Where can I buy a flash cart for my Megadrive?

Emu Talk Goes Here
Pingfa
64-bit

Where can I buy a flash cart for my Megadrive?

Post by Pingfa »

For a reasonable price, of course. I've been wanting one since I found out about Singing Aura and King Colossus which were not released outside of Japan. Translations exist, but I'd much rather play them on my Mega drive than on an emulator.

That being said, if I did manage to get one (or two), how would I transfer the rom to the cartridge?
turbolegs
24-bit

Post by turbolegs »

This site is really good.

http://www.tototek.com/

Look under "our products - hardware"

They are a little expensive (in $), but im from the UK so i think the prices are reasonable.

You use a cable to flash the rom to the backup cart from your PC. I think the site sell the backup unit and cable together somewhere.

Hope this helps.
Pingfa
64-bit

Post by Pingfa »

Thanks, Turbolegs.

I'm just wondering about this note in the details:

"No power supply needed, use USB port to get power. *** You must sure your USB port output is 5V, If not, will damage the card"

How do I know if my USB output is 5V? I'm no expert. :-/ After all, I don't want to end up buying the card and then destroying it.

A little over £30 seems fairly reasonable, but the additional price of postage could make it a little too steep.

Thanks again for the help.
turbolegs
24-bit

Post by turbolegs »

No problem.

I honestly have no idea about usb voltage, i will say that i bought the SNES cart from those guys though and that works fine. It might be worth checking of that has a similar note.
Pingfa
64-bit

Post by Pingfa »

It has one such note about the Super Flash Programmer, but not the Super Flash Card - I would assume the two use the same, though.

I'll save the link for future reference anyhow - thanks again for the link. :wink:
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Post by Pulsar_t »

I was contemplating getting this, but ended up with Kega/Gen32S instead. you can also test your USB voltage by using a multimeter (you don't need to buy one though!). It's safe to say the USB 1.1/2.0 standard outputs consistent 500mA with voltages in the range of 4.5-5.5V which averages at 5V.
Pingfa
64-bit

Post by Pingfa »

Thanks for the help, Pulsar. I think that eliminates any further concerns, then.

I've yet to buy quite a few Megadrive/Genesis games to add to my collection, so, fortunately, I don't feel the need to get it immediately, even though I'm sure it's going to be awesome.