80s Hair Metal Bands - Retrospective

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Metal Jesus
128-bit

80s Hair Metal Bands - Retrospective

Post by Metal Jesus »

http://youtu.be/cfMr1n-uFh0
(YOUTUBE VIDEO)

80s Hair Metal, Glam Rock & Pop Metal bands sure used a lot of hair spray & played a lot of widdly widdly guitar! But that's why we loved it. My wife & I show you some of our favorite 80s Hair metal bands from our youth gone wild.

What are some of your favorite 80s Hair Metal Bands or albums?

indecks
Next-Gen

Re: 80s Hair Metal Bands - Retrospective

Post by indecks »

Joe Satriani is not hair metal.
Metal Jesus
128-bit

Post by Metal Jesus »

indecks wrote:Joe Satriani is not hair metal.

In high school, I considered his first three albums in the same vein as hair metal. His blues based song structure, guitar acrobatics and videos all looked the part.
indecks
Next-Gen

Post by indecks »

Except he wasn't.

He was instrumental hard rock. He's currently... well, shit but Not of this Earth, Surfing with the Alien, Dreaming 11's one studio song and Flying in a Blue Dream are all instrumental rock, save for the songs that he sings on.

The Extremest leaned closer to the metal side with War, Motorcycle Driver and Summer Song, but they were still essentially hard rock. Not metal, and most definitely not hair metal/glam rock.
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

I love the chemistry between you and your wife. Totally perfect for each other.

The panty and boob showing insert of AFDestruciton was something all of my 4th grade friends wanted to get their hands on. That, and the uncensored Poison Open Up and Say Ahh! cover. Still not sure if that was only a publicity stunt to increase album sales.

Good stuff man, and I'll leave you with this:

Was Hair Metal more a fashion statement or a genre of music? I think the line is a bit blurry.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

Luke wrote:Was Hair Metal more a fashion statement or a genre of music? I think the line is a bit blurry.

Bit of both kinda.

The underground metal scene of the time hated it. You can find a lot of interesting stories about stuff like that.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Europe's "The Final Countdown" is the best hair metal album of all time. The first lyric of every song is:

"OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHH!"

which is sung "soft & sensitive" on tracks like "Carrie" and "tough & awesome" on tracks like "Cherokee". The lyrics to songs like "Ninja" and "The Final Countdown" are so fantastically cheesy that they are anything but parody. (Honestly, I could not write funnier lyrics...and Europe wasn't even trying!) Moreover, it is basically the soundtrack to the criminally under-rated film "Hot Rod" and is just a tremendously fun album. It is very, very highly recommended.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

indecks wrote:Except he wasn't.

He was instrumental hard rock. He's currently... well, shit but Not of this Earth, Surfing with the Alien, Dreaming 11's one studio song and Flying in a Blue Dream are all instrumental rock, save for the songs that he sings on.

The Extremest leaned closer to the metal side with War, Motorcycle Driver and Summer Song, but they were still essentially hard rock. Not metal, and most definitely not hair metal/glam rock.

Most hair metal/glam rock wasn't really metal to begin with either. Lumping Joe Satriani into that group seems a little odd to me too, but eh, not gonna fuss about it.
Menegrothx
Next-Gen

Post by Menegrothx »

AppleQueso wrote:
Luke wrote:Was Hair Metal more a fashion statement or a genre of music? I think the line is a bit blurry.

Bit of both kinda.

The underground metal scene of the time hated it. You can find a lot of interesting stories about stuff like that.

I think there was a fair bit of talking about beating up hair metal guys in the thrash metal part of the "metal evolution" documentary series. As far as I know there was a similiar thing going on about 10 years before that in England between punk and heavy metal fans, many metal musicians despised punk and the whole punk culture. Naturally punk and hair metal were hated for very different reasons.
My WTB thread (Sega CD/Saturn games)
Also looking to buy: Ys III (TG-16 CD), Shadowrun (Genesis) Hori N64 mini pad and Slayer (3DO) in long box/just the long box
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

Menegrothx wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:

Bit of both kinda.

I think there was a fair bit of talking about beating up hair metal guys in the thrash metal part of the "metal evolution" documentary series. As far as I know there was a similiar thing going on about 10 years before that in England between punk and heavy metal fans, many metal musicians despised punk and the whole punk culture. Naturally punk and hair metal were hated for very different reasons.

Lots of songs about it too, and it wasn't just limited to angry thrash bands singing about "killing posers" and whatnot. Fates Warning - Valley of the Dolls is pretty critical of the whole hair metal thing for example, and there's Manowar's popularizing of phrases like "Leave the Hall!" (well that came a bit later but still). Basically they all thought the whole hair metal thing was too flamboyant, too poppy, too watered down, too "fake", etc.

The punk/metal rivalry died down a lot when Motorhead hit the scene and kinda bridged the gap. Punk and Metal have flirted a LOT over the years, it's the whole reason we have the various extreme metal and punk genres now.
Last edited by AppleQueso on Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.