Games not meant to be scary, thet end up being pretty creepy

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
J T
Next-Gen

Re: Games not meant to be scary, thet end up being pretty creepy

Post by J T »

I just started playing Ecco for the first time. I haven't experienced much creepy stuff yet, but damn that game requires some patience!
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

J T wrote:I just started playing Ecco for the first time. I haven't experienced much creepy stuff yet, but damn that game requires some patience!

Good luck. That game's a trip.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

J T wrote:I just started playing Ecco for the first time. I haven't experienced much creepy stuff yet, but damn that game requires some patience!

Yeah, it starts to get REALLY weird later on. You'll see.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
god
64-bit

Post by god »

Hmm, never played Ecco, though I do have a copy, I'm gonna give it a shot when I have some time if its as bizarre as you all claim...
Big Zenny Hustler
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Yeah we don't kid, it's one of the weirdest games I've played.

I actually played and beat the Sega CD version, which is a good bit easier than the Genesis version because the key glyph's count as checkpoints, which they do not in the Genesis version. Trust me, that helped a lot in some later stages. So yeah, someday I'll have to be hardcore and beat the Genesis version, but THAT level at the end... omfg.

I love the music in both Genesis / Sega CD versions of the games though. Funny enough I'd say I prefer the Sega CD version of 1, but Genesis version of 2.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Ecco's atmosphere really drove me to complete the game, it gets so creepy towards the end. The music is awesome. The game really is crazy hard though, I reckon it's the hardest game I've ever beaten. Punch Out and Ninja Gaiden have nothing on Ecco :lol:
abeaver
16-bit

Post by abeaver »

This screen would scare the ever-loving shit out of me when I was about four or five. I'm not even trying to be funny about the quality of the game, it was high-octane nightmare rocket fuel for four-year-old me. Zombies Ate My Neighbors also scared me when I was little, and it didn't help that my older brother would force me to play coop with him when he rented it.

Oh, and the "It is now safe to turn off your computer" screen from windows 95 also scared the hell out of me. I don't know why.
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Post by BoringSupreez »

abeaver wrote:Image

This screen would scare the ever-loving shit out of me when I was about four or five. I'm not even trying to be funny about the quality of the game, it was high-octane nightmare rocket fuel for four-year-old me. Zombies Ate My Neighbors also scared me when I was little, and it didn't help that my older brother would force me to play coop with him when he rented it.

Oh, and the "It is now safe to turn off your computer" screen from windows 95 also scared the hell out of me. I don't know why.

Be glad Courage the Cowardly Dog wasn't running when you were a kid if that stuff scared you.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
KingDavid73
16-bit

Post by KingDavid73 »

KingDavid73 wrote:I was actually thinking about this a while back. I was going to make a video of like 'Top 10 unintentionally scary video game moments' or something.

My #1 would have to be the yeti in Ski-Free. That thing always scared the crap out of me.

Also the Game Gear / Master System Sonic 2 and Sonic Chaos. They just had a creepy vibe.

ooh! and Magic Carpet (PC / Saturn)

oh yeah, and being underwater in Sonic games... so stressful.
"If less is more, just think how much more MORE would be!"

Gaming systems - Sears Super Pong, Coleco Telstar, Radofin Telesports Mini, 2600, Intellivision, Colecovision, Commodore 64, Mattel Aquarius, 7800, NES, SMS, TG16, Genesis, Game Gear, Sega CD, Sega 32X, SNES, Neo Geo CD, Saturn, PSX, N64, Dreamcast, Gameboy Advance, PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, PSP, Xbox 360, Gaming PC
abeaver
16-bit

Post by abeaver »

BoringSupreez wrote:Be glad Courage the Cowardly Dog wasn't running when you were a kid if that stuff scared you.

RETURN THE SLAB.