Any tips on "breaking" Xenogears and Chrono Trigger?

Level up here
Godot102
64-bit

Re: Any tips on "breaking" Xenogears and Chrono Trigger?

Post by Godot102 »

^^Thats a good question! To be honest other than very early on in the game I don't think it really mattered a whole lot. I was able to get through the entire game without paying too much attention to it.
Yancakes
64-bit

Post by Yancakes »

Heh, found out what it does over at the gamespot forums, of all places.

Nothing, apparently.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

That's hilarious and I'm not surprised, because when you kept bringing it up in this thread I was just like "wtf is he talking about?" :lol: , no wonder I don't remember it .
Yancakes
64-bit

Post by Yancakes »

Xeogred wrote:That's hilarious and I'm not surprised, because when you kept bringing it up in this thread I was just like "wtf is he talking about?" :lol: , no wonder I don't remember it .

Hehe, it feels almost like a red herring.
Yancakes
64-bit

Post by Yancakes »

Well, I just hit a point in Xenogears that has such a long chain of scripted scenes that there was a save point in the middle.

As I progress through the game, I find I have to, more and more, agree with GamePro's review of it. It's not a bad game, but it's definitely not worthy, so far, of the high level of esteem in which it is held.

"A relentlessly slow plot, plodding dialogue, and the unfortunate fumble of the robot interfaces's potential keeps Xenogears out of that stratosphere enjoyed by its far superior cousin, "Final Fantasy VII.""

EDIT: Though I'm not sure comparing it to FFVII is even fair, while they're both Square RPGs they're both pretty damn different from each other. Still, though.
Godot102
64-bit

Post by Godot102 »

Well the thing with Xenogears is that the plot is so vast that It is not even fully explained in the game(Hence the episode 5 at the ending). Pick up a translated copy of the art book for further explanation on the plot. Also disc 2 is a giant tease!
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Well it eventually becomes apparent (disc 2 lol) that Square was probably putting their money into other developments, people seem to always bring up FFVIII here. So Xenogears was probably running on a lower and rushed budget. I've always heard rumors that if it sold a million there would have been a sequel, but it was just shy of it hitting 900k or something.

What could have been...
Yancakes
64-bit

Post by Yancakes »

Yeah I've heard disc 2 is basically a wall of text. It definitely had a lot of potential, but some of the problems are just too overwhelming.
Godot102
64-bit

Post by Godot102 »

In disc 2 the "walls of text" described a whole bunch of important events and battles and your sitting there thinking to yourself "WHY CANT I ACTUALLY PLAY THIS PART!?" The Gear fighting minigame was fun even though it was a button masher.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Disc 2 doesn't ruin the game for me though, it's definitely "what could have been..." but I sunk in like 40 hours on the first disc so it wasn't a deal breaker, heh. The story stays awesome, but yeah they definitely cut corners around the end in terms of game design and leaving unfinished dungeons/etc out of the game.