Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
TheRev
128-bit

Re: We've done Mega Man so Which Flavor of Castlevania?

by TheRev Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:46 am

o.pwuaioc wrote:http://racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30591&hilit=castlevania
http://racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... astlevania

Ah well disptie my large post count I am still new here.

Ok Carry on...while I think of another series.
TheGrimAngel
16-bit

by TheGrimAngel Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:17 pm

TheRev wrote:
o.pwuaioc wrote:http://racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30591&hilit=castlevania
http://racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... astlevania

Ah well disptie my large post count I am still new here.

Ok Carry on...while I think of another series.

Has there been one of these on Mario or Zelda?
Hazerd
Next-Gen

by Hazerd Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:05 pm

Lords of Shadows 2! im pretty excited, sick of the Metroidvania style and would love to see a linear stage to stage one again.

Also a Lords of Shadows on the 3DS, good times!
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:22 pm

Hazerd wrote:Lords of Shadows 2! im pretty excited, sick of the Metroidvania style and would love to see a linear stage to stage one again.

Also a Lords of Shadows on the 3DS, good times!

This. LoS2 is gonna be off the hizzy. Also Mirror of Fate looks amazing.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
BurningDoom
Next-Gen

by BurningDoom Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:31 pm

I like the Metroidvania style a lot more because I love the added RPG-elements and the emphasis on exploration. But that's not to say I don't like the classic Castlevania style.
Game Trade/Want List:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28206

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Super GB, N64, Gamecube, GB Player, Wii, Sega Power Base Converter, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, TurboGrafx-16, PlayStation, PS2 Slim, XBox, XBox 360, Game Boy, GBC, GBA-SP, DS, Game Gear, GG Master Converter
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:49 pm

I liked Lords of Shadows in the sense that it was a good game, and probably the best 3D game of the series. It just dissapointed me that it was so good mostly because they were copying everything that was really succesful at the time. There's very little about that game that is unique, though it does have some cool level design as others have pointed out to me. I've said before that with Lords of Shadow it feels like Castlevania is having an identity crisis. What really makes Castlevania Castlevania now in the land of 3d games? Lords of Shadow was basically God of War, plus Shadow of Colossus, plus Tomb Raider style platforming(which itself, is sort of a ripoff of Prince of Persia Sands of Time). It's fine to see who's dominating in the gaming industry and learn from them, but you have to find what makes you unique to stand out, and Castlevania hasn't really done that. Hopefully, they will with LOS2. What's really shocking is playing the Darksiders series, another supernatural themed series and seeing it basically follow the same copy cat formula as Castlevania. Darksiders 2 in particular is probably the most blatant, soulless, ripoff game I've ever played. It doesn't have an original bone in its body.

As for old school Castlevania, my thoughts on the series is very much like my thoughts on Mega Man. I'm a bigger fan of the MMX series than the classic series, and I'm a bigger fan of Symphony of the Night style Castlevania than the old linear style. It's something of a theme with me, I like innovation and Symphony rewrote the book on Castlevania games. I think it perfectly took everything that worked with the old style, and expanded greatly on it, much like Mega Man X did with the classic Mega Man series. On the negative side, I don't feel like subsequent games did enough to evolve what Symphony of the Night started, but I still have enjoyed the ones I've played(Order of Ecclesia and Portrait of Ruin). What really makes me appreciate Symphony of the Night, and that style, is how it has influnced other titles. Just off the top of my head I can name Dust: An Elysian Tail and Shantae: Risky's Revenge as two games that are clearly inspired by it. Probably Cave Story too, and Shadow Complex. Incidentally, Dust: An Elysian Tail was one of my favorite games of 2012 and is actually better, in some ways at least, than recent Symphony of the Night inspired Castlevania games. The combat certainly is more exciting, though I wish Dust could have found ways to expand on it more as the game went on.

Course, I'd expose myself as some newbie gamer who doesn't know his shit if I give props to Symphony of the Night without a tip of the hat to Metroid as well. Symphony of the Night was like a great wedding between Samus and Belmont :lol:
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
ZeoDefender
24-bit

Re: Castlevania Appreciation Thread

by ZeoDefender Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:39 pm

Symphony of the Night was a decent game, but other than that I really do hate the whole Metroidvania style. I'm sure everyone here has already seen Egoraptor's Sequelitis series, so I'll say that his views reflect my own thoughts almost 100%. But hey, if you want my thoughts, keep reading.

Ooh, let's run through identical looking hallways fighting enemies that provide no challenge until we kill a boss that provides no challenge and get a new item. Now I get to backtrack through the same hallways with even less challenge than before (because I've leveled up a few times) to access an area that I coudn't reach the first time. Repeat for about 10-20 hours. So not my idea of a good time.

The original games, man, when you beat a challenging stage you really felt like you had accomplished something. The levels, due to their completely linearly nature, were better designed and had more interesting enemy placement. There was no grinding, no OCD RPG elements, and no time-wasting backtracking. It's just you, your whip, a powerup or two, and endless hordes of monsters waiting to rip you limb from limb. It was awesome. I loved it.
graffix_13
64-bit

by graffix_13 Thu May 23, 2013 8:50 am

LOVE the Castlevania series! Probably one of, if not my absolute favorite, series of all time.

Like others, Symphony of Night is my favorite of the series (and my #2 favorite game of all time) but I really love all the games. Lords of Shadow had one of the best endings in any video game I've played. I wish they could have kept the continuity of the prior Castlevanias, but I understand that it was getting pretty convoluted and a reboot was necessary.

Currently playing Super Castlevania IV on my SupaBoy and it's a great game! I haven't played it since the early 90's and it still holds up pretty well. It didn't take long until I was reminded how brutal and unforgiving the Castlevania games were back in the day.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Thu May 23, 2013 8:40 pm

So I didn't know where else to post this, I guess this is as good as any where...

I've played the first Castlevania so many times, I like to think I know that game inside and out. I've noticed a couple things that I think are pretty neat.

Glitch: If you walk through a door while invincible the game will freeze.

I found this out years ago and submitted it to GameWinners. Enemies will randomly drop a random item. I guess I've played the game enough times to get an enemy to drop an invincibility potion just before going through a door. Yup, that'll lock the game right up.

I found out something neat while playing the game last night, an easy way to collect the hidden treasure in the first room of level 2. For those that don't know, after you climb the first set of stairs in the level the wall breaks on the right side. Step into the area to get a hidden treasure to appear. Normally, you have to climb down the stairs to collect it which means you have to climb all the way back up. Time consuming. I found out that if you make the treasure appear and climb the upper stairs progressing to the next part of the level, you will still collect the treasure. I guess because the top of the stairs lines up perfectly (vertically) with the treasure down below, and as the screen changes Simon passes through the treasure. Of course, to make it in time, you'll wanna clear out the enemies first. As soon as you get to the top of the stairs, as the screen changes to the next room you'll hear the sound of picking up money. I checked, you gain the points from it. I guess you can call it a sort of glitch. I love this little glitch, and I'll be doing it on every play through from now on.

The only thing is, I don't know if that'll happen on every version of the game. IIRC, I was playing the FC cart version, I'll have to make a note if it works on the NES version next time I play it. I assume it would work on all versions.

Another stupid thing I found out, which isn't really anything amazing. Once you collect the Magic Crystal at the end of the level (hey, that's what the NES manual calls it!) Simon freezes in place but you can still jump and whip until the music finishes. In the NES and FDS versions of the game, if you hold down A and B it'll act as turbo buttons. Simon will keep jumping and whipping until he finally freezes in place. I like to try and get him stuck whipping in the air. In the Famicom cart version of the game there are no longer "turbo" buttons, although you can still jump and whip if you keep pressing the buttons. When I play this version, since I can't hold down A and B I like to jump and throw a holy water just as I land on the Magic Crystal so the bottle gets stuck in the air.

OK, so that last one might be a little lame, I guess I'm just a huge nerd for the first Castlevania. But I think the invincibility door glitch and money bag trick are cool little finds. :D

My Sale Thread - I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!
Return to Platformers