Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
DSKrek
8-bit

Super Retro Trio and Super Retro Adapter

by DSKrek Thu May 02, 2013 12:53 pm

I guess this was bound to happen, Hyperkin's rival, Innex, Inc., is releasing what seems to me to be a Retron 3 clone called the Super Retro Trio. While they seem a step behind the Retron 5, this console clone may be better than the others (pure speculation). They're also releasing a device called the Super Retro Adapter that lets you play GBA games, again, not as convenient as the Retron 5.

Here's a link to the sell sheet and pictures for both the Retro Trio and Retro Adapter:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/j8ke8t3w6gs1qk6/T0dL15sLgU/MEDIA/E3%202013/E3_2013_RETROBIT_SR3%2CSRA%28lowres%29.pdf

Here's the press release I received:

"POMONA, CALIFORNIA (APRIL, 2013) - Innex, Inc., one of the fastest growing international distributors of video game accessories, has announced the upcoming launch of its Super Retro Console and Adapter by Retro-bit® that allows you to play old-school games for NES, SNES, GENESIS and GBA without having to be physically transported back to the 20th century.

Manufactured by Retro-bit, the Super Retro Consoles are distributed exclusively by Innex and will debut at this year's Electronic Entertainment Expo in Los Angeles, June 11th - June 13th.

"Old-school is new-school when it comes to playing nostalgia games," states Innex President, Titi Ngoy. "Our exclusive line of Retro-bit® game consoles are awesome for any gamer, no matter what their age. There is a huge appetite for original 8-bit and 16-bit action and we anticipate an enthusiastic demand for this exciting line up."

Product Highlights:

Super Retro Trio - Play classic NES, SNES and GENESIS games directly from the original cartridges onto the SR3. The modern design of this 3-in-1 home system allows for less clutter and more gaming. It's equipped with 3 cartridge slots, 6 controller ports compatible with original or third party controllers, two 16-bit game controllers, an S-video connection, an AC adapter and an AV cable. SRP $69.99

Super Retro Adapter - Play original GBA game cartridges directly on the SNES or any third party 16-bit console. The Super Retro Adapter comes equipped with a GBA link cable port (link cable sold separately) for connecting of up to 3 Gameboy systems which allows you to play 4-way gaming. SRP $39.99

Super Retro Bundle - Combines both the Super Retro Trio with the Super Retro Adapter into one awesome bundle of retro fun. SRP: $89.99

Innex will be showcasing the Super Retro Trio and Super Retro Adapter during the 2013 Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) at the Los Angeles Convention Center on June 11th - 13th at Booth #5636 West Hall.

About Innex, Inc.

In 2004, Innex was founded on the principles of innovation, fun, and a commitment to customer service. While initially established as a distributor of videogame peripherals, Innex has grown to include videogame-related toys, gifts, and mobile and audio accessories. With just under a decade of operation, Innex has become an award-winning leader in global distribution, providing its business partners with various services which include, but are not limited to, manufacturing, sourcing, marketing, and design. Facilities in North America and Asia ensure that Innex has the logistical and shipping expertise to deliver its products and services on time and under budget.

For a complete listing of Innex services and recent press releases, please visit http://www.innexinc.com"

It looks like the console wars isn't just for the big three anymore.
Retrodude
128-bit

Re: Super Retro Trio and Super Retro Adapter

by Retrodude Fri May 03, 2013 10:09 am

If the Super Retro Adapter can also play GB/GBC games, consider me sold.
I'm not a glitch, I just have pixlexia.

Raiiban wrote:That's a moral dilemma. Capitalism has no morals.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Fri May 03, 2013 10:13 am

While the Retro Trio does not interest me, since it only has Svideo out. This part is super interesting to me:
Super Retro Adapter - Play original GBA game cartridges directly on the SNES or any third party 16-bit console.

Note that it says on GBA games on the SNES. Now thats something thats worth it for me to pick up just for the novelty of it. Then I could play GBA versions of SNES games on the SNES... FFV here we come!
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Fri May 03, 2013 10:30 am

fastbilly1 wrote:While the Retro Trio does not interest me, since it only has Svideo out. This part is super interesting to me:
Super Retro Adapter - Play original GBA game cartridges directly on the SNES or any third party 16-bit console.

Note that it says on GBA games on the SNES. Now thats something thats worth it for me to pick up just for the novelty of it. Then I could play GBA versions of SNES games on the SNES... FFV here we come!

It'll probably be like that genesis adapter that has its own video out and pretty much only uses the SNES for power.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Fri May 03, 2013 10:32 am

AppleQueso wrote:It'll probably be like that genesis adapter that has its own video out and pretty much only uses the SNES for power.

Dont rain on my parade man.

On a serious note, the mockup actually looks pretty slick:
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Fri May 03, 2013 10:35 am

fastbilly1 wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:It'll probably be like that genesis adapter that has its own video out and pretty much only uses the SNES for power.

Just sayin' man. Nothing this company has produced has ever been high quality, I wouldn't expect any different from this.
BitFaced
64-bit

by BitFaced Sat May 04, 2013 12:56 pm

Retrodude wrote:If the Super Retro Adapter can also play GB/GBC games, consider me sold.

Me two. We need something to play GBC/GBA games on a SNES or N64 (through Tri-Star 64). And having the EXT. port on it as well is just an added bonus, considering it's a clone and all.
Also, it looks like when this and the Retro N 5 will be released, the GBA will officially be considered retro.
irixith
Next-Gen

by irixith Sat May 04, 2013 12:59 pm

AppleQueso wrote:
fastbilly1 wrote:

Just sayin' man. Nothing this company has produced has ever been high quality, I wouldn't expect any different from this.

+10

Can't believe people keep getting their hopes up for this dreck. Renders look cool, specs are way over promised. Always ends in disappointment. I see GameCubes with the Game Boy Player attached all the time in the sub $30 (Canadian!) range. Surely that's a far better and even cheaper alternative to these ridiculous clone things.

Hell, I'd dump $60 on a used Wii in a heartbeat and just emulate them -- the experience would still be better.
BitFaced
64-bit

by BitFaced Sat May 04, 2013 1:16 pm

irixith wrote:+10

Can't believe people keep getting their hopes up for this dreck. Renders look cool, specs are way over promised. Always ends in disappointment. I see GameCubes with the Game Boy Player attached all the time in the sub $30 (Canadian!) range. Surely that's a far better and even cheaper alternative to these ridiculous clone things.

Hell, I'd dump $60 on a used Wii in a heartbeat and just emulate them -- the experience would still be better.

Personally because we'd finally get a GBC player for the SNES (or GBC & GBA player for the N64) that we never had. It's like a WideBoy-64 AGB, but also for SNES.
N64/NES/FC/SNES/SFC/GB (SGB)/GBC (Black)(SGB)/FDS/Satellaview/Genesis/Mega Drive/Master System & maybe N64DD/GBC/GBA.
Purkeynator
64-bit

by Purkeynator Sun May 05, 2013 10:11 pm

I wish we would get an adapter like this to play Sega Game Gear games on the big screen.
Return to Old-School Gaming News