How do I get this smoke smell out of my Gamecube games?!

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
deckstein12321

How do I get this smoke smell out of my Gamecube games?!

Post by deckstein12321 »

Hey guy, I recently bought Eternal Darkness, Geist, and Beyond Good and Evil and they all smell like cigarette smoke. Is there any way to get rid of this?
Ziggy

Re: How do I get this smoke smell out of my Gamecube games?!

Post by Ziggy »

Charcoal and baking soda both work really well for absorbing odors. So maybe get a container of some kind, like a tote with a lid, to put everything in. Throw in the charcoal and/or baking soda. If using charcoal, I would cover the bottom of a tote with one layer of coal then maybe put down a screen of some sort so the game doesn't make contact with it. If using only baking soda, you probably don't have to put it in loose. You can just cut the top of the box off (people use to put a box of baking soda in their fridge like this to absorb odors). But, perhaps the baking soda would absorb the odor faster if it's spread out. So if using both, just spread the baking soda out evenly over the charcoal.

As for putting the game in, it would probably be best if everything was spread out. So take the cover insert out of the sleeve, and take the manual out. Try to position the case so the sleeve is separated from the black plastic (maybe put a half of pencil or popsicle stick between the sleeve and the spine so the sleeve stays separated). As for the manual, if there is one, it'd probably be best if the pages were separated, as best as possible. Don't put the disc in there with everything. It's just not worth it. I don't see the disc itself smelling. It's probably mostly the paper that has the smoke smell, but perhaps the plastic case does too.

Anyways, throw everything in a tote as best you can and put a lid on it. Leave it for at least a week. Give the items a check after a week. Give the items a check. If you're not satisfied, put them back in for another week.

I've never tried to pull odors out of a small item like a game manual, but I have used charcoal and baking soda in the past to successfully remove odors from rooms and the inside of cars. My thinking is that the charcoal and baking soda in a closed container should work well. After all, people use to put a box of baking soda in the fridge (no one seems to do this anymore) so I don't see why it shouldn't work here.

Unless some one has a better idea...
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

In my experience you can't get rid of cigarette odor, but you can replace it with a new odor.

I haven't tried this myself, but Click and Clack over at Car Talk say coffee grounds over time can engulf any smokey stench, even of the Cheech y Chong kind. I'd suggest putting the cases in a Trapper Keeper (I'm showing my age here) or some type of zip lock bag with a few TBSP's of ground coffee and let it rest.

^But listen to the forum members as this is just a suggestion.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

start smoking dude. You won't even notice the smell on the games.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

Luke wrote:In my experience you can't get rid of cigarette odor, but you can replace it with a new odor.

Not true. I bought a used copy of Soul Coughing - Ruby Vroom (I suppose that's appropriate) that absolutely reeked of stale smoke. After about a year of sitting on the shelf normally and being opened for play every now and then the smell mostly went away. After a few years I couldn't smell anything anymore.
irixith
Next-Gen

Post by irixith »

noiseredux wrote:start smoking dude. You won't even notice the smell on the games.

:lol:
chupon
Next-Gen

Post by chupon »

Leave them outside for a few days - or in a covered unconditioned garage
Buy / Sell / Trade List: viewtopic.php?t=17958
Last updated: 11-10-16

PS3 ID: dakkenblackblade 360 ID: dakkenblackblad
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

Hobie-wan wrote:Soul Coughing

Fitting.
Betamax001
Next-Gen

Post by Betamax001 »

noiseredux wrote:start smoking dude. You won't even notice the smell on the games.

I was gonna say the same thing! :lol:
NES, SNES, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GCN, Wii, PS3, 360, GB, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, PSP 3000, and 3DS XL

PSN ID: SaturnXMKII
Steam ID: betamax001
Nintendork666
Next-Gen

Post by Nintendork666 »

I'll gladly take those smoke-smelling games off your hands if you can't get the stank out.

Shoot me a PM if interested.
AMD Ryzen™ 9 7900X // MSI GAMING X TRIO GeForce RTX 3090 Image