Are There any current generation 2.5 D games?

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
dreamcast4ever83
128-bit

Are There any current generation 2.5 D games?

Post by dreamcast4ever83 »

Ok so I feel that 2.5 D game were not only fantastic but a very important part of gaming history. You may think this is an over statement but finish reading this first cause there are so many great titles that will stand the test of time that would have never been made.

I love them really. 2D Platformers have always been my favoret. Much more then 3d one's and I loved 2.5 D cause i felt like it was the best of both worlds. A classic 2D style that I love with a beautiful 3d twist which always excites me when I'. walking or flying and suddenly boom! It start's going into the screen like Clockwork night 2 I felt this game and pandemonium were perfect. And of couse nights into dreams the most 3d feeling 2.5 D game ever. Really could it be anymore perfect?

Not to mention The graphics were so much better in 2d during the 3d era of gaming that it played out even more perfectly cause you got a game that fell's 2D, looks 3d, but without clunky graphics. seriously! (although I love those to spyro)

Nights Would not have been as good in 2d or 3d it was truly a showcase for the 2.5D genra and made that genre relevant. cause this game could not have been done as good any other way.

So if anyone says 2.5 D suck i only got one word and That's Nights?

So are there any current gen 2.5 d games? If so are they worth it? wii, 360,ps3 or even last gen?
KDub
Next-Gen

Re: Are There any current generation 2.5 D games?

Post by KDub »

Those Sonic games you love to defend so much
lisalover1
Next-Gen

Post by lisalover1 »

LittleBigPlanet 1&2 are some pretty big titles that come to mind. Sure, switching planes of movement is a bit wonky, but they're probably the biggest 2.5D platformers of this generation.
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

New Super Mario Bros. (and NSMBWii), Donkey Kong Country Returns, both Wii Kirby games, Sonic Generations, Rocket Knight...

...honestly I think most of us could name more 2.5D platformers from this gen than we could 3D platformers.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

Most 2.5D games are seriously clunky and would've been better off just being in 2D (like many games of the PlayStation/Saturn era). Sure there were some good ones such as Nights and Klonoa.

dreamcast4ever83 wrote:Not to mention The graphics were so much better in 2d during the 3d era of gaming that it played out even more perfectly cause you got a game that fell's 2D, looks 3d, but without clunky graphics.

This doesn't make much sense to me, sure the gameplay was generally much better since they hadn't really figured out the whole movement in a 3D space thing, but the graphics were still extremely ugly 3D. You got a game that played in 2D and felt 2D, but looked ugly, although was also given the freedom to loop around itself and go "further into the screen".

I'll take 2D graphics and gameplay any day over 3D graphics with 2D gameplay.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

Shadow Complex is a great current gen 2.5D metroidvania game.

I've also heard that Outland is good.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
dreamcast4ever83
128-bit

KDub wrote:Those Sonic games you love to defend so much

Well who else is gonna do it? :D
dreamcast4ever83
128-bit

AppleQueso wrote:New Super Mario Bros. (and NSMBWii), Donkey Kong Country Returns, both Wii Kirby games, Sonic Generations, Rocket Knight...

...honestly I think most of us could name more 2.5D platformers from this gen than we could 3D platformers.

I played most of those but they did not feel like traditional 2.5D games to me
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

dreamcast4ever83 wrote:
I played most of those but they did not feel like traditional 2.5D games to me

....why? Also I don't understand why you brought back from the dead the previous thread, only to make a new thread for the same pretty much discussion :S
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
xan_racketBOY_fan
Next-Gen

Post by xan_racketBOY_fan »

Then what's your definition of 2.5D games, if none of the above felt like 'em?