Actually playing on a Gameboy?

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
BurningDoom
Next-Gen

Re: Actually playing on a Gameboy?

Post by BurningDoom »

GBA-SP is the best way to go for being on the go, IMO. Great backlit screen protected by the flip-phone-like fold-able feature.

But a Gameboy Player for the Gamecube is the best way to play these games if you have a Gamecube, IMO. I love being able to play on a T.V. screen with a controller. The T.V. screen is the best screen to go with as well as the best sound, and an actual controller always feels more comfortable to me than any handheld. They're only $10 at GameStop.
Game Trade/Want List:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28206

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Super GB, N64, Gamecube, GB Player, Wii, Sega Power Base Converter, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, TurboGrafx-16, PlayStation, PS2 Slim, XBox, XBox 360, Game Boy, GBC, GBA-SP, DS, Game Gear, GG Master Converter
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

There's nothing like the original, but that's not always a good thing. For years I was only using the GBC (my original, and one of two things that I have from before 1999). Just last week I finally upgraded to the GBA SP thanks to a fellow RB member. For me, it's entirely worth it. It really hurt my neck trying to get the GBC in the right light while I was riding on the subway. I'm not really a purist, so my vote goes there. However, if you insisted on something original, I'd say get a GBC with something like this to go with it:

Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

Post by Valkyrie-Favor »

SNES Game Boy Player is the best way to go at home. If you're traveling I'd recommend Game Boy Light or GBASP.
Tsun tsun dere tsun dere tsun tsun~ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . UPDATED trade list
noiseredux wrote:Playing on your GBA/PSP you can be watching a movie/TV show/playing another RPG on your TV and then just look at the screen every once in a while
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

Valkyrie-Favor wrote:SNES Game Boy Player is the best way to go at home.

Do you mean the Super Game Boy or do you mean the Game Boy Player?
Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

Post by Valkyrie-Favor »

Super Game Boy, sorry.
Tsun tsun dere tsun dere tsun tsun~ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . UPDATED trade list
noiseredux wrote:Playing on your GBA/PSP you can be watching a movie/TV show/playing another RPG on your TV and then just look at the screen every once in a while
Zing
Next-Gen

Post by Zing »

Jungell wrote:So would you say that it's possible to actually play a game on the color? My sessions usually last about an hour, give or take. Will my eyes bleed? :P

This is an odd question. I've played through Link's Awakening and part of Metroid II so far on my color, sometimes playing for hours.
Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay
xan_racketBOY_fan
Next-Gen

Post by xan_racketBOY_fan »

I personally enjoy playing the GB games on the Color, with this nifty add-on.

*It may look like a blinding light in the photo, but that's not the case. Cool little LED.
Jungell
24-bit

Post by Jungell »

Thanks guys!

I will probably get a pocket or a color (most likely both, in due time). It would have been lovely to plug them into the TV, but as I said, I'm a bit of a purist so I don't think it would be as enjoyable for me. You know, sometime you just want the real deal!

But it seems like some of you are still playing in your golden oldies, which is promising. I just hope it's not the nostalgia talking!
"Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. I'm off to play Sega"-HAL 9000
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

Post by Key-Glyph »

Woah! That LED thing is cool! I have a Light Boy and I gotta say... it doesn't do a whole lot. :lol: I thought it was amazing when I was a kid, though.

Why did I stick with the Pocket? One reason is that I will never modify my original Game Boy. I want it to stay the way it's always been for purely emotional reasons. Another issue is that I don't like the way the SP feels. The biggest one, though, is that I have issues with backlit screens; if there isn't an option to crank them down to a super-dim setting, playing is uncomfortable. I seem to remember the SP being very bright and lacking adjustments, but it's honestly been so long since I touched the thing that I'm not entirely sure that's true.

If my DS Phat or DS Lite could play original GB games, my Pocket would probably go into hibernation. I love those systems. They feel great, sound great, and their lighting is fantastic for me. The Phat's glow is modest and the Lite has several settings in between that and supernova.

I don't know why I don't have this brightness problem with television screens, though. I enjoy my Game Boy Player a lot, but I do prefer to retain the personal feeling of playing a handheld when nobody's around to be an audience.

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
sabrage
Next-Gen

Post by sabrage »

Yeah, I don't like my PSP on the bus because the guy behind me is always watching me play over my shoulder. The screen is too big.