What should we add to the TurboGrafx 16 101 Guide?

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
yeagert

Re: What should we add to the TurboGrafx 16 101 Guide?

Post by yeagert »

It would be interesting to include a section on popular hardware mods. Since the turbo boosters are so rare and expensive, it has become pretty popular to make a removable RCA mod attached with connectors to pins on the rear extension port.

I believe I saw somewhere that someone managed to squeeze in a turbotap into the console shell itself so it became a 4 player console.

I know a lot of people are into this so it might be good to include at least some links to tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8A7XbuNMhs
http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/pce/region.htm
http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=2788.0
BurningDoom
Next-Gen

Post by BurningDoom »

Unfortunately, I'm finding that the majority of things TurboGrafx (that isn't sports or Victory Run), is starting to become pricey to collect for. The appeal of the TG-16 originally, for me, was that it was relatively unknown and cheap to collect for a few years back.
Game Trade/Want List:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28206

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Super GB, N64, Gamecube, GB Player, Wii, Sega Power Base Converter, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, TurboGrafx-16, PlayStation, PS2 Slim, XBox, XBox 360, Game Boy, GBC, GBA-SP, DS, Game Gear, GG Master Converter
marurun

Post by marurun »

The TG-16 has never been a cheap platform to collect for. It may not be Neo Geo, but it is no bargain.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
BurningDoom
Next-Gen

Post by BurningDoom »

marurun wrote:The TG-16 has never been a cheap platform to collect for. It may not be Neo Geo, but it is no bargain.

A few years back it was. I was able to find plenty of shoot-em ups, Neutopia, Bonk games, and a few others for under $20, easily. Now most of the good ones are around $30 or more depending on condition.

As for the TG-CD, I don't know. I never owned one. I'm just talking HuCard games here.
Game Trade/Want List:

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Super GB, N64, Gamecube, GB Player, Wii, Sega Power Base Converter, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, TurboGrafx-16, PlayStation, PS2 Slim, XBox, XBox 360, Game Boy, GBC, GBA-SP, DS, Game Gear, GG Master Converter
marurun

Post by marurun »

I hate to say it, but the only even remotely affordable way to collect HuCard games is to have a JPN system and buy JPN games. That's what I have. I also have a simple flash card (only $50!) for those few titles that just need to be played in English.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
BurningDoom
Next-Gen

Post by BurningDoom »

Well I've never paid over $20 for a single game in my TG-16 collection, so I'm not sure where you were shopping a few years ago. Splatterhouse being the exception, since my wife got that for me for a gift. And I got like every single one on eBay.

Here's what I have/had:

-Alien Crush
-Blazing Lazers
-Bloody Wolf
-Bonk's Adventure
-Keith Courage in Alpha Zone
-Legendary Axe
-Ninja Spirit
-Sidearms
-Splatterhouse (like I said, this one was over $20, a bit over, my wife got it for me, though :D )
-Victory Run
Game Trade/Want List:

marurun

Post by marurun »

OK, making some good progress with the text. Work is on-going, but I'm working on making sure that certain sections are concise, and that when there is lots of text, it's not redundant or unnecessary information.

If anyone has any particular information they want to see added or any distinct criticisms of the old article, please share them so I can take them into consideration with the rewrite. If you have any commentary on the pictures, don't share them with me : ) My camera sucks and I will not be providing any hardware pictures for the article.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

marurun wrote:If you have any commentary on the pictures, don't share them with me : ) My camera sucks and I will not be providing any hardware pictures for the article.

I have a pretty nice camera and a various hardware and CIB games and can take pics if needed for the article. Just give me some direction and I'll snap 'em.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Stark, that sounds great (yeah, I'm slow lately). A sore back and finals week at the university have put me in a temporary holding pattern, but I still have this article taken apart and it's gonna get put back together.

I'm definitely including a section on the growing homebrew scene. There isn't much hacking or translating going on compared to, say, the NES, but there is some (including a couple dub jobs) and it will get a mention alongside the homebrew stuff.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

My friend has a copy of Mysterious Song.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.