in 1. I got mine for 20 bucks and it works as an import key, back up-RAM and memory, plus some cheats. It is a bit annoying that you have to click through the menu each time, but overall I'm happy with it.
Curlypaul
Next-Gen

Post by Curlypaul »

Well I just tried out the Hori and its pretty damn good IMO, I just beat Dural on VF2 for the first time ever. I told you I was pants.

Goodbye dragonpunch thumb, hello self esteem
marurun

Post by marurun »

No, KOF 95 uses a ROM cart, similar to the Ultraman game. The 1/4 meg cart won't work for it. I think the ROM cart stores certain game data for fast load, like backgrounds or music or something. Leaves more available memory for sprites and animations.

The KOF game only works with the cart, and the cart only works with the KOF game.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
ott0bot
Next-Gen

Post by ott0bot »

marurun wrote:The Samurai Spirits Best Collection (aka Fencing Pack) is only available on PS1, not Saturn. Alas. The Saturn only has SS3 and SS4.

Not so my friend, I knew I'd seen it somewhere....
marurun

Post by marurun »

OK, but that's still Samurai Shodown III and IV packed together in a case. I was wrong, it exists. I'll admit it. But you still can't get Samurai Shodown I or II on the Saturn. Which is a tragedy, because they'd kick ass.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
vlame
Next-Gen

Post by vlame »

Curlypaul wrote:Well I just tried out the Hori and its pretty damn good IMO, I just beat Dural on VF2 for the first time ever. I told you I was pants.

Goodbye dragonpunch thumb, hello self esteem
which hori?
^^ My Available List ^^
My B/S/T list
I also rent and sell PS2, Wii and XBOX softmod-kits and I collect DVD movies let me know what you have.
Curlypaul
Next-Gen

Post by Curlypaul »

I got the SS that you pictured above. Was there more than one hori for the saturn?