The best of the best of the masterpieces of awesome

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
irixith
Next-Gen

Re: The best of the best of the masterpieces of awesome

Post by irixith »

Best of the best of the masterpieces of awesome? Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. Two absolute masterpieces of gaming that have never been bested, and likely never will be.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

brunoafh wrote:
Gamerforlife wrote:Not in my world. I would love to live in the same alternate reality that you do :wink:

I honestly cannot think of 100 games that I would call polished and refined to perfection

Opinions. Personally, I found Resident Evil 4 to be severely flawed in design. But you loved it and found it to be the perfect game. Which is fine, but doesn't mean much of anything other than that.

Trying to make "lists" like these is an effort of futility and all of them are 100% subjective. Making them for fun is all good but pushing them off as factual or anything of the sort is silly.

Yeah, I don't want to derail the thread by talking about the flaws in pretty much every game that's been mentioned so far but no games are perfect and everyone's masterpiece is someone else's garbage.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

To me, it mostly comes down to game design, and if I'm being perfectly honest, I don't think game design is debatable. A game is either well designed, or it isn't. That can be proven, like any fact can. For example, if something says a boss fight is poorly designed and points out the frustration he had with it, then someone else shows him that he was fighting the boss the wrong way, then the boss fight is not poorly designed, the player just was not playing the game properly. There are so many times people have told me a game is poorly designed, only for me to show them all the things they were doing wrong. Thus proving that the game was NOT poorly designed. They were, in fact, delivering a WRONG opinion(yes those do exist)based on their own failings as a player
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

I agree about good and bad game design, but "perfect" game design is another thing entirely. Some element of that game design whether it be sound, control or artwork is going to be a matter of taste and opinion.

I could rant about the failings of a lot of the games mentioned here even if I still think they're good games.
irixith
Next-Gen

Post by irixith »

Gunstar Green wrote:I could rant about the failings of a lot of the games mentioned here even if I still think they're good games.

Some games are masterpieces in spite of their so-called flaws. Best of the best and/or masterpiece don't imply that they're perfect. I think everyone would have quite a bit of trouble arguing for a "perfect" game -- there's really no such thing.