NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Re: Nintendo Is Hurting :(

by RyaNtheSlayA Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:23 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:I'm trying to think of a handheld game that had popular online multiplayer besides Mario Kart.

Words with Friends (iOS)?

There are a lot of very popular, competitive, online, multiplayer games on Apple's devices.

Okay, fair enough if we're talking about iOS games. I'm trying to think of dedicated handheld consoles however.

Especially at the time, I don't think there were any for quite a while after release.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

by ZeroAX Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:27 pm

RyaNtheSlayA wrote:I'm trying to think of a handheld game that had popular online multiplayer besides Mario Kart.

Pokemon, Sonic, Zelda spring off my mind.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
Ivo
Next-Gen

by Ivo Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:44 pm

I haven't followed the whole discussion but Wii Sports has to be considered an influential game, and it came out more recently than the N64!
Same goes (whether you like it or not) for other "casual" titles that were "strong" enough to get Microsoft to start with the Kinect and Sony with the Move. Mostly Wii Sports, but other titles by Nintendo as well (the Wii Wario Ware perhaps).

On the handheld side I think there were a few adventure type games on the DS that were influential and probably played a role in reviving the genre - but they weren't made by Nintendo.
I also think that some of the better touch screen games (perhaps Kirby Canvas Curse can apply?) were influential in getting developers to then develop for touch screens on iOS. Although arguably the best touch screen games are stuff like Trauma Center and Ouendan / Elite Beat Agents which again, are not by Nintendo.
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:50 pm

RyaNtheSlayA wrote:Especially at the time, I don't think there were any for quite a while after release.

True online versus ad-hoc was being done before, thought it's hard to say the degree of its popularity. Still, PSP actually did it first, as Twisted Metal: Head-On supported it, and was a launch title for the system in the US. SOCOM Fire Team Bravo came out a couple weeks before Mario Kart and had online play with voice chat/etc as well.

I don't doubt Mario Kart was popular, as it's a popular series, but the functionality in and of itself was certainly not exactly unheard of.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

by casterofdreams Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:08 pm

Nintendo is hurting so bad that they might pull a Sega, dump the current hardware, and come out with something else. Rumors of course.

http://www.destructoid.com/rumor-ninten ... ode=mobile
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:18 pm

Source:
http://www.nintendonews.com/2014/01/nin ... ware-name/

I dont believe it, it came at too perfect of a time. But I do think the next Nintendo console will be a portable that docks for console gaming. Since the hardware should be able to support it graphically by then.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

by casterofdreams Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:36 pm

fastbilly1 wrote:Source:
http://www.nintendonews.com/2014/01/nin ... ware-name/

I dont believe it, it came at too perfect of a time. But I do think the next Nintendo console will be a portable that docks for console gaming. Since the hardware should be able to support it graphically by then.

I don't believe it either. Even if it remotely holds a shred of truth is that the real solution to Nintendo's problem? New hardware?

I should have probably sourced the article they sourced. Sorry bout that.
corn619
Next-Gen

by corn619 Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:24 pm

dsheinem wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:During the last decade, I think that Nintendo showed most of its innovation in the handheld space, and I think Nintendo's influence on modern gaming is more apparent there.

Just out of curiosity, what Nintendo-produced DS/3DS games would you say can already be considered influential?
I would say Kirby's Canvas Curse, Nintendogs, Rhythm Heaven, Elite Beat Agents, Animal Crossing, Professor Layton and Brain Age. I think its fair to say these games have been influential to touchscreen and mobile gaming in particular IMO. 3DS is still a bit young to have spawned any influential games yet.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:52 pm

corn619 wrote:
dsheinem wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:During the last decade, I think that Nintendo showed most of its innovation in the handheld space, and I think Nintendo's influence on modern gaming is more apparent there.

Just out of curiosity, what Nintendo-produced DS/3DS games would you say can already be considered influential?
I would say Kirby's Canvas Curse, Nintendogs, Rhythm Heaven, Elite Beat Agents, Animal Crossing, Professor Layton and Brain Age. I think its fair to say these games have been influential to touchscreen and mobile gaming in particular IMO. 3DS is still a bit young to have spawned any influential games yet.

Yup, i think I can see the arguments for all of those. Thanks for the elaboration - it seems that mobile game devs do regularly take inspiration from some of the design choices made by Nintendo teams.

I think, if Nintendo could still create the same kind of influential titles on their consoles, we wouldn't be having this kind of discussion about the Wii U.
Flake

by Flake Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:00 pm

If Nintendo had named the WiiU the Wii2, we wouldn't be having this discussion.
The PSTV is amazing.
---------------
Nintendo ID: Mecha_Flake
PS Network: jace-flake
Return to Nintendo