PC Engine questions

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
emurozii
16-bit

PC Engine questions

Post by emurozii »

Hi everyone, I only played a PC engine CD system for one brief time a long time ago, so I know little about it.

Basically, I want a PC Engiine CD-add on to play the CD role-playing titles. However, I have some questions: 1) which CD-add on do I need (I believe there is more than one of them?), 2) are CD games region free and 3) would I be better off buying a PC Engine Duo (which is the CD-built-in machine, I think?) or just the standalone system + CD add-on? Thanks to anyone who replies!
Last edited by emurozii on Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Re: PC Engine questions

Post by fastbilly1 »

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/turbogra ... ners-guide
That will answer most of your questions.

But Duo or Duo-R are considered the best by most, and have a price tag to reflect that. And yes CD games are region free.
sosoyo180
24-bit

Post by sosoyo180 »

You can usually get a Turbo Duo on eBay for about $200-$250 and that's definitely the way to go.

Just make sure the laser works 100%.
Duke.Togo
128-bit

Post by Duke.Togo »

The CD games are region free. If you are starting from scratch, look for a recapped Duo.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Fortunately, the CD laser pickups can be replaced by a skilled hand for most of the PC Engine hardware. The real problem, at this point in time, is that on the original TG-CD and PC Engine briefcase CD units is that the belts and gears are not easily available and usually come from cannibalizing another system. A Duo is thus probably a safer bet, though the first generation Duo (the darker plastic model), Japanese and US, has poor quality capacitors and will likely need to be re-capped by someone with the appropriate skills.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
ApolloBoy
128-bit

Post by ApolloBoy »

marurun wrote:The real problem, at this point in time, is that on the original TG-CD and PC Engine briefcase CD units is that the belts and gears are not easily available and usually come from cannibalizing another system.

The PCE CD/TG-CD doesn't use a belt as far as I know, it's all gears. The main problem is the middle gear which disintegrates over time, and cannibalizing one from another system is not an option because of this. Replacement gears have been available on PC Engine FX for quite a while, both in plastic and brass.
Own: 2600, 2DS, 2DS XL, 360 S, 5200, 7800, 800, 800XL, AES, Amiga 600, C64, C64C, CV, DC, Duo-R, GB, GBA, GBA SP, GBC, GBP, Genesis 2, GG, JP SMS, Lynx, Mark III, Mega CD II, MD, MSX2+, N64, NES, NES top loader, Nomad, PCE, PSX, PS2, RetroUSB AVS, SAT, SFC, SG-1000 II, SMS, SNES mini, Switch, TE, Twin Fami, VIC-20, Wii, XEGS