Pictures of old video game ads, stores, displays, etc.

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
PigInTheMud
16-bit

Pictures of old video game ads, stores, displays, etc.

Post by PigInTheMud »

I've been looking for photos and videos of video game stores between the 80s and 2000s. I can't seem to find much. I just want to see how everything was set up during the old console wars. Does anybody have anything that they can provide?
Last edited by PigInTheMud on Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

Re: Pictures of video game in-store displays?

Post by Cronozilla »

What do you mean? Nothing has really changed in the way video game stores are laid out. Even the signs and ads are roughly the same. Just the systems are different.
elmagicochrisg
Next-Gen

Post by elmagicochrisg »

Cronozilla wrote:What do you mean? Nothing has really changed in the way video game stores are laid out. Even the signs and ads are roughly the same. Just the systems are different.

I think he just wants a trip down memory lane... ^^

Dreamcast DUX Limited Edition for sale (new, odorless and sealed)

All forum members are equal. But some are more equal than others. - George Orwell
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

Post by Cronozilla »

Hmm, well, this might be the closest type stuff you'll get http://www.platypuscomix.net/fpo/newspa ... ysrus1.JPG

People just didn't have access to cameras as easily as now. I don't personally have any kiosk or display junk from then. I think most stores had to throw it out and even give evidence of destruction.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Just search "System" Store Display in Google Images.

Colecovision Store Display - http://www.google.com/search?client=saf ... a=N&tab=wi

If you find a nice pic, maybe post it in this thread?

CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Post by BoringSupreez »

Cronozilla wrote:Hmm, well, this might be the closest type stuff you'll get http://www.platypuscomix.net/fpo/newspa ... ysrus1.JPG

That's certainly the easiest way to look at that sort of thing. I have a Target flyer from a Sunday paper that my parents got in December 1998, and it's cool to see all the PS1 and N64 games being sold for $50.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

In my search of Kiosks, I came across this. Never heard of it, an Atari 5200 Starcon Controller. Thats a 2600 Amiga Joyboard to the right. Evidently only 35 were sold making this a rare controller. I already have the 5200 WICO sticks, Keypad and a 2600 interface Masterplay, yet another unusual gaming accessory to hunt for. :D

CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Cronozilla wrote:I think most stores had to throw it out and even give evidence of destruction.

This is true. But very poorly enforced.

I have several displays from the Gamecube that I kept - The best of which is the stack of 3 3ft cubes with game screenshots on the sides. I always wanted the old Zelda ones, but they go for way too much. In the early 2000s I worked for a Software ETC and then division for Gamestop. I ended up opening a dozen stores, several of which got two or three sets of displays shipped to them, so the extras I made "disappear." Some of them, like all popular superheros, were given away to a place I use to volunteer at for the kids in the building - the Hulk game may have been terrible but that 5ft Hulk popup was awesome to those kids. The ones I did keep I sold over the last two years for alot more than I thought they were worth - Pokemon Crystal for $300, Megaman Battlenetwork for $100, and Star Wars Galaxies for $50.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

That Colecovision display! :shock: YES!
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
PigInTheMud
16-bit

Post by PigInTheMud »

Thanks guys! this is all the kind of stuff that I want to see and hear about. And yeah, the main reason I want to see pictures of stores like software etc., eb games, mediaplay, et cetera is because it is really nostalgic and I just love seeing all the old stuff lined up in new condition. Ads are also really cool to see.