Comparison between the iOS and Android apps

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: Comparison between the iOS and Android apps

Post by CRTGAMER »

RCBH928 wrote:I was going to buy an iphone but now seriously considering an Android, but I want any one who used both to compare to me the apps on both devices I am most concerned about the App store on Android, how large is the selection and how good is the quality?

Apple goes out of their way to maintain quality Apps, while Android is free for all, as I understand am not really an expert on the subject, I'd love to hear from an experienced user of the Android platform

Apple has a history of a locked architecture. Does Apple today prevent independent applications not approved thru Apple? :?:

The Android more of an open system and does allow independent APK files not in the Google Play Store. I have discovered unique apps and games not officially sanctioned. There are tons and tons of games out there, fortunately most have an option of running off the Micro SD Card. I replaced the measly 1gb card with a Micro SD 128gb for my Galaxy Express 3 for only twenty bucks on Ebay. Yes there are deals out there! Instead of Bluetooth, a quick copy paste all folders using the laptop SD Slot in and then to the new memory card. My photos backed up locally in my Laptop and Desktop.

:idea: Prevent ads - Leave Data and Wifi turned off when playing a game.

Bookmark appears to update list - https://www.stuff.tv/features/best-free-android-games

Tons of Games and Apps Direct Download - https://apkpure.com/
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:37 pm, edited 5 times in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

marurun

Post by marurun »

Apple does indeed have a much more controlled ecosystem. That said, there's also far fewer examples of malware. Even stuff in the legit Google app store regularly collects personal data and keyboard inputs.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Is there a reason CRT bumped this 6 year old thread to reply to a poster who probably made their decision over half a decade ago?
marurun

Post by marurun »

Why ask why? Try Bud Dry!
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

alienjesus wrote:Is there a reason CRT bumped this 6 year old thread to reply to a poster who probably made their decision over half a decade ago?

I have been downloading additional games since plugging in the much larger memory card this morning. Had been holding off until I could find a 128gb on the cheap. Discovered the newest Rayman Adventures (huge file download warning to use Wifi) which plays similar to Wii version along with a neat obscure "Asteroids Racer" game called Data Wing which has physics of the older top down space games. Rather then create a new thread, feel the question still valid today especially in light of the OP date; Android back then a newer phone with smaller market share at the time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_version_history

With the Windows 10 Phone having just a small percentage of the market, there is the iPhone and the Android Phone Operating System to choose from, perhaps RCBH928 could rename the OP to include Win 10 phones? Each has its advantages and disadvantages, great to read on unique features or software of each. Even if a given software exclusive for one OS, discussion brings a curiosity if a similar Utility App or game on the other OS. I posted the Android Gameboy Adapter in a separate thread as one option, but this a better thread to discuss both phone systems.

:arrow: The Smart Phone is the largest market for portable gaming, so many games to discover! :mrgreen:
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

I settled on the iphone and not looking back, I know the android is more capable but it comes with malware, security, and data collection that you don't know where it happens. Last I heard Google was collecting location info on all android users. Not to mention each manufacturer adds their own software suite of bloatware
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Post by SamuraiMegas »

RCBH928 wrote:I settled on the iphone and not looking back, I know the android is more capable but it comes with malware, security, and data collection that you don't know where it happens. Last I heard Google was collecting location info on all android users. Not to mention each manufacturer adds their own software suite of bloatware

Apple does the same, and it isn't hard to remove bloatware. If you know tech at all, android is a much stronger platform
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
marurun

Post by marurun »

More flexible, but not necessarily stronger. I have an Apple phone and a Google Nexus tablet. I get along a LOT better with the Apple phone, to be quite honest.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

marurun wrote:More flexible, but not necessarily stronger. I have an Apple phone and a Google Nexus tablet. I get along a LOT better with the Apple phone, to be quite honest.

Normally I'd agree on that, but since IOS11 got forced on my 5S it's anything but. I wish they had cut it off with iphone6 as the bugs, lag, and crashes are insufferable.
marurun

Post by marurun »

You can always refuse an iOS update. And yeah, 11 is not a good fit for sub-6. But Apple tries to make them available even for some lower models, because someone will ostensibly complain. And Apple wins, too, because if someone installs it on hardware that is a little lacking, they're more likely to upgrade to a new device. That said, Apple is very good (or bad, depending on your view) at cutting off older hardware that is absolutely unsuited.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile