Moon Diver (aka Necromachina)

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
chupon
Next-Gen

Re: Moon Diver (aka Necromachina)

Post by chupon »

Tried it and it's a definite no go for me. In fact i'm suprised you all liked it. Plus at $12 or $13 bucks think about what else you could be playing instead.

If only squaresoft and enix never joined. Sigh.
Buy / Sell / Trade List: viewtopic.php?t=17958
Last updated: 11-10-16

PS3 ID: dakkenblackblade 360 ID: dakkenblackblad
wip3outguy7
Next-Gen

Post by wip3outguy7 »

I thought about it and I'm going to wait until it goes on sale. I think my OK is $8.
lwcook
128-bit

Post by lwcook »

wip3outguy7 wrote:I thought about it and I'm going to wait until it goes on sale. I think my OK is $8.

I'll wait until it's at least $10 I think. From the demo, it's not deep gameplay by any means, but sometimes you need a game to boot up that is very straightforward like that.
brunoafh
Next-Gen

Post by brunoafh »

So the reviews for this are pretty much unanimously bad, some terrible. Reviews generally don't mean jack to me, but I'm just wondering, has anyone given this a shot yet?
wip3outguy7
Next-Gen

Post by wip3outguy7 »

Well, the game is basically Strider with Diablo style power leveling and 4 player coop. That's it, that's the game. There is no other incentive to play. So yeah, I would expect bad reviews. "Professional" video game reviewers are so out of touch with video games these days that I stopped trusting them a long time ago. When they aren't too busy exposing themselves as people who obviously had never picked up a game controller until maybe a year before they held a position at online zine X, they are writing glowing reviews for big budget games which they've obviously been paid off by big publishers to write.

My advice is to download the demo. Do you like what you see? Hit up gamefaqs. Are there any hints of the game getting any better than the demo? If not, are you ok with that? If so, bonus.

Personally, I thought the demo was great. I've played through it about 10 times. My issue is with the price. I have read from several sources that the game gets even better in later levels and that the coop play is pretty incredible. I just can't justify paying $15 for a digital download only title when I have a perfectly good version of Strider for the Genesis and a huge backlog of other games to play. If the game goes on sale for around half price, I'm off to Wally World to pick up a PSN card.

Sorry... that was kind of a rant.
wip3outguy7
Next-Gen

Post by wip3outguy7 »

I revisited this demo over the weekend on PS3. Something clicked and I played it for hours yesterday - just the first level over and over again. I think I'm going to take the plunge and buy it.
Jonesy47
16-bit

Post by Jonesy47 »

This was actually made by the same guy who made strider, Kouichi "Isuke" Yotsui.

He made three games that were pretty much just like Strider.

Strider (arcade)

Cannon Dancer/Osman (arcade)

Moon Diver

The strider 2 on psx actually had nothing to do with him which i find strange since Moon Diver definitely seems more like Strider 2 than either of Yotsui's previous titles, at least in pace.

Strider 2 and Moon Diver both have a sense of speed that really make you feel like a bad-ass ninja.
Systems: ATARI 2600 - NES - FAMICOM - SNES - N64 - GC - WII - GENESIS - SEGACD - SATURN - DREAMCAST - PSX - PS2 - PS3 - XBOX - XBOX 360 - GB - GBC - GBA - DS - PSP - NEOGEOPOCKET
wip3outguy7
Next-Gen

Post by wip3outguy7 »

That's interesting. I had known about Cannon Dancer, but I never knew that he had nothing to do with Strider 2.
Weekend_Warrior
Next-Gen

Post by Weekend_Warrior »

Played the 360 demo that's on the latest Official Xbox Magazine demo (along with Red Faction: Armageddon) and thought it was quite fun. It does remind me a lot of older action 2d platformer games like Strider & Shinobi. And yes, that's a very god thing

After playing the demo, I dunno what critics could see so wrong with the game... unless they failed to receive a check in the mail from the publisher and decided to retaliate by nitpicking the hell out of it?
"Welcome to the circus of values!"

Currently Playing: Crysis (360), Destiny demo (PS3), Roadblasters (MAME)
wip3outguy7
Next-Gen

Post by wip3outguy7 »

This is a really good review. While I have not played the complete game, I agree with about 99% of what he has to say.