Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Fragems
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by Fragems Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:36 pm

1. Injustice Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition(PS4)(Good)
2. Infamous First Light(PS4)(Good)
3. Drakengard 3(PS3) *Endings 1-4. Ending 5 I watched online due to BS boss.(Good except for the boss of the final alternate branch ending who can go burn in a firey hell :lol: )
4. Infamous Second Son(PS4)(Good)
5. Thomas Was Alone(PS4)(Great)
6. Uncharted Drake's Fortune(PS3) *(Good)
7. Uncharted 2 Among Thieves(PS3) *(Great)
8. Uncharted 3 Drake's Deception(PS3) **(Good)
9. Deadpool(PS3)(Great)
10. Red Dead Redemption(360)(Good)
11. Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare(360)(Okay)
12. The Walking Dead Survival Instinct(360)(Shit)
13. Fuse(360)(Okay)
14. The Bureau Xcom Declassified(360)(Okay)
15. Asura's Wrath(360)(Great)
16. Beneath a Steel Sky(PC)(Good)
17. Soul Gambler(PC)(Okay)
19. Harvester(PC)(Good, but disturbing)
20. Coma: Mortuary(PC)(Shit)
21. Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure(PC)(Good)
22. Freedom Planet(PC)(Great)
23. Tropico 3 Steam Special Edition(PC)(Great)
24. Far Cry 4(PS3)(Okay kinda meh)
25. Shellshock 2 Blood Trails(360)(Shit)
26. Grand Theft Auto V(PC)(Great)
27. Shadow of Mordor(PS4)(Great)
28. Call of Duty Advanced Warfare(PS4)(Okay)
29. Fallout 3(PC)
30. Fallout 3: Operation Anchorage(DLC)(PC)
31. Fallout 3: Broken Steel(DLC)(PC)
32. Fallout 3: Mothership Zeta(DLC)(PC)
33. Fallout 3: Point Lookout(DLC)(PC)
34. Dying Light(Xbox One)

Dying Light

Basically an improved Dead Island with a light sprinkling of mirror edge. Really enjoyed the game and finishing the base campaign with barely touching any side missions took me around 10-11 hours. The story is solid with plenty of solid characters and side stories as well as a really great antagonist. The game play also works very well and while similar to Dead Island forces you to pick your targets wisely and avoid combat as much as possible. The parkour system while pretty basic is nice as well and works pretty smoothly 99% of the time and while not as smooth as say mirror's edge is pretty solid with a good mix of skills about the only thing missing was wall running. Probably the best experience is the night time though things get so frantic when the nightmare creatures come out and it's really easy to get swarmed if they notice you. Really enjoyed the finale as well it was a pretty large parkour section stuffed full of zombies that really pump up the tension. Sadly the final boss is a quick time event, but working my way to him was enjoyable enough that I didn't mind.

Only gripes I have is for the first half of the game the check points suck :P. That being said the only issue there was the early missions where the game would simply send you to the nearest base a couple blocks away since there were hardly ever check points. Later game there are checkpoints everywhere and since the game doesn't re spawn enemies things get insanely easy since the only thing you lose on death is survival points which doesn't really impact much. Another issue is the fact that medkits take two items to create and rarely see a medkit in the wild. During the last quarter of the game every medical cabinet I ran into only had gauze so I ended up with about 40 of those, but no alcohol to combine them with so I only managed to make 4-5 in the last maybe 3-4 hours of the game :P. Wouldn't be so bad if the consumables in the environment healed you for more then the 1-2% they do :P or if they bothered placing med kits in the environment every now and then. Finally a minor gripe was the iron sights being mapped to clicking the right thumb stick wasn't a huge fan of that and like dead island the second half of the game basically requires a ton of gun play.
dust_hound
24-bit

by dust_hound Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:13 am

1) Dead Space Extraction (Wii); January 3
2) Resident Evil 4 (Wii); January 11
3) Disaster: Day of Crisis (Wii); January 13
4) Sin and Punishment: Successor of the Skies (Wii); January 16
5) Shadowrun Returns (Android); January 25
6) Gravity Rush (PS Vita); April 4
7) Shin Megami Tensei: Persona (PSP); June 7

8) Donkey Kong (Gameboy on 3DS Virtual Console); August 11

Man, i loved playing through Donkey Kong! That condensed platform-puzzle gameplay really struck a chord with me, and the extremely elegant use of Mario's new skills like the backflip, and handstand added versatility, as did the continual addition of mechanics, like the ropes where climbing a single one was slow, but lowering was fast, whilst climbing two was fast, but lowering was slow. I found the levels where you had to activate the disappearing platforms/ladders, then race to a certain point before they vanished, or similar mechanics with the key, to be really rewarding, and felt that the difficulty of those puzzles was tuned just right so as not to be *too* frustrating. Overall, i really enjoyed this game, and will almost certainly revisit it many times in future.

Right, back to trying to beat Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles and Metroid Prime 3 (Wii), and i also just started playing Metroid 2 (Gameboy on 3DS VC).
TSTR
Next-Gen

by TSTR Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:37 am

Donkey Kong GB is such a great game. I remember back when I had my DMG as a kid and got that game. I was so surprised that it continued on after the initial four levels, as I was expecting just a simple arcade port. What I got was so much more.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:13 am

TSTR wrote:Donkey Kong GB is such a great game. I remember back when I had my DMG as a kid and got that game. I was so surprised that it continued on after the initial four levels, as I was expecting just a simple arcade port. What I got was so much more.

Agreed. It is not only one of the best Gameboy games, it is one of the best games on any console.

Another great action/puzzler for the Gameboy is Mole Mania. It was designed by Shigeru Miyamoto, and it is just as polished as Donkey Kong. I highly, highly recommend it.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:04 pm

it's really a shame how the series "evolved" with the Mario minis...the newest games are fine, but the first two (GB & GBA) are vastly superior...
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:08 pm

1. Call of Duty United Offensive Expansion Pack - PC (January 16)
2. Dead To Rights - Gamecube (January 24)
3. River City Ransom EX - GBA (February 21)
4. Call of Duty 2 - PC (February 28) (link missing due to this game's post being wiped during the great RB server move)
5. Quake - PC (March 31)
6. The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay - PC (April 5)
7. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon - PC (April 18)
8. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter - PC (May 19)
9. Super Puzzle Fighter II - GBA (May 23)
10. Saints Row The Third - PC (June 24)
11. Konami Krazy Racers - GBA (June 27)
12. *NEW* Medal of Honor: Airborne - PC (August 13)

The final disc in the MOH 10th Anniversary Collection. Now is the chance to become and experience what the Airborne accomplished in Europe during World War II (as an aside, my grandfather fought in this very theater as Airborne himself). It was also a visually striking entry in the series, courtesy of the then-new Unreal Engine 3.

2 things made this game stand out.

1) The fact that you could start anywhere in the current mission. Most FPS have pre-determined start and end points, but since you're jumping into every mission, you have the ability to choose where to begin, which provides a wealth of strategic and tactical options, not to mention attempting one of 5 "Skill Drops" in every mission.

2) Experience-based weapons upgrades. The more you use guns and grenades, the better they become. Stuff like reduced recoil, faster reloads, more ammo, and even special scopes are available.

As much care as was put into this game, you only get 6 missions, which are of reasonable length, but still very short for an FPS.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:59 pm

Games Beaten 2015

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call - 3DS
A Bird Story - PC
Quake - PC
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - PS4
Quake: Scourge of Armagon - PC
Quake: Dissolution of Eternity - PC
Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis - NDS
Painkiller - PC
Gungrave: Overdose - PS2
Adventure -Atari 2600 (PS2)
Auto Racing - Intellivision (PS2) [1979]
Boxing - Atari 2600 (PS2) [1980]
The Count - TI99/4A (emulated) [1981]
Dragonstomper - Atari 2600/Starpath Supercharger (emulated) [1982]
Enduro - Atari 2600 (PS2) [1983]
Diablo III - PS4
Front Line - Atari 2600 (emulated) [1984]
Gertie Goose - The Lost Eggs - C64 (emulated) [1985]
Ocean Commander - Wii
Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance - PS2
Diablo III: Reaper of Souls - PS4
Mortal Kombat: Deception - PS2
The Order: 1886 - PS4
The Uncle Who Works for Nintendo - PC
Grab Them By The Eyes - PC
Growl - PS2/Arcade
Hydlide - NES [1986]
Ikari Warriors - NES [1987]
Jonah Barrington's Squash - C64 (emulated) [1988]
Steel Diver - 3DS
Super Mario 3D World - - Wii U
Quake II - PC
Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number - PS4
Kung Fu Louie vs. The Martial Art Posse - PC [1989]
Loom - PC [1990]
Metroid II: Return of Samus - GB [1991]
Ninja Commando - - Arcade (MAME) [1992]
Tennis in the Face - Vita
Final Fantasy Type-0 HD - PS4
Quake II: The Reckoning - PC
Injustice: Gods Among Us - PS4
Assassin's Creed: Freedom Cry - PS4
Infamous: First Light - PS4
Race the Sun - PS4
Mad Riders - PS3
Destiny: House of Wolves - PS4
Escape Goat 2 - PS4
Tower of Guns - PS4
Wolfenstein: The Old Blood - PC
Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars - PS3
NotGTAV - - PC
Flower - PS4
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture- PS4
Towerfall - PS4 *new*
Cyberbots - PS1 *new*

Total: 55

Previously: 2014 | The First 400 Games

GunstarGreen and I have been working on the Towerfall co-op campaign off and on for the past six months or more...yesterday we finally beat it! Great game - one of the best "retro inspired" games of the past decade or so, I'd say.

Cyberbots is a fantastic PS1 fighter I picked up on a PSN sale a week or so ago. It is a spiritual precursor of sorts to Tech Romancer (which I have been playing today) and a great mech-based fighting title. Highly recommended!
Kidpanda
64-bit

by Kidpanda Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:07 pm

Yea, Cyberbots is a lot deeper than most give it credit for.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:36 am

First 50:

51. Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - PC
52. Starflight - PC

Now here is a good old game. Starflight is a fantastic game that simulates a mission to seek out new life and boldly go where no man has gone before. The game starts with you as one of several captains who have been commissioned by the leaders of Arth. Arth is a planet inhabited by humans, Velox (insect men), Thrynn (lizard men), and Elowan (plant men) that recently discovered evidence that they did not originate on Arth; they are instead survivors of the Noah 2 expedition from the Old Empire. Furthermore, these ruins that yielded this information also has information for building interplanetary starships. You are one of several captains who are being sent to explore the galaxy and make contact with other lifeforms. However, shortly into your journey it is discovered that Arth's sun is starting to show instabilities, and if those instabilities grow the sun will have a massive solar flare that will cleanse the system of life. As a result you gain an additional objective: find new worlds suitable for colonization so the population can escape the presumably doomed world.

When you build your crew you can choose from amongst the various races of Arth, each being good at a particular specialty; it behooves you to have a mixed crew. However, the composition of your crew can have consequences: in the distant past the Thrynn and Elowan were mortal enemies and they are still extant powers in the galaxy, so relations with the Thrynn won't go well if you have an Elowan crew member, and visa versa. There are other races you will discover outside of the ones on Arth. If you can achieve successful diplomatic relations with those races you can gain valuable insight, including knowledge that the solar flares that endanger Arth are artificially generated and it might be possible to stop them.

The game shifts between a few different views. The view you spend the most time in is the navigational view; you get a top-down view of your ship as you maneuver it between planets in a system or between stars in hyperspace, and this is the view used during combat (more on that in a bit). The game requires you to fund your own expedition; you have some starting credits but you will need to gain more in order to fully upgrade your ship and train your crew to expert level. This leads into the second view, where you can land on planets and explore them in a rover to collect minerals or samples of alien life (i.e. tranq animals and bring them back to the starport). The third view is the communications view, where you converse with aliens and can do things like adapt a posture (friendly, hostile, obsequies), make statements (which can affect your relations), and ask questions.

The planetary landings have a fair amount of tension in them, as inclement weather can harm your crew and you have to be conscious of the fact that your lander only has limited fuel; if you go to far away from the ship (which is affected by terrain) you will have to hike back and get a new lander from the starport. You can also be attacked by alien life. Planetary landings not only have resources, they also can have ruins where you can discover clues or important artifacts that can boost your ship's capabilities or are necessary for completing the main quest.

The combat is pretty bare bones, unfortunately, and is probably the weakest part of the game. Since ships are on a tile grid and move when a directional arrow is pushed the only tactic is to point your nose at the enemy ship and mash the fire button until they blow up. Additionally, the start of combat can involve a lot of clumsy flailing; the game has you go through menus to go through the different jobs and their functions. Let's say you were in conversation with an alien and pissed it off so it goes hostile. You will need to exit the Comm Officer menu, go to the Navigator menu, raise shields, arm weapons, and go into combat mode (where you maneuver and fire). You can fly around with preraised shields and weapons but shields drain significant fuel while they are up and armed weapons tend to annoy aliens.

However, since fighting is rarely required if you play your cards right it doesn't detract too much from the experience. The game is very good at leaving around breadcrumbs for you to find and make your way through the various quests in the game. Several of the hints require you to get clever and figure out exactly what they're talking about, and the whole game has a great exploration feel to it.

This game, in addition to its sequel, has a spiritual sequel in Star Control 2. Star Control 2 takes all the strong points of Starflight, makes several of them even better (thanks to 7 years of better technology and game design experience), and gives it a fantastic combat system based on Spacewar. If you're a fan of Star Control 2 then I heartily recommend Starflight.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:42 am

Games Beaten 2015
First 50 of the year:
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call - 3DS
A Bird Story - PC
Quake - PC
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - PS4
Quake: Scourge of Armagon - PC
Quake: Dissolution of Eternity - PC
Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis - NDS
Painkiller - PC
Gungrave: Overdose - PS2
Adventure -Atari 2600 (PS2)
Auto Racing - Intellivision (PS2) [1979]
Boxing - Atari 2600 (PS2) [1980]
The Count - TI99/4A (emulated) [1981]
Dragonstomper - Atari 2600/Starpath Supercharger (emulated) [1982]
Enduro - Atari 2600 (PS2) [1983]
Diablo III - PS4
Front Line - Atari 2600 (emulated) [1984]
Gertie Goose - The Lost Eggs - C64 (emulated) [1985]
Ocean Commander - Wii
Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance - PS2
Diablo III: Reaper of Souls - PS4
Mortal Kombat: Deception - PS2
The Order: 1886 - PS4
The Uncle Who Works for Nintendo - PC
Grab Them By The Eyes - PC
Growl - PS2/Arcade
Hydlide - NES [1986]
Ikari Warriors - NES [1987]
Jonah Barrington's Squash - C64 (emulated) [1988]
Steel Diver - 3DS
Super Mario 3D World - - Wii U
Quake II - PC
Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number - PS4
Kung Fu Louie vs. The Martial Art Posse - PC [1989]
Loom - PC [1990]
Metroid II: Return of Samus - GB [1991]
Ninja Commando - - Arcade (MAME) [1992]
Tennis in the Face - Vita
Final Fantasy Type-0 HD - PS4
Quake II: The Reckoning - PC
Injustice: Gods Among Us - PS4
Assassin's Creed: Freedom Cry - PS4
Infamous: First Light - PS4
Race the Sun - PS4
Mad Riders - PS3
Destiny: House of Wolves - PS4
Escape Goat 2 - PS4
Tower of Guns - PS4
Wolfenstein: The Old Blood - PC
Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars - PS3

NotGTAV - - PC
Flower - PS4
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture- PS4
Towerfall - PS4
Cyberbots - PS1
Battletoads (Arcade) - Xbox One *new*
Forza Horizon 2 presents Fast and Furious - Xbox One *new*

Total: 57

Previously: 2014 | The First 400 Games

I am starting to get my game beating groove back on, which bodes well for this list hitting some the targets I had at the start of the year...

Battletoads Arcade is on the Rare Replay collection, which is ace. This game was new to me and quite fun - it looks like a great lost Genesis/SNES title or some such and plays like a dream, although I'm never going to approach anything like a 1cc in this one. I have never been a big Battletoads guy, but this game is the first in the series I really very much enjoyed from start to finish.

The free Fast and Furious expansion for Forza Horizon 2 was a great excuse to revisit what might be my all time favorite driving/racing game for a few hours. There's nothing in it that is especially movie-centric (which was a plus, I thought), but you get to play around with a sizable area of the main game and have fun with a good selection of vehicles including a MacLaren P1 and a Bugatti Veyron. If you haven't played Horizon 2, this is a great chance to really get a feel for it for free. If, like me, you have previously played the main game and are looking for a good excuse to spend more time with it, this is certainly worth checking out.
Return to General Gaming