The Month of Horror PART IV: dsheinem vs. noiseredux

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: The Month of Horror PART IV: dsheinem vs. noiseredux

Post by noiseredux »

Dog Soldiers is great. But Ginger Snaps is my preference. But besides having werewolves, they're not even similar movies. Dog Soldiers is about soldiers. Ginger Snaps is about high school girls.

I love werewolf movies though. But none of this matters. Point is I've been on prfsnl to watch Ginger Snaps for years but his wife has something against punny titles haha.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Luke wrote:
Ack wrote:
Luke, only bother playing Painkiller on the highest difficulty. It's still doable, but it presents a much better challenge. I had a cakewalk getting through it on normal. The Battle Out of Hell expansion is also harder than the original game and worth checking out.

Yup. I've beaten the game before and believe I own the expansion as well. It's not a bad game, it's just not for me. I can only "Repel, strafe, shoot" so many times before it gets boring.

I think the game remains interesting depending on the weapon I'm using. For instance, I quickly get bored using the shotgun, but the stake gun has me laughing with glee continuously. Unfortunately I tend to run out of ammo with it because I tend to use it the most and only switch to other weapons when I have to.

Painkiller reminds me of a far less interesting Serious Sam.

noiseredux wrote:Dog Soldiers is great. But Ginger Snaps is my preference. But besides having werewolves, they're not even similar movies. Dog Soldiers is about soldiers. Ginger Snaps is about high school girls.

I love werewolf movies though. But none of this matters. Point is I've been on prfsnl to watch Ginger Snaps for years but his wife has something against punny titles haha.

It's a pun? I thought the movie was about cookies...
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

noiseredux wrote:Point is I've been on prfsnl to watch Ginger Snaps for years but his wife has something against punny titles haha.

We actually really want to watch it. She thinks the title is hilarious - and she is not sure that she can take the movie seriously - but those facts have never stopped us from watching anything. (Hell...we fell in love over cheap Chinese food and vintage Kung Fu films with titles like Snake in the Eagle's Shadow and My Name Called Bruce.)

I promise...promise...as soon as I find a copy of the movie (or as soon as it is available for streaming), we will watch it. :lol:

EDIT: Am I the only one here with this book? My dog-eared copy of it is essential reading every October.
Last edited by prfsnl_gmr on Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I'm actually really surprised it's not on Netflix. Isn't most Lion's Gate stuff on there? Weird.

Did you add American Mary to your queue?
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

noiseredux wrote:I'm actually really surprised it's not on Netflix. Isn't most Lion's Gate stuff on there? Weird.

Did you add American Mary to your queue?

Of course!
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:EDIT: Am I the only one here with this book? My dog-eared copy of it is essential reading every October.

I have a copy currently sitting next to my bed :) A couple of the included films are questionable additons :? , and it's a shame that it doesn't include anything from the last 15 years, but it's a fun little resource.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Michi wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:EDIT: Am I the only one here with this book? My dog-eared copy of it is essential reading every October.

I have a copy currently sitting next to my bed :) A couple of the included films are questionable additons :? , and it's a shame that it doesn't include anything from the last 15 years, but it's a fun little resource.

I've had that book for uh jeez, 10 years? Yeah it's great.
Damm64
Next-Gen

Post by Damm64 »

So yeah that Slenderman game... why i'm so slow on it?
noiseredux wrote:I don't lend shit and I don't borrow shit.

Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

Spoiler-ed for the sake of Ack.

Warlock
Warlock
Well, more accurately, he’s come to destroy the 80’s, but I’ll let that slide.

I was expecting this movie to be more violent than it was. Or maybe it had just the right amount of violence and I just watched too much Hatchet.

Warlock is the story of… wait for it… a Warlock who was captured in 1691. On the eve of his execution a magic storm is summoned that propels him 300 years into 1980’s Los Angeles. Luckily, Redferne the witch hunter follows and he and 20 year-old airhead Kassandra team up to try to stop the Warlock’s nefarious plan to destroy the world.

I was surprised how much I enjoyed this film. It was campy good fun, with laughs that were more intentional rather than not, and with some genuinely creepy moments. Though, if I had to think about it too long I‘d feel it was more of a supernatural thriller than an all out horror movie.

The violence is tame by today’s standards, with some of the truly most gruesome acts happening off screen. It does have some truly violent stuff, but it usually cuts out the middle, only showing the before and after effects and skipping over the more gory details.

Being from the 80’s, most of the special effects leave much to be desired. The practical, physical effects are fine to look at…

Some of them even look back. Ha!

But the use of overlays are in full force here. Some of them don’t look so bad.

Well, at least in motion they don’t look so bad.

But a lot of them are pretty dated.

The makeup department was also a bit hit and miss with me. While the demon makeup turned out pretty well.

Nice to see they use toothpaste in Hell

Kassandra’s “OMG, I just aged 20 years overnight" wasn’t quite as believable.

Oh please, you barely look 30. Put some makeup on and you’ll be fine.

One of the things I was really bummed out about were some of the flying scenes. I got all psyched when I realized the Warlock was going to fly and had visions of a blond, black-clad badass flying around Superman-style only to be graced with this:

Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaame.

Bummer. Thankfully that’s the only time you see him like that and the rest of the film sticks to traditional wire, close-ups and closed sets for the rest of his flightscapades.

But those are really minor quibbles. It’s a fun movie with a good villain who is evily charming, and quirky heroes who under no circumstances should be working together.

The amazing duo this is not.

I hear the second one is better (and the third one took a nosedive into crapsville), so I’m looking forward to watching Warlock: Armageddon soon.

Moral of the story: Evil is everywhere, so always remember to keep that canister of salt handy. You never know when you'll need to make a circle or salt a whip.

I told you, this isn’t for the Warlock. It’s for my Iodine deficiency.