Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Summer Games Challenge 2015

by BoneSnapDeez Sat May 09, 2015 8:49 pm

I always found Earthworm Jim (and Western platformers in general, really) to be relentlessly difficult. Never came close to finishing it.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

by CFFJR Sat May 09, 2015 8:52 pm

Key-Glyph wrote:Started Earthworm Jim and... I can't make it past the first boss. I get loaded up with 2000%+ of gunfire just to get uppercutted to death.

What's the deal here? It seems like you can't avoid the Tire Man when he's rolling around, aiming to sock you. Are you required to take the hit? I've gotta be missing something here.

Oh, but you do get launched pretty high if you're holding jump... maybe there's stuff up in the air to grab. That would make the required hit, if it be so, make sense.

Hmm. Tests.

Answers, but in spoilers, in case you'd rather get it yourself.

Everytime he uppercuts you while rolling around, he restores his health. That's why you haven't been able to outlast him.

As for avoiding him, you definitely can jump well over him. He's fast, but it just requires learning the timing. Each time you jump over him and land you'll only have a short time to shoot him before you have to avoid him again. Sometimes you won't be able to shoot at all and must wait until the next pass.

Finally, this is actually the midboss for this level, and while there is nothing above you to grab here, there is something when you get to the proper boss. Use the spring. You'll know it when you see it.

Good luck!
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

by Key-Glyph Sat May 09, 2015 9:27 pm

Ah, CFFJR, thank you. I smoked him on the first retry, then phasered your initials into his garbage can as a tribute.
BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

by Sload Soap Sun May 10, 2015 8:37 am

Started my challenge last night with Final Fantasy II. I'll be playing the PSP remake.

Didn't get far in, met Josef and rescued his daughter, now I have to return to the mine and grab some mythril for the lovely Princess Hilda. Still not enough game time to make an accurate assessment of things yet.

It's definitely easier than the Famicom game and I think it also levels attributes a touch faster but that's it aside from the obvious graphical/audio improvements. On that note, while the redrawn sprites look a touch RPGmaker, the music is lovely.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

by CFFJR Sun May 10, 2015 2:32 pm

Key-Glyph wrote:Ah, CFFJR, thank you. I smoked him on the first retry, then phasered your initials into his garbage can as a tribute.

:lol:

Nicely done Key.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sun May 10, 2015 2:46 pm

Final Fantasy II is a lot of fun.
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

by laurenhiya21 Sun May 10, 2015 3:24 pm

Finally got started with Super Mario Bros 2 (playing on the WiiU since my NES doesn't work) and I'm liking it so far... but I think I'm going to have to use save states if I want to get through it. I only got to World 2 but I lost all my continues, and I'm not sure how many times I can stand restarting the game over and over :/ (I think I'll only put save states at the beginning of every World though)

Also, I thought I would be able to get my Super Famicom fixed and play a bunch of classics on there but... apparently no one in Seattle deals with import consoles?? Lame. I don't have any problems with emulating, but I really wanted something to play something without using some form of emulation :/
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Sun May 10, 2015 4:26 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Final Fantasy II is a lot of fun.

Agreed. I really like it too.

PRO-TIP: Be sure to level up the "temporary" party members a bit. This will make the new post-game content a lot easier.

laurenhiya21 wrote:I only got to World 2 but I lost all my continues, and I'm not sure how many times I can stand restarting the game over and over :/ (I think I'll only put save states at the beginning of every World though)

PRO-TIP: Grab as many coins as you can in the first few stages, and when you get to the "slot machine" at the end of each stage, mash the "a" button as quickly as you can. More likely than not, you will start getting cherries on at least the first slot, and you will build up a lot of lives very quickly.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

by CFFJR Sun May 10, 2015 7:24 pm

Just beat Earthworm Jim!

1.Mega Turrican
2.Strider
3.Vectorman
4.Earthworm Jim - Complete
5.Ghouls 'N Ghosts - Complete

6.Toejam & Earl
7.Phantasy Star 4
8.Alien Soldier
9.The Revenge of Shinobi
10.Flashback: The Quest for Identity

So as a kid, I really, really sucked at Earthworm Jim. The only time I saw any levels beyond the first was if I watched a friend play. It put me off the game for years.

When I first started playing the game again for this challenge, I realized that was because the game doesn't control the way I expected it to. Maybe its the animation or the influence other games have had on me, but whatever the case, from the shooting to the whipping to the jumping to the level design that didn't always make it clear what was a platform or a background object (until you get used to it of course), I had to adjust.

Once I did though, I had a blast. The game is completely absurd and hilarious. Its fairly challenging, but not frustrating, and as much as it'll kick your ass at the start, you'll improve quickly. Its very rewarding overall and the ridiculous ending makes it all worthwhile.

For my money though, the Genesis exclusive level Intestinal Distress is by far the hardest. If you can get past that, the final level Buttville (yep) will feel light and breezy (yep again).

Loved it.

Vectorman is next, possibly tonight. There's still a lot of Sunday left and I think I can finish it on my next attempt.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sun May 10, 2015 8:30 pm

Damn dude are you a platforming god?

@laurenhiya21
Play as Princess Toadstool through the entire game. Srsly.
Return to General Gaming