Playstation 2
26%
Other
22%

Total votes: 23

extrarice
64-bit

Post by extrarice »

SNES. I don't have the time for the mega-epic 100+ hour levelgrinds of PS2 RPGs.
Ender
8-bit

Post by Ender »

With only ONE system to be picked up (let's just imagine PS2 can't play PS1 games) I do pick PS1 since I think quality is higher overall.

My favs are FF VIII & FF Tactics

Shame for FFX and DQVIII which are superb games :P
Owner of: White Saturn, Black Saturn, Regulation 7 Dreamcast, White Dremcast, Purple GameCube, Resident Evil 4 GameCube, Super Nintendo, Wii, Nintendo 64, Nintendo DS, Nintendo DS Lite, PlayStation, PlayStation 2, PSP, Black XBOX, Crystal XBOX, XBOX 360, GameBoy.

Looking Forward: NEO GEO AES, NEO GEO CD, Neo Geo Pocket Color, Megadrive, GameGear.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Wow, am I really the only person to give a proper nod to the Saturn for its RPG heritage? Oh woe is me!
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ivo
Next-Gen

I guess I'm sort of cheating

Post by Ivo »

I voted other as I would choose PC (despite Racket's post saying "console"). I just prefer "Western" RPGs more than "Eastern" ones (I enjoy both, but my preferences easily go with Bethesda and company over Square/Enix and company).
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

marurun wrote:Wow, am I really the only person to give a proper nod to the Saturn for its RPG heritage? Oh woe is me!

The Saturn has a few great titles, but doesn't have as many as the machines listed above...
The RPG genre was kinda the Saturn's weakness.
Some might say that it really hurt its battle with the Playstation...
marurun

Post by marurun »

Sure had a large number of RPGs in Japan. It's only the US that suffered. And at least the ones that were brought over were, by and large, pretty good.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

marurun wrote:Sure had a large number of RPGs in Japan. It's only the US that suffered. And at least the ones that were brought over were, by and large, pretty good.

Like which ones? Maybe I'm not aware of some.
Unfortunately, RPGs are some of the most difficult imports to play because of the emphasis on text.

But back to your original point, I suppose the Saturn plays up the quality over quantity issue.
kinn
64-bit

Post by kinn »

marurun wrote:Wow, am I really the only person to give a proper nod to the Saturn for its RPG heritage? Oh woe is me!

I was going to say the Saturn since it did have one of my all time fave RPGs: Panzer Dragoon Saga. It also had Dark Saviour and Shining Force 3 which I loved. But I chose the PS1 mainly due to it having more RPGs available.
360 Gamer Tag = Kinn, PS3 Tag = xKINNx, Wii = 3036 8283 1247 3110
Overdosed on Gaming
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

PS1 I suppose. PC should be included though. It's a system.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Mozgus wrote:PS1 I suppose. PC should be included though. It's a system.

Well, the PC has an unfair advantage as it has like two decades worth of software behind it...