Most overlooked PC game of the year: ThreadSpace Hyperbol

Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
marurun

Post by marurun »

I'll give you credit for trying, how's that? I'm currently vying for a GA job that, while it will cause me not to have more student loans, pays $40 less a week. And if I don't have time for many new games, have a billion already that I haven't yet played, and little interest, even $20 becomes too much for me to pay, meaning being poor and only being able to buy 1 $20 game every month or 2. I gotta eat and pay the bills and my wife sure can't carry us both.

To be honest, however cool it looks I'm not sure I'd try it for free. I always suck at those kinds of games and die a lot. I think this game is more the kind of game I'd like to watch other people play rather than play myself.

And sorry, I was only trying to be a little ass, not a big ass.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

What "kind" of game do you think this is? Because I sure as hell can't think of a kind. I think it's too original to be placed in a group right now. But damn. If you're too cheap for free, and too hard pressed for time to demo a game, what the hell are you doing on the internet, much less a gaming forum? Prioritize, man. If you don't have time to try it, then don't take the time to tell me about your lack of time.

Marurun, meet Mr Fugate

Fuck me for trying to spread a little fun.

Oh and Ivo, what's your Steam name? This game's really not so bad even when it's just 1 on 1 so maybe we should give it a shot.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Oh, I'm not saying you shouldn't be trying to share the love with others. I was just chiming into the discussion. Just because I have a dissenting opinion doesn't mean anybody else should feel obligated to agree with me or see my dissent as disapproval. Rather, Mozgus, I respect your opinions quite a bit as you're a regular poster here and generally well-thought. Likewise, I'd ask you to respect mine.

And really, if I played every free game out there I'd really never have any time for anything, including posting on here. Frankly, this game looks kinda like a Maelstrom/Deathmatch hybrid. There are a couple older, 2D games that seem to do largely the same thing and are also high quality and a lot of fun for people who like that sorta thing. I've just pretty much sworn off playing on-line because I'm tired of being the guy who dies a lot and can't hit the broad side of a barn.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
metaleggman
128-bit

Post by metaleggman »

Well, I just ordered a brank spankin new hi tech wiz bang computer. It'll be my new nerd box, so I was planning to try it out when I get everything pieced together. :)
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

Not a bad review:

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs. ... yperbol-pc

He makes it sound as if the game's only weapons are the curvable missiles, and thats just not true at all. The game has a wide selection of weapons and utilities, most of which have super versions. I think this guy barely played the game at all.

He also said he found plenty of people to play against. Either he's wrong, or my client is busted and is not showing the active servers, because I've never seen more than 2 active servers, and neither is within good ping.
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

Mozgus wrote:Oh and Ivo, what's your Steam name? This game's really not so bad even when it's just 1 on 1 so maybe we should give it a shot.

Don't have a Steam account atm, but I suppose I can get a free one. I'll pm you the login when I do it.
Trying to finish High Seize last mission today.

Ivo.
wyatt
32-bit

Post by wyatt »

I got a Steam account and downloaded that program, had to download some Microsoft program as well not sure what it was about, downloaded the game from Steam, tried playing the game after an hour of Dls and installations and got hung up on just getting it started. Wound up deleteing everything, it looks cool but I kinda hate computers when they do anything but grant me instant gratification :(
Let my legs shake me to sleep, and don't wake me when I sweat on my sheets.
durkada
64-bit

Post by durkada »

Well, I tried. I downloaded the Steam framework for my Winders box and got errors during the installation. This is one of the reasons (although not the primary) I don't like playing games on a pooter -- sometimes there is a battle just to get the game to run. Tried a few things before tossing it.

Game looks fun, however.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

Damn, I don't know what to say then. My installation was flawless and super fast. It's a very small, slim game.
Ivo
Next-Gen

You may not believe this but

Post by Ivo »

I actually can't spare 1 GB free space for the Steam thing right now (I'm going to swap some stuff out to my external drive though). My (4 year old) laptop drive is 30 GB only, and I have it stuffed to the brim all the time.

Bottom line, I really need to get a new desktop.

Ivo.