Pinholes vs Disc Rot

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Re: Pinholes in discs

Post by BoringSupreez »

The solution to this sort of problem is to pay exhorbitant rates for new copies of DC games, rather than buy used.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
JC48573
128-bit

Post by JC48573 »

^^ I was told that this happens with sealed games as well.
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Post by BoringSupreez »

JC48573 wrote:^^ I was told that this happens with sealed games as well.

Hey, that stinks.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
JC48573
128-bit

Post by JC48573 »

it rarely happens with dvds though.
Ack

Post by Ack »

JC48573 wrote:this is kinda crazy though, I've been buying quite a few of dreamcast games lately, so do you expect me to inform every seller about this? Do they get worse? My bro played Fighting Vipers 2 to death and he hasn't encountered any problems and it also had one little pinhole.

I'm sorry to say this, but I believe that disc rot does get worse over time. We did have a thread on it that offered speculation on why even sealed Dreamcast games have this happen, but I'm afraid I don't know the reason. All I can suggest is to inform possible sellers about the issue, keep a close eye on your collection, and properly maintain it, though it's highly likely this occurred through no fault of your own.

That sucks man.
JC48573
128-bit

Re: Pinholes vs Disc Rot

Post by JC48573 »

Some pinholes are actually imperfections from the manufacturer. The only way for pinholes to happen after a period of time is through mishandling of the disc like a ding or deep scratch on the label side of the disc. Pinholes just don't simply multiply out of nowhere or at random places, unless you are purposely making holes with it so that the foil comes in contact with the air. Disc Rot usually starts from any area or damaged area that comes in contact with the air. If it was a disc rot, you will see discoloration of the disc most of the time and even around the pinholes. Most pinholes cannot be seen by the naked eye, which means they are still fine to play as long as the actual data doesn't happen to hit that spot. Even if it did, you might get like an out of synch situation or a glitch or maybe a freeze. Oh, yea, poor lacquer/glue between layers are the main causes of disc rot.