PS2 Softmod Questions(Urgent,need to while I have free time)

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

PS2 Softmod Questions(Urgent,need to while I have free time)

Post by SamuraiMegas »

I want to soft mod my PS2 due to how easy it looks, and I can't brick my PS2 it seems.
What do you reccomend?
It's a Fat model, dunno model #.
Last edited by SamuraiMegas on Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Re: Is PS2 Soft-Modding really easy?

Post by SamuraiMegas »

My BST Thread
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Re: Is PS2 Soft-Modding really easy?

Post by SamuraiMegas »

Or this
http://bootleg.sksapps.com/tutorials/fmcb/noobie.php
I want to know this is a good website and I want to know how to add applications.

My BST Thread
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Re: PS2 Softmod Questions(Urgent,need to while I have free t

Post by SamuraiMegas »

Guys?

My BST Thread
flojocabron
Next-Gen

Post by flojocabron »

Don't know the whole details since another dude did it for me.

But you need a codebreaker disc to put the files on your memory card.

You will need to get a card bigger than 8 mb.

The files change the software of the ps2, and removing the memory card changes it back to normal.

I have a modem and a hard drive hack. Which doesn't work with the really old first gen ps2. I forgot which model I had, but it was one of those. I had to buy another fatty.
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

The sksapps site is basically the go-to site for PS2 apps at this point I'm pretty sure.

As to how to do it yourself, as previously mentioned you'll need a Codebreaker or AR disc if you're starting from scratch. Alternatively, you can just mail a memory card to any of a host of people out there and they can do it for you, since once you have a FMCB card you can use it to make other ones, and it's ridiculously simple. No actual modding of any sort is done to the PS2, firmware or hardware. But it's good that you have a fat model - loading from the internal HD is far preferable to USB/Network loading (though I've heard a few people say network loading is okay. I've never used it myself)
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
theclaw
Next-Gen

Post by theclaw »

KalessinDB wrote:The sksapps site is basically the go-to site for PS2 apps at this point I'm pretty sure.

As to how to do it yourself, as previously mentioned you'll need a Codebreaker or AR disc if you're starting from scratch. Alternatively, you can just mail a memory card to any of a host of people out there and they can do it for you, since once you have a FMCB card you can use it to make other ones, and it's ridiculously simple. No actual modding of any sort is done to the PS2, firmware or hardware. But it's good that you have a fat model - loading from the internal HD is far preferable to USB/Network loading (though I've heard a few people say network loading is okay. I've never used it myself)

Yeah wonderful as they complement each other, neither a softmod or modchip changes the BIOS.

Your console will in effect remain its original internal region. Like no menu option for Japanese on a US system. Homebrew is needed to get around that.
Lum fan.
skate323k137
Next-Gen

Post by skate323k137 »

codebreaker method isn't too bad if you can get it to work, that's how I did my first one. If you can't, I'm more than happy to install freemcboot for free if you send me your memory card.
Need FreeMCboot? I'll install it on your PS2 Memory Card for free if you cover postage both ways.
Consoles: I have too much stuff
Arcade: No seriously, I have too much stuff. Someone grab a shovel and dig me out of my basement.