Together Retro: ZAMN / Silent Hill 2

Join in on our classic gaming club!
Ziggy

Re: Together Retro: ZAMN / Silent Hill 2

Post by Ziggy »

For any ZAMN fans out there that have played the game to death...

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/623/

And the lesser known sequel...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghoul_Patrol
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

jay_red wrote:What version is considered the "best" for Silent Hill 2? I can play it on basically anything that it was released for. Like is the HD version way better than the ps2/xbox ones?

PC verison is the best, especially if you're willing to put in the effort to get some of the visual hacks put in. HD version had a lot of issues at release. Some of those issues were fixed a bit with a patch, but it's still not as good as the PC release.
harper
Next-Gen

Post by harper »

TEKTORO wrote:I have played a couple of hours of Downpour here and there over the last couple of weeks and I love it, so far its been as much of a mind fuck as SH4 (both which are overlooked for SH games imo). :)

Downpour just didn't do anything for me, though admittedly I only played it for 30 minutes to an hour before I shut it off and never looked back. haha Homecoming, on the other hand, was pretty damn good.

I wish I had the time to play SH2 again for Together Retro but the way things are looking I probably won't. :(
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Post by TEKTORO »

harper wrote:
TEKTORO wrote:I have played a couple of hours of Downpour here and there over the last couple of weeks and I love it, so far its been as much of a mind fuck as SH4 (both which are overlooked for SH games imo). :)

Downpour just didn't do anything for me, though admittedly I only played it for 30 minutes to an hour before I shut it off and never looked back. haha Homecoming, on the other hand, was pretty damn good.

I wish I had the time to play SH2 again for Together Retro but the way things are looking I probably won't. :(

Ha cool, I only put about the same amount of time in myself with Downpour. There were some things that had me scratching my head and pushing my patience in a twisted way as far as some of the play logic and design decisions went. I thought the basics were covered graphically and control wise, and the story is some what clear so far, also liked the clique and apparent slasher scene they made you perform early on in the game.

Homecoming was awesome imo as well, played and beaten that way back in my earlier days on 360 (when I used to play games thru. lol). I remember getting a shitty save with no health at all and had to face the Scarlet boss and after 30 attempts at least, I did not realize I had a heath potion in my inventory damn near the whole game till now. :twisted: So I used the health and finished the game, now I own it on PS3 and will play it again some day.

Now on to TR SH2, I resumed an old save and thankfully I wasn't to far in at all pretty much the first building with the trash compactor puzzle. Playing HD collection on PS3 and I feel the games hit detection is horrible in this version (not that it was ever great) but still when your enemy is on the floor and your character can not follow a simple downward strike command for the final blow it becomes a point of anxiety.. Had to take a breather, damn you Silent Hill.

Thank to a double feature you get to hear me ramble on for alittle more. I went looking for my 2nd snes controller so the wife can play ZAMN too and after looking everywhere realized I had sold it. So now I'm needing a 2nd snes controller Pm me if you has them. :)
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
jay_red
Next-Gen

Post by jay_red »

Ok, so I put in about an hour into SH2, after getting frustrated in getting a controller to work with the PC version, I finally got everything how I like it, I was so relieved when I found out you could disable the tank controls!

The atmosphere is very good, the fog everywhere adds a nice touch of not knowing what is coming up. Voice acting is about on par with Resident Evil's level of cheese, though not too bad, my Wife was hoping to hear "I hope this is not...Chris's blood..." By far the biggest problem I am having with the game is the combat, I can deal with the slow swinging of the wooden plank, but once the enemy is on the ground, its impossible to hit them, they crawl away before you even get the swing, and half the time you are not swinging the right way to hit them. I found you can stomp them when on the ground, but that just leads to chasing them around mashing X in hopes of it working.

Thats another thing that is killing it for me, chasing the enemies around, normally you would not be looking for a fight in a horror game, but I have chased down so many of those guys already, and it takes for ever to kill. There have been a couple of moments that made me jump, the weird things with the mannequin arms got me a couple of times. I am currently trying to figure out the clock puzzle in the apartment building, and felt the need for a break.
My trade thread, updated 7/14
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30531&p=421248#p421248
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

AppleQueso wrote:
jay_red wrote:What version is considered the "best" for Silent Hill 2? I can play it on basically anything that it was released for. Like is the HD version way better than the ps2/xbox ones?

PC verison is the best, especially if you're willing to put in the effort to get some of the visual hacks put in. HD version had a lot of issues at release. Some of those issues were fixed a bit with a patch, but it's still not as good as the PC release.

I'm really surprised that SH2 has not made it to Steam. Although I've heard that the PC version doesn't play too nicely with Win7/8, so maybe that's the issue?
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Post by TEKTORO »

Jay_Red I'm up to the same part as you, the clock puzzle has something to do with the trash stuck in the trash compactor shute. It's not that hard of a puzzle, but if you played straight to that point it could be fatiguing.

I agree on trying to kill the enemies crawling quickly on the ground, and they can kill you easily sometimes too, wish the ground attack wasn't broken. I had SH2 Restless dreams on Xbox and don't remember the fighting to blow as bad as the Hd updates but I could be wrong its been awhile since I played that version.
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

last time I attempted to play SH2, the fighting dudes on the ground thing was exactly what kind of pulled me away from the game. The atmosphere is great, but I agree, the combat feels unnecessary. I'd prefer just trying to evade enemies in a game like this.
Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

You don't really need to fight anything in 2. It's a waste of time unless you need to clear a room.
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Post by TEKTORO »

Opa Opa wrote:You don't really need to fight anything in 2. It's a waste of time unless you need to clear a room.

It's so funny by doing that how that would change the gameplay for the better, but I feel like I have to beat the crap out of them for scaring me and stuff. :lol: