SNES analog audio upgrade

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
Drakon
64-bit

SNES analog audio upgrade

Post by Drakon »

Here's something I tried for fun. I did the snes digital audio mod on my snes jr. Then I connected the digital audio into one of these cheap ebay spdif to analog audio adapters:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Optical-Coaxial-Coax-S-PDIF-TOSLINK-to-Analog-RCA-R-L-Audio-Converter-US-/300747876832?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item4605f869e0

Here's the video comparing the default system audio to the audio coming out of the system I just modded. Both of these recordings are analog so there's no need to have a digital audio system to experience this setup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KbD6x1IP2s

I much prefer the audio from the digital signal converted with a cheap modern digital to analog converter.

And for the sake of hilarity here's a picture of my snes jr in its current state:

The breadboard in the back is a cxa2075 video encoder circuit wired with the outputs going to the multi av port at the back. The breadboard in the front is the digital audio mod chip. The rca cable is what's connecting the digital audio output to the external digital audio to analog audio converter. I'm going to TRY to get everything to fit under the hood including the digital to analog converter. I'm not sure if the console will have enough amps to power the digital to analog converter but I guess I'll find out.
http://16bitgamer.forumotion.ca/

Older games are better
Jamisonia
128-bit

Re: SNES analog audio upgrade

Post by Jamisonia »

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=32570

I did it awhile ago. It does make a big difference. The DAC in the SNES sucks. I've also done it to my Saturn and plan to do it to my DC. Why would you take the digital stream and put it through a cheap ass eBay DAC, and not at least directly to your receiver?

What would really be something is if you could do it to the N64. The problem there is that the N64 does not output standard sample rates, so you'd have to put your own clock on it. If I knew more about Digital Audio I would do it.

This reminds me of a caveat about the SNES. The SNES outputs a 31.5 khz signal. The standards are 32 khz, 44.1 khz, 48 khz, 92 khz, and 192 khz. Because the SNES signal isn't perfectly 32 khz, it may not work with all DACs. I haven't run into one yet, but I've heard tale of DACs that it won't work with.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

He either doesn't have a receiver, or has an old one like mine. :lol:

So a cheap ass no-name DAC on eBay is potentially better quality than the one in the SNES. Interesting. That's makes me want to experience the digital audio mod on the SNES even more. But alas, I need a new receiver first.
Jamisonia
128-bit

Post by Jamisonia »

Well just keep in mind the other advice I gave you. It may not work with all DACs if its damn picky about a 32 khz signal. However it seems the picky ones are in the minority.
Drakon
64-bit

Post by Drakon »

Ziggy587 wrote:He either doesn't have a receiver, or has an old one like mine. :lol:

So a cheap ass no-name DAC on eBay is potentially better quality than the one in the SNES. Interesting. That's makes me want to experience the digital audio mod on the SNES even more. But alas, I need a new receiver first.

Yes I don't have a receiver with spdif my amp is a 1979 pioneer stereo amplifier. What inspired me to do this is a friend found a way to record his digital audio. He sent me demos showing how improved the digital audio recording was over the default audio. I could hear the quality difference on my analog setup from the recordings on my computer. This got me thinking that maybe converting the digital audio into analog would sound better, which it does.

The good news is I've internalized the digital to analog device on the console (I had to use a stronger power supply that outputs 1.2 amps but it works great). I can wire up on the back a digital rca jack, a stereo headphone jack, and even the built in multi av port original stereo sound still works fine if you feel like using that.
http://16bitgamer.forumotion.ca/

Older games are better
Simonrayner-uk
8-bit

Post by Simonrayner-uk »

Sounds interesting but I'm not great with this kind of thing - would anyone be interested in modding mine - will pay of course for your time -

& does anyone know anyone who does decent custom paint jobs ??
Jamisonia
128-bit

Post by Jamisonia »

Simonrayner-uk wrote:Sounds interesting but I'm not great with this kind of thing - would anyone be interested in modding mine - will pay of course for your time -

& does anyone know anyone who does decent custom paint jobs ??

This isn't cheap a mod to do, and is only a marginal improvement and may not work with all receivers.
Simonrayner-uk
8-bit

Post by Simonrayner-uk »

Ok - thanks for taking the time to reply & thanks for the heads up :0)
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

Post by Cronozilla »

If you want better audio quality without so much headache, you might want to look into better shielding for the SNES cables. Even putting a magnet on would likely clear up any distortion you might hear currently.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

First party cables aren't shielded well?