What are the Worst PS2 RPG's?!?

Level up here
Leaf
8-bit

Post by Leaf »

You can't go wrong with Dragon Quest VIII and Final Fantasy VII.

But promise me you'll stay away from Final Fantasy VIII, unless you're a fan of brainless battles, dull characters and crap music.
Currently playing: Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker (DS), Shenmue (Dreamcast), Dragon Warrior VII (PS1).
Bimmy

Post by Bimmy »

Better play Grandia 2 on DC, the ps2 version is indeed a bit unpleasant to play.
The textures in the game really twitch a lot, as if you are looking at some really low refreshrate image.

Needless to say that it's quite annoying..

Great game though, definitely worth checking out on the dreamcast if you have one ;)
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

Leaf wrote:You can't go wrong with Dragon Quest VIII

I just put 45 minutes into DQ8. It's garbage. The very first bit of freedom I had, I was told to go south to a waterfall. 12 god damn random battle later I'm killed by bunny unicorns. I guess I was supposed to just get into a few fights, run back to town, heal, do this again 4-5 times just so I could survive long enough to make it to the very first dungeon. No, fuck you Japan. Fuck you and your god damn Dragon Quest. This entire series is nothing but a boring grind.
ott0bot
Next-Gen

Re: What are the Worst PS2 RPG's?!?

Post by ott0bot »

I agree with Ender for the most part, but also would add:

Tales of the Abyss (Best PS2 RPG I've played)
Disagea (if you like Tactical RPG'S)
Final Fantasy 7 (it's a little overrated, but it's still a damn good rpg)
Suikoden 3 (takes a little patience, but it's a solid rpg)
Grandia 2 for Dreamcast is good....but i've heard the ps2 version is only ok.

And buy:
Persona 3!!

Don't listen to Mozgus either, Dragon Quest 8 is a pretty good....you just got to have a little patience. which if you read his posts his can be a little lacking!! :D

Also....does anyone still play Phantasy Star Universe? Cause like isn't it pretty much worthless without the whole online community to be the "Universe" part. I could be wrong....
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

ott0bot wrote:Don't listen to Mozgus either, Dragon Quest 8 is a pretty good....you just got to have a little patience. which if you read his posts his can be a little lacking!! :D

No. If a game makes you work for the fun, then it's a bad game. Simple as that. If you think otherwise, then you need to reanalyze why you play these things.
PharmaceuticalCowboy
64-bit

Post by PharmaceuticalCowboy »

Mozgus wrote:
ott0bot wrote:Don't listen to Mozgus either, Dragon Quest 8 is a pretty good....you just got to have a little patience. which if you read his posts his can be a little lacking!! :D

No. If a game makes you work for the fun, then it's a bad game. Simple as that. If you think otherwise, then you need to reanalyze why you play these things.

Whoa, then why do so many people play stuff like EverQuest and WoW?? I realize some parts of these games can be fun, but it's mostly mindless leveling, and people seem to love it.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

PharmaceuticalCowboy wrote:Whoa, then why do so many people play stuff like EverQuest and WoW?? I realize some parts of these games can be fun, but it's mostly mindless leveling, and people seem to love it.

People don't love that shit. Do you have any friends who play an MMO? I have had a few and none of them love it. They've even told me they hate it. One even told me to stay the hell away from it, like it was a plague. All true MMOs are the raw definition of work. And even if your MMO friends don't admit these things, then can you just look at them. Do they ever look like they're having fun? I doubt it. They look like a zombie.

Also, this isn't really anything exclusive to MMOs or even games. People take part in a lot of weird shit in life that they get nothing positive out of, yet they feel compelled to continue. Look at the Fox News viewership.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Mozgus, fun is purely subjective and I know you recognize that. While I appreciate, and often agree with, your point on working for fun, you are kinda over-generalizing. Different strokes for different folks. So no, I don't know that I'd classify DQ8 as a bad game just because it requires some leveling. And I would disagree with your assertion that MMOs, no matter how much I hate them, are definitively bad games.

I've noticed you are quite fond of asserting your opinions as facts and then getting huffy when others disagree.

And ott0bot, just because you disagree with someone's opinion doesn't give you the right to tell people to disregard someone else completely. Once again, opinion is not fact.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

marurun wrote:Mozgus, fun is purely subjective and I know you recognize that. While I appreciate, and often agree with, your point on working for fun, you are kinda over-generalizing. Different strokes for different folks. So no, I don't know that I'd classify DQ8 as a bad game just because it requires some leveling. And I would disagree with your assertion that MMOs, no matter how much I hate them, are definitively bad games.

I've noticed you are quite fond of asserting your opinions as facts and then getting huffy when others disagree.

On the subject of how my friends take to MMOs; that was all fact. I wasn't generalizing. And no one is getting huffy. If you're choosing to read my posts with a bad tone, then it's your opinion that they are huffy. Not fact.
diehllane
32-bit

Post by diehllane »

I recommend keeping the Suikoden games. DQ 8 should stay. Once you get into the game a bit, you don't deal with as much mindless leveling.