41%
Sega Dreamcast
38%

Total votes: 37

risk
16-bit

Post by risk »

DCAllAmerican wrote:
Saturn - introduced me to the Fire Pro Wrestling series which is easily the best series of wrestling games ever born

thats all i need to hear <3
msimplay
64-bit

Post by msimplay »

The Sega Saturn was my favourite Sega console for a number of reasons.
I used to own a Super Nes and didn't really pay much attention to the Megadrive games other than the big titles like Streets of Rage and Sonic so I wasn't really a Sega fan until the Saturn came out.
However I bought the Sega system through the fact that Sega was the known brand for me and I knew nothing about the Sony Playstation.
I was still in old school Arcade gameplay mode at the time and the Sega machine had for me the best arcade conversions at least for the kind of games I wanted to play. Also I couldn't buy the next Nintendo console since at the time the Nintendo 64 had been delayed yet again.
However by the time the Nintendo console came out it was quite late and sure it had great games but for me it was a little ahead of its time and didn't provide the Arcade gameplay that I was used to plus it didn't have the Arcade conversions I wanted.
I was suprised at how good the Sega console was and I always advocated it, It was a shame that most people missed out on the Sega Saturn.
One thing that did bug me was that sometimes the conversions that came home were not arcade perfect however when a good conversion did hit home you appreciated it.
The Sega Saturn was the console that changed my view of Sega and while certain games that should have come out on it like Shen-mue , Virtua Fighter 3 and Sonic were never released for the life of the console.
It had and still has gameplay experiences not offered on other consoles.
It still bugs me that towards the end of the Saturns life most games became import only and very expensive and being a school kid at the time I had either little or no money to get the special games that showed what the Saturn was capable of.
Games like the King of Fighters series , Xmen vs streetfighter , Shining Force 3 part 2 and 3, Grandia, Castlevania and Dead or Alive.
I could import some of those but others were left untranslated it was also one of those times where I played games as my main past time but these days things have changed and while I'm still interested in playing games I don't devote as much time as I used to.
For me the Sega Saturn marked the monumental change where games had 3d graphics which enhanced gameplay in various ways and it also marked a period where games actually looked like their Arcade counterparts as opposed to ports like the 16bit consoles used to have.

The Dreamcast is a close second favourite console since it marked the time where home actually beat the arcades for the first time and conversions were arcade perfect , near perfect or enhanced.
For me the Dreamcast delivered what I had always craved from the time of when I started playing games,
Arcade perfection.
I remember in the old days how good an Arcade conversion was , was the measure of to market the console.
The Sega Saturn gave me a taste of Arcade at home but the Dreamcast was everything that the Sega Saturn and boasted every effect in the book like bilinear / trilinear filtering, Bump mapping , and the much vaunted transparencies that the Saturn lacked.
Hardware wise it delivered everything it had promised and maybe more since it was the console that delivered HD way before its time.
One thing bugged me though the pad design lacked 2 buttons that the old Sega Saturn analog controller had and this made things awkward in certain games although thankfully there were other pads released to remedy this situation like the Ascii pad for the streetfighter type games.
I did want one thing though some model 2 conversions would have been good since certain games like Virtua Fighter 2 lacked 3d backgrounds and people that attacked the Saturn conversion always picked at this one weakness.

All in all since these two consoles marked such a great change in history they will always be my favourite consoles.
Shame they had to go Software only, Thats the one thing I hate about Sega at the moment their franchises are dispersed over the three current gen consoles , Xbox , PS2 , Gamecube.
I didn't know which console to buy to fullfil my Sega cravings at the time , I mean the Xbox got Panzer Dragoon and Shenmue.
Sony got the bulk of the retro titles like Virtua Fighter 2 and still not released here in the UK and Gamecube got Sonic adventure.
I would have prefered them to released all of their games multiplatform instead of exclusitivity deals for certain franchises.
JC
16-bit

Post by JC »

Saturn hands down for me. Then Dreamcast. Never had a Genesis, as I was all about the SNES back then.
alexkidd
24-bit

Saturn, also sms afficionado

Post by alexkidd »

Saturn is my all time fav console (Saturn Bomberman and Shining Force III series are my fav games). I'm also an SMS geek, but I didn't pick one up until late in the 16 bit days when I found one really cheap. There are only about 10 A list games for it but those 10 stack up well against the NES best.
lordofduct
Next-Gen

Post by lordofduct »

EASY!

SegaCD!!!!!

I love my Genny, put many hours into it. Obsessed with my Dreamcast with all it's great games and its awesome controller. The Saturn is adored by me for a lot of it's unique titles, but there was a lot of crap on it.

SegaCD gets my vote though due to most of my all time fav games being on it. Lunar 1+2, Shining Force CD, Sonic CD, Pitfall, Eternal Champions CD, Mickey Mania, Ecco 1+2 (with their amazing soundtracks), Earthworm Jim (with its supped up soundtrack and extra levels)... man I could go on forever! I've clocked more hours on that system then on anything else. Still own the same one I bought back when the thing came out. 15+ years of love and adoration for a console makes for a match made in heaven. She will be burried with me on my death bed.
www.lordofduct.com - check out my blog

Space Puppy Studios - games for gamers by gamers
risk
16-bit

Re: Saturn, also sms afficionado

Post by risk »

walrus12 wrote:Saturn is my all time fav console (Saturn Bomberman and Shining Force III series are my fav games). I'm also an SMS geek, but I didn't pick one up until late in the 16 bit days when I found one really cheap. There are only about 10 A list games for it but those 10 stack up well against the NES best.

im a big fan of the shinning force series. shining force neo on ps2 was ok but a dissapointment.
msimplay
64-bit

Re: Saturn, also sms afficionado

Post by msimplay »

risk wrote:
walrus12 wrote:Saturn is my all time fav console (Saturn Bomberman and Shining Force III series are my fav games). I'm also an SMS geek, but I didn't pick one up until late in the 16 bit days when I found one really cheap. There are only about 10 A list games for it but those 10 stack up well against the NES best.

im a big fan of the shinning force series. shining force neo on ps2 was ok but a dissapointment.

yeah I would have prefered it to follow the shining force 3 style
Zork
32-bit

Post by Zork »

I find it interesting how the Saturn and Dreamcast are really close, I would've figured the Genesis and Dreamcast being closer...
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Zork wrote:I find it interesting how the Saturn and Dreamcast are really close, I would've figured the Genesis and Dreamcast being closer...

There are a lot of Saturn fans here. I get a lot of traffic from Saturn-related searches.
metaleggman
128-bit

Post by metaleggman »

racketboy wrote:
Zork wrote:I find it interesting how the Saturn and Dreamcast are really close, I would've figured the Genesis and Dreamcast being closer...

There are a lot of Saturn fans here. I get a lot of traffic from Saturn-related searches.

I actually remember coming here because of wanting to figure out what games were shoot 'em ups, as you had a nice list. I am actually kindof dissapointed that most DC games are rips, while you have to get a flash cart to play genesis roms. So I just spent my money on a modded saturn. Eventually I will splurge and get a genesis or a DC, and some good games. Just my reasoning as to why I like the saturn best. I'm such a cheap person :lol: but, I mainly have copies of JAP games, so w/e.