network emulation?

Emu Talk Goes Here
nickfil
Next-Gen

network emulation?

Post by nickfil »

The virtua fighter 5 homebrew that racketboy posted got me thinking about emulation.
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/sega/200 ... binet.html

I know that in the arcade games like daytona usa would network together so you can sit and play with friends on multiple screens. When the game is emulated in mame osx does it have the capacity to do this too? Do other games network like this?

I'm thinking of seriously investing/building a custom mame cabinet. Curious if i should go two screens/computers. Seeing if there is good support out there for it. I tried to google for information, but didn't even really know what I should search for.

Am i completely mistaken about all of this? Is the cabinet just running VF5 twice?
Doctor Fugue
128-bit

Post by Doctor Fugue »

Just a word about the cabinet in the article, I believe it has both an Xbox 360 AND a PS3 in there...I can't remember exactly and I can't remember if the screens are hooked up to the same console. When I saw it in motion on a video, I could only see one screen but it was definitely playing the 360 version of VF5. So, it isn't emulating the Lindbergh, nor is it actually a Lindbergh board. Actually, just looking at his thread again, I think there is both consoles and a PC in there.

I would also be interested also to see if networking MAME machines works!
"Your vessel, your beginning. All that you knew...is gone." - The Guardian of Forever
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Any version of mame that supports Kalleria will be able to be played on two setups. However if you want to network like Daytona, only a handful of emulators allow that (luckily the model 2 emulator does support network connections).

As for if they work in OSX I do not know - kalleria should but I do not know about the other emulators.
nickfil
Next-Gen

Post by nickfil »

fastbilly1 wrote:Any version of mame that supports Kalleria will be able to be played on two setups. However if you want to network like Daytona, only a handful of emulators allow that (luckily the model 2 emulator does support network connections).

As for if they work in OSX I do not know - kalleria should but I do not know about the other emulators.

ok- the problems of osx aside, its cool to know it can be done. I think if i do end up setting up a rig I'll drop 2 pcs in there and unfortunately stay away from apple. They just arn't good for things like this.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

I hear that. I am slowly trying to amass my parts for one. I already have the chairs from a scud racer, they just need the speakers to be replaced, and have figured out how to get an arcade steering wheel to work (Opti-PAC). Now I am waiting for the steering wheels/pedals to come along at a decent price. Though building them into a podracer setup would be cool too.
nickfil
Next-Gen

Post by nickfil »

fastbilly1 wrote:I hear that. I am slowly trying to amass my parts for one. I already have the chairs from a scud racer, they just need the speakers to be replaced, and have figured out how to get an arcade steering wheel to work (Opti-PAC). Now I am waiting for the steering wheels/pedals to come along at a decent price. Though building them into a podracer setup would be cool too.

wow- you are going way bigger than i was thinking. Sounds like it is going to be a sweet set up though. Hopefully you are taking some pictures along the way fastbilly. (hint hint). I would love to hear if you hit any major problems involving the networking and how you fix them.

are you going to be running multiple games on that racing cabinet, or just one racer?

I think i'm going to be working on a much smaller scale. 2 screens. 2 pcs. 2 set of 4 player joysticks w/ single trackball. Basically i want to build something that has options. I don't want to end up with a cabinet that I'm putting time into that in a year I'm disappointed with. You know the old expression, go big or go home.

Maybe a racer cabinet would be fun to do after this one.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

I have helped build a lot of mame cabs in the past few years, mostly conversions but a few from scrap. The best advice I can give anyone is to take an hour and browse the forums at Build Your Own Arcade Controls (BYOAC). You can gain years of knowledge in moments there. I cannot recommend them enough.

I am slowly converting my Vs tentop, but the damn thing is so heavy I cannot get it into the workshop by myself. So work has kinda stagnated until I can get some help - this is what happens when family members start having babies... But when I start again I will keep yall in the loop. The racing cab is in the far future. In the closer future is to convert the chairs into lowriders and using them with normal controls for now. To be honest my console and pc gaming has kinda stopped recently so all projects related to them kinda slow down aswell.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

For Momocon, Fastbilly1?

All these little creations of yours are half of my reason for traveling from Michigan to Georgia :)