2014 Together Retro Calendar

Join in on our classic gaming club!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro 2014 Nominations & Discussion Thread

Post by noiseredux »

fastbilly1 wrote:I am going to make a power play and say that MULE will be a title next year.

well, let's wait and see what everyone comes up with?

Also, I forgot one more nomination I had in mind:

Fatal Labyrinth (Roguelike)

Because we've not done a roguelike before (unless you count TJ&E, which was before I joined up). I loved this game when I was younger, but haven't played it in years.

Platforms: Genesis, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PC (Steam)
Hatta
Next-Gen

Post by Hatta »

Simply going from what's been suggested so far, I second the following nominations:

Strategy: Cannon Fodder
FPS: Deus Ex
RPG: Ultima IV
Shooter: Ikaruga
Sim: M.U.L.E.
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

holy shit noise is reading my mind. When I saw the thread title I though "okay.... Giana Sisters, Ultima IV, maybe Space Harrier...." Then I see he has listed them already and I think "okay I'll come back later and mention Fatal Labyrinth." :lol: Anyway, I "second" all of those games.

Yes, a roguelike is a good idea. ExedExes's pick, Castle of the Winds, could also be considered a roguelike.

Anyway, some ideas:

The Lost Vikings (Platform/Puzzle)
SNES, Genesis, GBA, PC, Amiga, Amiga CD32
This is an absolutely brilliant game - a Western title with platforming and puzzle elements that was designed for consoles and then ported to computer systems. You play as three vikings, each with different abilities, and switch between them to solve various puzzles and complete some very interesting (and weird) stages. One of the best 4th gen titles ever.

Gauntlet (Action/dungeon crawler)
Arcade, NES, Commodore 64, Apple II, Amstrad CPC, PC, Master System, Atari ST, ZX Spectrum, Genesis, PlayStation, GameCube, PlayStation 2, PSP, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and more...
The big daddy of arcade dungeon crawlers. A classic that I doubt many have actually sat down and tried to complete.

Breath of Fire (JPRG)
SNES, GBA
Capcom's take on the Dragon Quest/Final Fantasy formula. The beginnings of a great series. Not a lot of ports unfortunately - though the GBA version can also be played on a DS of course.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

Ultima VII would be my preference, but I'm cool with IV. And it's free-ness is a bonus.

Beneath a Steel Sky: Free on gog, Amiga, iOS.

Point and clicker from some of the guys behind Broken Sword and Watchmen, this is set in a post-apocalypse Australian mega-city. Played the game a touch and would love to get back into it, especially with a mooted sequel round the corner.

Alien Soldier: Mega Drive, PC (via steam), Virtual Console

I know this is super expensive on the original hardware, but is available via other means nowadays. Nice game by Treasure that takes bits of Gunstar Heroes, reduces the level lengths and adds a ton of bosses. Looks great still, plays smooth.

Grand Theft Auto: Playstation, PC (free from Rockstar's website), GBC

I think it would be cool to revisit the beginnings of what is now a media juggernaut, and to see how the series has evolved (or hasn't).

Robotron 2084: 5200, 7800, Commodore 64, Snes, Mega Drive, Playstation, Saturn,N64, Dreamcast, Gamecube Xbox, Ps2, 360, PS3, PC

A stone cold classic. Best to get it on more recent systems though for the twin stick goodness. Blindingly fast gameplay, great sound and graphic design.

Marvel Vs Capcom 2 :Dreamcast, Xbox, Ps2, PSN ,Xbox360

I suggest this one as an example of a game that is technically broken and shouldn't work, but is still a classic despite that. It's just a lot of fun to play, that's all there is to it.
Last edited by Sload Soap on Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Yes, a roguelike is a good idea. ExedExes's pick, Castle of the Winds, could also be considered a roguelike.

Good. Anything to get it up there. Did I mention it's free? :lol: So much to love about it too. I love how you can totally equip your character -

Every part of your character can be equipped with an item of some sort. Plus, the weapons and armor can be randomly enchanted with tons of extra features and damage probabilities.

I've been seriously waiting for a chance to do this one again. You'll love it.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Post by TEKTORO »

Ducktales: NES, and via Download. Classic platformer, catchy tunes and good graphics.

Puzzle Quest PSP, PS2 and via Download. Fantastic Puzzler in vein of bejeweled and games alike, adding RPG like elements such as story and strategy.

Flashback:Available on everything. I just want a reason to finally play this.

WipeOut: (Sony Systems) Depends on iteration but plenty of options to play. Futuristic hovering nascars with groovey ambient techno tracks.

Gran Turismo 1 or 2: A month dedicated to retro car gear heads, talk about tune ups and meet up for some link play and what not.

Goblin Commander: PS2, GCN, Xbox, (PC?). Very under the radar Real Time Strategy game where you control goblins to do your dirty work. The story is funny , learning curve is not too steep and the game keeps you wanting more while providing lots of levels and challenge. Controls and pacing are superb, which imo helps the action and flow.

Timesplitters Future Perfect PS2, GCN, Xbox (PC?). Honestly one of the all time best FPS ever made, this game has it all and is a cult classic.

Xlll: PS2, GCN, Xbox. Another obscure over looked FPS, I believe the story is a mock up (inspired by) loosely based off the JFK assassination all done in a cell shaded style. Or something like that. lol

Wild Arms: PS1/PSN. True traditional RPG by Sony for the flagship PS1, great choice for a quick month's appetite. The games on the shorter side, but both beginner and expert RPG players will have so much fun playing this charming adventure it never gets old.

Off shoot ideas:Smugglers Run, Ninja Gaiden, Panzer dragoon, LOTR: Two Towers, Morrowind, Killer 7.
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Rainbow Six (Strategy)

With the recent passing of Tom Clancy, I thought that the original Rainbow Six might be a good nomination. I enjoyed it a lot back when, but haven't played it in years.

...when I get a chance I'll try to compile all the current nominations grouped by genre, to get a clearer picture of what we're considering (unless someone beats me to it!).
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Image
This is an absolutely brilliant game - a Western title with platforming and puzzle elements that was designed for consoles and then ported to computer systems. You play as three vikings, each with different abilities, and switch between them to solve various puzzles and complete some very interesting (and weird) stages. One of the best 4th gen titles ever.

I like this.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

AppleQueso wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:Image

I like this.

I dunno exactly what it is, but it feels like one of those games that was just made for Together Retro.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Some ideas:

Oddworld: Abes Odyssey
Genre: Puzzle/Adventure
Classic puzzle adventure with some awesomely dark atmosphere. Could also coincide with the release of the remake, New n Tasty.
Platforms: PS1, PSP & PS3, possibly Vita? (via PSN), PC

Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom & Shadow over Mystara/Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara
Genre: Beat 'em up
Classic arcade beat em ups. Just rerelased as a digital compilation on HD platforms.
Platforms: Arcade/MAME(?), Wii U eShop, PSN, XBLA

Ape Escape
Genre: 3D Platformer
Fun looking 3D platformer series thats become a bit of a standby on Sony platforms. one I've always meant to play.
Ports: PS1, PSP & PS3, possibly Vita?(Via PSN)

Grandia
Genre: RPG
Classic, well regarded JRPG. I've been looking for an excuse to pick it up.
Ports: PS1, PSP & PS3, possibly Vita? (via PSN)

Ghouls n Ghosts
Genre: Platformer
October idea - a fun horror themed game that isn't actually of the horror genre. Perhaps it could be paired with another more serious horror offering for our usual double feature?
Ports: Arcade, Amiga, Amstrad CPC, Atari ST, CP System, Commodore 64, Sharp X68000, Sega Saturn, PlayStation, PlayStation 2, SuperGrafx, Sega Master System, Mega Drive/Genesis, Virtual Console, ZX Spectrum

Power Stone
Genre: Fighting
Fun 3D fighter thats a bit different from our normal fighting game faire.
Ports: Dreamcast, PSP

Shock Troopers
Genre: Run n' Gun
Amazing run n gun game that I feel is DRASTICALLY overlooked. Like Metal Slug mixed with Ikari Warriors, but 10x more awesome.
Ports: Neo Geo, PS2, PSP & Wii (SNK Arcade Classics), Wii VC, PSP & PS3 (via PSN)

Loom
Genre: Adventure
Classic DOS LucasArts game that is often forgotten. Something to grieve with over the passing of LucasArts perhaps?
Ports: DOS, Mac OS, Steam + SCUMMVM compatible