Top 3 Favorite Turn-based Strategy Games

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Re: Top 3 Favorite Turn-based Strategy Games

Post by Gunstar Green »

I don't play a lot of these but my favorite has always been Deadlock and Deadlock 2 (though billed as a sequel it's more like special expanded edition of the first game) for Windows. It's a fun city builder game where you're competing against different alien races who are also building up their cities and armies in a contest to decide who gets to colonize a newly discovered planet.

ImageImage

Each race has different strengths, weaknesses and abilities. Their cultures also effect how your colonists will react to the political decisions you make. The Uva Mosk are a race of environmentalists that get mad when you disrupt the environment, the Tarth are a warrior race who get annoyed about peaceful solutions, the Humans will riot in the streets if you're caught dealing on the black market with an alien race that once blew up part of Earth's moon, and so on. Some races also have more difficult to please morale like the perpetually-sickly Maug. Some make lousy warriors, some make amazing technology researchers and the bug-like Ch'Cht multiply like roaches leading to food shortages and the ever-pressing need to expand your colony.

They developed a pretty cool universe in the nice manuals they came with and there was a good bit of humor throughout the games, especially when carrying on diplomacy with, or trash talking, the other races.

Also as one of my favorite on-CD bonuses ever there was a humorous song that explained all of the races. Best tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j19mg4ci69A

It was kind of like a lighter more digestible Civ game. It's so cool and so completely overlooked. Both are on GOG now so play them dammit.

Unless you have nostalgia for it like me, I recommend the second one since it's basically just the same game as the first with more content.
Last edited by Gunstar Green on Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

Sload Soap wrote:
noiseredux wrote:
Sload Soap wrote:Serious question: what is a good starting title to get into Japanese strategy RPG's?

Shining Force, Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre...

Tactics Ogre scares me. I guess what I mean is, which is the most noob friendly of those games.

Shining Force 1 & 2
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Probably FFT. Actually the portable sequels are probably even friendlier to noobs of the genre.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

Good to know! I've got Shining Force on the Ultimate Collection so I'll start there.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Advance Wars 2
Shining Force
Advance Wars: Dual Strike

I'm probably forgetting about another one I really enjoyed, but those two franchises as been pure joy.

I've been meaning to give FFT a try, but just haven't...
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Sload Soap wrote:Good to know! I've got Shining Force on the Ultimate Collection so I'll start there.

If you find yourself getting bored of the first one quickly then try out the second. I personally find it to be more developed and compelling but I've got zero nostalgia attached to the series.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

Gunstar Green wrote:
Sload Soap wrote:Good to know! I've got Shining Force on the Ultimate Collection so I'll start there.

If you find yourself getting bored of the first one quickly then try out the second. I personally find it to be more developed and compelling but I've got zero nostalgia attached to the series.

The 2nd is better, but I still love both.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Sload Soap wrote:
noiseredux wrote:
Sload Soap wrote:Serious question: what is a good starting title to get into Japanese strategy RPG's?

Shining Force, Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre...

Tactics Ogre scares me. I guess what I mean is, which is the most noob friendly of those games.

The GBA one, Knight of Lodis

For me:
1. Civ 2
2. Advance Wars
3. Tactics Ogre Knight of Lodis
Runner up - Xcom - it would be higher, I am just so bad at it.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Any fan of turn-based strategy games should play Military Madness (TG16) or its remake/sequel Nectaris: Military Madness (PS1).

I played them recently as part of the summer gaming challenge, and I respect both games immensely. They are much, much more difficult than the games in Nintendo's Advance Wars series, and I recommend them to any fan of turn-based strategy games who is looking for a serious challenge.
Snake
8-bit

Post by Snake »

I figured someone would bring up Military Madness. I have it on the Wii VC, but haven't gotten into it. Seems like a pretty steep learning curve just to figure out the controls. I will get to playing it eventually though.