JRPG For PC

Level up here
rmontes

JRPG For PC

Post by rmontes »

hello, I need some help. I only have PC, I don't have any console and I would like to play some JRPG the problem is that in PC platform just a few games are available.

I find two games:

YS Series
Last remnant.

what is your opinion about these games?.
Any other recommendations?

thanks
isiolia
Next-Gen

Re: JRPG For PC

Post by isiolia »

Ys series is good. Last Remnant on the PC is the better version as it has performance issues on the 360.

There have been others over the years too. Offhand, there are western attempts at JRPG-ish games like Septerra Core and Anachronox. FFVII and FFVIII both had PC ports. FFVII was just recently made available in a fixed-to-run-on-modern-Windows direct download available in SE's online shop - it's also got boatloads of mods available.

You can also find thing like the Phantasy Star and Shining Force games in some of the various official Genesis collections around.

Or, rather than just scrounging around for what was officially brought to the platform in whatever language(s) you speak, turn to emulation.
rmontes

Post by rmontes »

I tried to emulate PS2 and wii games but my computer cant handle it, reach at best 40 fps.
Thank you for your answer
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

I think there are a bunch of lower budget JRPGs-style games on the PC, made on RPG maker.

You can probably handle PS1 emulation, or at least, SNES, and access plenty of JRPGs there.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

Ivo wrote:You can probably handle PS1 emulation, or at least, SNES, and access plenty of JRPGs there.

This, SNES and PS1 pretty much have all the best stuff anyway.
rmontes

Post by rmontes »

my PC is not that slow. Is a AMD 6000+ X2, two giga RAM and video card ATI 4550 HD 1gb.

I played in SNES Chrono trigger, final fantasy six, secret of mana, legend of zelda. In PS one final fantasy 7, xenogearts, Crhono Cross, the legend of mana, Musashi.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Ys I is a great game and fully playable in DOSBox. It can be obtained for free from many Abandonware websites. For example:

http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/860/A ... of+Ys.html

There is also a Steam version of Ys Origin.

Another DOS JRPG worth checking out is Zeliard. It was developed by Game Arts, the same folks responsible for the Lunar games:

http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/957/Zeliard.html

I highly recommend Falcom's Sorcerian as well:

http://www.abandonwaredos.com/abandonwa ... n&gid=NjUx

I believe The Last Remnant has somewhat beefy system requirements, so make sure your system can run it (mine can't, so I bought the 360 version).

Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy VIII, and Grandia II all have PC ports - but they may be tricky to run on modern systems (keep in mind they were released during the Windows 98/ME days).

As isiolia mentioned, there are several "JRPG-ish" games made by Western developers for the PC. Septerra Core and Anachronox are the two biggies. The former can still be found new (check Amazon) for about $5, try to get a newer version with Windows XP compatibility. Anachronox is a bit pricier.

There are also some quality (Western developed) RPG Maker games that imitate the Final Fantasy/Chrono Trigger aesthetic pretty well. Lots of these are free, some will cost $10+. I recommend the Aveyond series.

In all honesty though, you're much better off getting some emulators if you're looking to play JRPGs on the PC. Start with something like SNES9X (a SNES emulator), which is very user-friendly and should run on any modern day computer. Lots of classic console JRPGs were completely turn-based and thus fully playable with a keyboard - Breath of Fire I + II and The Seventh Saga come to mind. For action-JRPGs (Secret of Mana, etc) I would recommend getting an actual SNES controller along with a Super SmartJoy (USB converter).
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

rmontes wrote:my PC is not that slow. Is a AMD 6000+ X2, two giga RAM and video card ATI 4550 HD 1gb.

I played in SNES Chrono trigger, final fantasy six, secret of mana, legend of zelda. In PS one final fantasy 7, xenogearts, Crhono Cross, the legend of mana, Musashi.

That's fine, but what about the RPGs that weren't published by Square? :P
rmontes

Post by rmontes »

lol, I played other games such Panzer Dragoon Saga (Excelent!!), Princess Crown ( just a little it's only in Japanese), Grandia II, Quest 64 ( pretty bad and boring), when I was a child i ended Dragon quest for NES.

last night I found Zwei II Plus, it looks awesome, but I don't know if there is any translation patch.
Another suggestion??
rmontes

Post by rmontes »

BoneSnapDeez wrote: I would recommend getting an actual SNES controller along with a Super SmartJoy (USB converter).

I have a PS2 control USB converter. In my experience PC controls suck. So it's the better way.