How Is Your SNES Gaming Going?

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
BurningDoom
Next-Gen

How Is Your SNES Gaming Going?

Post by BurningDoom »

We have them on the Sega board, so why not some Nintendo equivalents?

How is your SNES gaming going? Post whatever related to it, here.

SNES is one of my all-time favorite console. Depending on my mood, the SNES and NES duke it out for my #1 favorite console of all-time spot. Some of the best games ever made were on this system. And it has a comfortable, sturdy controller as well as very reliable hardware.

It's a shame that SNES collecting has becoming so expensive, lately, though. It used to be one of the consoles that was actually cheaper to collect for (not counting the always expensive JRPGs), which used to be a big plus for the system. Oh well, glad I'm got some of the best titles on the system, while they were still affordable.

I just recently downloaded Secret of Mana and Super Mario RPG on Wii Virtual Console. Soooo much hype surrounding those games. I really hope they can live up to the expectations.

Here's my SNES Collection. I'd say that while I don't have a whole lot of SNES games, the ones I do have are some of the best in the SNES's library, IMO:

SNES Cartridges:
-Game Genie
-Donkey Kong Country 1 & 2
-F-Zero
-Final Fight
-Gradius III
-Home Alone
-Hook
-The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
-Marvel Super Heroes: War of the Gems
-Maximum Carnage (Spider-Man & Venom)
-Mega Man X
-Mighty Morphin Power Rangers
-Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Fighting Edition
-Mortal Kombat 3 (I have MK 1 on Genesis, but sadly no MK II yet)
-Separation Anxiety (Spider-Man & Venom)
-Sim City
-Street Fighter II: Turbo
-Starfox
-Super Castlevania IV
-Super Mario All-Stars
-Super Mario Kart
-Super Mario World
-Super Metroid
-Super R-Type
-Terminator 2: The Arcade Game
-Wolfenstein 3-D
-X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse

Wii Virtual Console SNES Games:
-Breath of Fire II
-Chrono Trigger
-Kirby Super Star
-The Secret of Mana
-Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

I REALLY need Axelay and Contra III in my collection.
Game Trade/Want List:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28206

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Super GB, N64, Gamecube, GB Player, Wii, Sega Power Base Converter, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, TurboGrafx-16, PlayStation, PS2 Slim, XBox, XBox 360, Game Boy, GBC, GBA-SP, DS, Game Gear, GG Master Converter
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Re: How Is Your SNES Gaming Going?

Post by GSZX1337 »

BurningDoom wrote:I just recently downloaded Secret of Mana and Super Mario RPG on Wii Virtual Console. Soooo much hype surrounding those games. I really hope they can live up to the expectations.

SMRPG is probably my favorite RPG. Then again, that's probably not saying much since I'm not really into RPGs. It's not as long as most RPGs but the brevity is packed full of interesting characters, fun characters, and fun gameplay.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

My SNES gaming hasn't been going that well. As you said, BurningDoom, collecting for the SNES has become more expensive. I don't own many SNES games as I only bought one about a year and a half ago and I have been collecting/buying more PS2 and PS3 games. I probably play my SNES the least out of all my consoles, which I know is pretty sacrilegious. I have completed Zelda but none of the other games.

My list of games:

SNES Cartridges:
-Contra III
-Donkey Kong Country
-The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
-The Secret of Mana
-Super Mario All-Stars
-Super Mario Kart
-Super Mario World
-Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
-Super Metroid

Wii U Virtual Console SNES Games:
-Earthbound
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
hashiriya1
Next-Gen

Post by hashiriya1 »

All of my US SNES games I have since new and never really bothered buying anything after that generation was finished. I had a SNES game copier when i was a kid, so most of my SNES games were obtained by renting carts and copying them onto 3.5 floppies. I must have had at least 50 or more ill-gotten games. I rarely touch my SNES, but I play SFC often.

Off the top of my head...

SNES:
F-Zero
Pilotwings
Sim City
Final Fantasy II
Super Mario World
Super Mario Kart
Soul Blazer
Secret of Mana
Super Tennis
Nolan Ryan Baseball
Street Fighter II
Street Fighter II Turbo
Super Street Fighter II
Super Ghouls N Ghosts
Zelda: A Link to the Past
Mortal Kombat I & II
Star Fox
Actraiser

Super Famicom:
Doremi Fantasy
Contra Spirits
Axelay
Super Aleste
Area 88
Super Metroid
Zero 4 Champ RR
Xardion
STG
Spriggan Powered
Ninja Ryukenden Tomoe (Ninja Gaiden Trilogy)
Undercover Cops
Rushing Beat
Rushing Beat Ran
Rushing Beat Shura
Bishin Densetsu Zoku
Ninja Warriors Again
Assault Suits Valken
Caravan Shooting Collection
Rockman & Forte
Rockman 7
Rockman X, X2, X3
Rockman Soccer
Bishojo Senshi Sailor Moon R
Go Go Ackman 1,2,3
Cotton 100%
Pretty Fighter
Super Donkey Kong 1, 2, 3
Akumajo Dracula XX
Super R-Type
R-Type III
Hashiriya-kon
Final Fight 1, 2, Tough
Double Dragon Returns
Super Mario World
Super Mario Collection
Final Fantasy IV, V, VI
Daiku no Gen-san
Pilotwings
Street Fighter Zero 2
Star Ocean
Tales of Phantasia
Psycho Dream
Valis IV
Sparkster
Super Air Diver I & II
Shin Nekketsu no Kouha
Rokudenashi Blues
Doom
Wolfenstein 3D
Desert Strike
Super Genjin 1, 2

I have a lot more SFC games but that is all I remember. I love the SFC as it is one of my favorite consoles.
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

I have over 100 snes games, so I won't be listing them, but I'v beaten a few greats this year including DKC, Starfox, Final Fight and others.

It just occurred to me I haven't beaten the trilogy this year. Something I need to rectify tonight/tomorrow.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Luke, don't be lazy, list your games! I'll list mine...

Yes, it's a shame how expensive a lot of SNES games have become. A shame because I know a lot of people wont get to play some great games that haven't made it to VC yet, and some that most likely wont. Earthbound finally got a VC release because of huge fan demand, but there's still plenty of great games that are super expensive now that I feel might not be popular enough to get a VC release. One of my favorite games for the system, E.V.O., is something like $150+ now IIRC, and I don't think it's well known enough by the mainstream to get a VC release.

Luckily, since the SNES has always been my #1, I got a lot of games back when and a ton more recently before prices started to skyrocket. Knights of the Round, for example, is a pretty fun game. I got it for maybe $15, but I wouldn't spend any more than that on it personally. It goes for like $40-60 now on eBay. I got Earthbound for about $60, but I sold it a year or two ago (wasn't a fan).

What I suggest to every SNES lover is to just get a flash cart. Some of them are pretty expensive, but considering how much SNES games are going for these days, I feel they're WELL worth the price. That's where I'm at now with my SNES collection. I have a decent size collection, and all of the carts that really mean something to me. There's games that I have yet to play and would really like to but can't afford to buy them. I have no qualms about playing them on a flash cart. That, and also there's a ton of fan translations of games that are really worth playing (Seiken Densetsu 3 aka Secret of Mana 2, Star Ocean, Final Fantasy 5, the list goes on and on).

My collection:
Akumajo Dracula (SFC)
Aliens VS Predator
Arkanoid - Doh It Again
Batman Forever
Batman Returns
Buster Busts Loose
Championship Pool
Captain Commando (SFC)
Castlevania IV
Castlevania Dracula X
Chrono Trigger
Contra III
Cybernator
Daffy Duck The Marvin Missions
Disney's Aladdin
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3
E.V.O. Search for Eden
Final Fantasy II (AKA 4)
Final Fantasy III (AKA 6)
Final Fantasy 5 (SFC)
Final Fight
Final Fight 2 (SFC)
Final Fight 3
F-Zero
The Ignition Factor
Hook
Home Alone
Home Alone 2
Illusion of Gaia
Jurassic Park
Kirby's Dream Land 3
Kirby Super Star
Knights of the Round
Legend of Zelda, The - Link to the Past
Lion King, The
Little Magic (SFC)
Mario & Wario (SFC)
Mario Paint
Mega Man 7
Mega Man X
Mega Man X2
Mega Man X3
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers
Mortal Kombat
Mortal Kombat II
Mortal Kombat 3
Ninja Warriors
Out of this World
Pitfall
Paladin's Quest
Plok
R-Type III
Secret of Mana
Sim City
Simpson's, The - Bart's Nightmare
Skyblazer
Star Fox
Street Fighter II
Street Fighter II Turbo
Super Bomberman (SFC)
Super Bomberman 2 (SFC)
Super Bomberman 3 (SFC)
Super Bomberman 4 (SFC)
Super Bomberman: Panic Bomber W (SFC)
Super Double Dragon
Super Empire Strikes Back
Super Mario All Stars
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario RPG
Super Mario World
Super Metroid
Super Off-Road
Super Off-Road The Baja
Super Punch Out!!
super R-Type
Super Return of the Jedi
Super Star Wars
Super Street Fighter II
Taz-mania
Tecmo Super Bowl
Top Gear
Top Gear 2
Top Gear 3000
TMNT Tournament Fighters
TMNT IV - Turtles in Time
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
X-Men - Mutant Apocalypse
Yoshi's Island
Zombies Ate My Neighbors

Super Flash Cart (Tototek)
Game Genie
Super Game Boy

I actually have more, but I don't consider them part of my collection for one reason or another. I have a couple dupes, a dozen or two sport games, SF Alpha 2 and a couple of other random games. I actually had more, but I decided to part with certain things to raise money for other purchases.

I had a bunch of repros back when I was making them. SOM2, Star Fox 2, Star Ocean, etc. But that's where a flash cart will come into play these days for me. I haven't played either SoM yet, but when I finally get around to playing the first one I'll just play the second on a cart. Star Ocean was an amazing game, any one that likes Sci Fi and RPGs should definitely play it.

After looking at some current going prices, I was considering selling Mega Man X2 and X3 and using the money to buy an Sd2snes flash cart. If they hold their value, I'll definitely do that at some point. I'm really not attached to those carts in any way.

The main reason why my SNES collection is so big is because one year I went a little nutty with my tax return. It was back before I owned a flash cart, I decided I wanted to try a bunch of games that I haven't played before, and get some games that I played at some point but don't own. I dropped a lot of money, but I'm kinda glad I did. I tried out a lot of new games that I wouldn't have normally tried. I went on a beat em up binge for a little. Ninja Warriors, Knights of the Round, Final Fight 3, Batman Returns, etc. All excellent games that I normally wouldn't have picked up. The Bombermans, I found this sweet auction on eBay. I got all 5 plus the Bomberman multitap, all for a good price.

I've slimmed down my collection a little since my tax return binge. I said I sold Earthbound, but I think that was the only high ticket item I parted with. I traded my mint CIB copy of Breath of Fire that I got from Hobie. I actually felt like it was too nice for me, and I wasn't super crazy about the game (played through it once), I wanted some one to own it that would appreciate the condition it was in. I store my games cart only, any boxes I have are kept elsewhere. I had a Super Scope and about half a dozen supported games. I knew I wouldn't ever keep the Super Scope, but I really wanted to try it out at least once. I might have parted with some other minor things.

I could talk about the SNES all day, so I'll just cut myself off here. :lol:
Last edited by Ziggy on Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

Ziggy587 wrote:Luke, don't be lazy, list your games!

I can take pictures, but call me lazy.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

^ Fine, pictures will do.

I just like looking at other people's SNES collections, especially when they're larger.

For any one that has read any SNES related tech threads, you've probably heard me bitch about my AV dilemmas with the SNES over the past year. I have the man cave in the basement with the CRT, but I like to keep a SNES upstairs with my HDTV too (so I can play in which ever room I feel like being in). I had a 720p HDTV for years, and I was perfectly happy with how the SNES looked on it with S-Video. Last December, that all changed when I got a 1080p. No S-Video input. I went through a bunch of different phases with it. I have a 1chip PAL SNES that I modified to be NTSC and output RGB and S/PDIF, but I found out that the older SNESes I have look MUCH better on my HDTV. So I'm mad that I wasted the time adding those AV outputs to the PAL SNES, and I'm mad that I have to do those mods over again on a different SNES.

That being said, I haven't done much SNES gaming in 2013. I told myself I didn't wanna play SNES until I got it perfect. When I got my new HDTV, I also got a new AV receiver. This is the first time I've ever been able to use digital audio, and dammit, I wanna take advantage of that. I don't wanna play SNES until I can modify one of my older ones to output RGB (so I can convert it to component via an external unit) and add the S/PDIF digital audio output to it. Once I do, I plan to replay some of my favorite games. I really felt like playing the DKC trilogy and LttP over the past year, but I put off the urge.

So... THAT'S how my SNES gaming has been going. I guess you could say not that good.
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Similar to the Saturn thread, my SNES collection is small but quality, but rarely gets added to due to the higher price of collecting for the system than others I own.

For example, I can expect to pay £30-40 for Super Metroid or Zelda, and £15-20 or so for DKC2, Kirby's Fun Pak and Yoshi's Island - all of which are games I want, but have played on other formats, so right now they're not the highest priority for me compared to similarly priced (or cheaper), less available games on other systems.

Here's the list of SNES games I own:

Cybernator
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 3
FIFA 95
Starwing (aka Starfox)
Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Striker
Super Aleste (aka Space MegaForce)
Super Ghouls n' Ghosts
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario World
Super Punch-Out!!
Super SWIV (aka Firepower 2000)
Super Tennis
Tiny Toons: Buster Busts Loose
Unirally (aka Uniracers)

I'm not really a fan of football games, but no one wants either of the football games I own so I'm kinda stuck with them. I think otherwise I have a pretty decent selection, covering some of the classics and some of the hidden gems for the system. You'll note a lack of RPGs - thats because RPG developers hated Europe back in the day and most of them didn't make it here. The few that did (sch as Secret of Mana, Terranigma and Illusion of Time) are pretty damn pricy.

I used to have a few other SNES games too, but I sold them because I wasn't a fan of any of them. They included Prince of Persia, Flashback, Super Morph, Pit Fighter and Mortal Kombat.

Honestly, I rarely see SNES games out and about here, only really on eBay. Almost every time I've seen games from the early 90s, they've been on a Sega console, which seems to have been more popular here in the UK.